Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

This is the rule I'm referring to, and it's been there from the start. I even went back to look at the draft we did before launching the contest, and it's the same wordings:

"Although it's possible to use all brick/color combinations when building digital, to keep it fair, use only released color/part combinations, i.e. what can be find on BrickLink."

Neither me nor legolijntes, are going to go through the entries to check so that all brick/color combos exist in real life, so you need to do that yourself. And no, we're not going to disqualify someone for missing to spot a single little brick that is in an unreleased part/color combo, but if it's too many or too obvious I'm sure either we, or someone else, will see it.

And don't forget you can use any decorations/stickers as described in the rules to add color accents too.

Rrgh, yet I need to use the updated parka hood for these figures and only the old, not so good version comes in black. There can't be an exception for that? :sceptic:

Edited by CM4Sci

Rrgh, yet I need to use the updated parka hood for these figures and only the old, not so good version comes in black. There can't be an exception for that? :sceptic:

Sorry, no. We'd be swamped with requests for exceptions....

Sorry, no. We'd be swamped with requests for exceptions....

How about this - there's a new rule that states you can have up to... 5 new color combinations in your entire theme. We have to list them/show them to prove it. That's a little better, eh? :sad:

Very cool idea! :)

However I have a few questions:

Are you allowed to compete as a team of two people?

And finally why exactly can we only use bