Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

!!

0rauDSe.png

Thank you! Glad to see (I think) you took my compromise into consideration! :laugh:

Edited by CM4Sci

Eh, actually this has no relevance for me anymore as I decided to go only with real existing "real life" brick colors combinations with my MOCs starting with this contest onward... :tongue::devil:

BTW

Just being curious: what if there will be let's say only 10 participants in this contest or even less (purely hypothetically, of course :grin: ) - do you have some sort of minimum expected participants before you go to say the contest is canceled or nevermind the number of participants it will stay? :look:

Edited by Superkalle
removed large qouted text of rule change

BTW

Just being curious: what if there will be let's say only 10 participants in this contest or even less (purely hypothetically, of course :grin: ) - do you have some sort of minimum expected participants before you go to say the contest is canceled or nevermind the number of participants it will stay? :look:

Don't think it has ever happened at EB that a contest has too few entries that this has never been a question.

Don't think it has ever happened at EB that a contest has too few entries that this has never been a question.

That was not the answer to my question "what if" but OK, whatever (I see you are not willing answer that question for some reason - there could be simple "yes" or "no"...or does it mean you consider not worth it to answer hypothetical questions? Nevermind...) + now as you've removed complete quoted text and as my question is not right under the questioned/quoted text how can one know what am I refering to in case one is curious about the source of the question (from time to time I have feeling EB stuff is "overdoing" themselves)? You could leave there at least the questioned part so it would be clear to anybody what is it all about without need to scroll to some previous pages of this topic to find out because now it looks as I for some reason answering to the previous poster which have no logic whatsoever...

Another question:

When is a entry considered being "new theme"? Should not new theme has some of its own kind-of rules so that every model in that theme correspond to them? If it all it needs is some "new" color combination - Isn't it a bit "not enough" for saying "Hey, this is my new theme because I come up with new color combo...because I said so"?

Now if we look into past for some reference as to what new (sub)theme is (in many TLG cases, specifically SPACE themes cos that is where I am "at home" therefor I can speak about): every new (sub)theme introduced some new principles specific to that theme, not just the color combo, for example:

Blacktron: models were modular so that one could combine them between each other creating new hybrid models = there was compatible connection principle between models so they always fit

Blacktron II: every mid/big model included kind of smaller spacecraft (those ones with trans-neon green "ball" cockpit) that fits between respective mid/big sets - it was interchangeable and was kind of "recognition sign" of this theme

M-tron: all models included magnets - main "recognition sign" of this theme

etc.

I mean - in case this is really meant seriously - one should provide some real clues as on what "principles" is his (sub)theme(s) made of - what is expected to be in all models of respective theme to be called "the theme" (whatever the name of the theme is).

Edited by bublible

I removed your quote because it felt unnecessary to quote my post with the entire rule addendum. Large quotes in general just take up real estate, and it would have been better if you trimmed it down yourself from the beginning. You shouldn't overanalyze my action though - no harm meant. :classic:

About consequences if there are too few participants - I didn't give you an answer because I simply don't have one and I don't think it adds value to think about it until the problem arises. I hope you find that OK?

Also about the question about theme - I'm not sure what the question was, or if it was more a request? Anyway, I think the rules are as clear and extensive as they can be. We've given the possibility to explain the theme background story etc, and if people want to explain the theme principle, they are free to do so.

I removed your quote because it felt unnecessary to quote my post with the entire rule addendum. Large quotes in general just take up real estate, and it would have been better if you trimmed it down yourself from the beginning. You shouldn't overanalyze my action though - no harm meant. :classic:

Hey, I am not "over-analyzing" anything :laugh: : just saying that I guess it would be fine leave at last one sentence in question so it is clear as what I was reffering to, that's all I was saying (actually I am all for stripping long unnecessary stuff from posts).

About consequences if there are too few participants - I didn't give you an answer because I simply don't have one and I don't think it adds value to think about it until the problem arises. I hope you find that OK?

Yes, this is real answer. :classic:

Also about the question about theme - I'm not sure what the question was, or if it was more a request? Anyway, I think the rules are as clear and extensive as they can be. We've given the possibility to explain the theme background story etc, and if people want to explain the theme principle, they are free to do so.

I am not talking about rules being not clear, I was rather saying that a theme - at least for me and as I look into past also for many TLG themes - should have more to it than just "some new brick color combination + not being anything that already was/is there"...like having some stuff that is present across all theme's models (for example: interchagable things between respective models, specific parts that needs to be present in every model of that theme etc. - simply some "recognition signs" of respective theme, not just color). :wink:

Edited by bublible

Just a reminder, not all parts/colors combinations in LDD "normal" mode exist in real bricks... So if you have a doubt, just check on Bricklink with the part number, you'll get all the available colors. :wink:

Just a reminder, not all parts/colors combinations in LDD "normal" mode exist in real bricks... So if you have a doubt, just check on Bricklink with the part number, you'll get all the available colors. :wink:

To complement: for Bricklink, “Known colors” are colors that appear in a set, so some colors are still available (and sold) but are not “known.”

And be careful with rare colors, if there are only very few sellers for a “unknown” color, it’s often because of an error by those sellers.

Can't wait to participate. Of course, my model won't look that professional since my computer doesn't support the LDD rendering program. :sceptic:

To complement: for Bricklink, “Known colors” are colors that appear in a set, so some colors are still available (and sold) but are not “known.”

And be careful with rare colors, if there are only very few sellers for a “unknown” color, it’s often because of an error by those sellers.

And in addition to that there are also - in some extremely rare cases - brick & colors combos that were produced in extremely small numbers (sometimes less than 10 pcs!!!) and are not available on BrickLink or anywhere else, and are not listed not even as unknown, so it is a question now: can we use such bricks that there is no mention about them anywhere but were demonstrably produced (with their pictures and "story" behind their existence - if needed - tho be it only for some of TLG presentations, therefor just a few people, basically 2 or 3 maximally might posses them actually...for example trans-dark blue part 4737, normally only in light gray, blue and black)?

And in addition to that there are also - in some extremely rare cases - brick & colors combos that were produced in extremely small numbers (sometimes less than 10 pcs!!!) and are not available on BrickLink or anywhere else, and are not listed not even as unknown, so it is a question now: can we use such bricks that there is no mention about them anywhere but were demonstrably produced (with their pictures and "story" behind their existence - if needed - tho be it only for some of TLG presentations, therefor just a few people, basically 2 or 3 maximally might posses them actually...for example trans-dark blue part 4737, normally only in light gray, blue and black)?

If it ain't on BrickLink then you can't use it.

Great contest! I already have a cool idea, but I have a question: Can we do a picture-in-picture to show alternate modes/views of our models?

Great contest! I already have a cool idea, but I have a question: Can we do a picture-in-picture to show alternate modes/views of our models?

yes, we can (if you would only look at already posted entries you would notice it yourself imediately :sweet: )...

What an amazing contest! Digital + a new theme is simply fantastic!

Are there LDD icons added to personal profile as prizes for participants ?

Edited by matoli

What an amazing contest! Digital + a new theme is simply fantastic!

Are there LDD icons added to personal profile as prizes for participants ?

Not sure. Normally, the icons are given to members that have been active in the DD forum for some time, have some expertise and/or have added value to the forum, for example adding models to the Official Sets topic, indexing topics or similar.

I think I know what I'll make, will need to remember how to work with studded pieces...

Question, after we're done posting an entry on the entry topic, is it allowed to make a separate post about our entry on a different, but appropriate subforum?

Question, after we're done posting an entry on the entry topic, is it allowed to make a separate post about our entry on a different, but appropriate subforum?

Sure, no problem :classic:

For the maximum of 10 models, is that literally 10 models, or 10 sets, with the possibility of multiple models per set? What is the definition of "model"?

For the maximum of 10 models, is that literally 10 models, or 10 sets, with the possibility of multiple models per set? What is the definition of "model"?

10 models is what we thought

If you make a model like, say a Cafe Corner style house, and add some loose elements around it (like a bicyle, or some brick-built tree), then that's naturally OK as part of that model. The same if you make a firetruck, and have some minifigs standing around holding some attachments or whatever.

But to have two vehicles in a "set", so that you get a theoretical total of 20 vehicles, then that's not OK.

The limit of 10 was set to allow you guys to have enough room to explain the theme idea and we hope that 10 models and 5000 bricks is enough to do that.

Does that answer the question?

These days, it seems to be very common for sets to have more than one model. 5000 bricks in only 10 models is an average of 500 bricks per model, and I'm not sure very many themes have that type of average.

Look at a minifig-based theme like the upcoming Volcano Explorers theme, for example. Using the numbers available on Brickset (and not counting the polybag since no piece count is listed), I come up with a total of 3013 pieces and 20 models in six sets, for an average of about 151 pieces per model. (I didn't count minifigs or the boulders or other obvious accessories.)

If modular components are connected, do they count as one model?

Seriously?

I'm done with my entry. There's at least 2 vehicles in every set. COME ON.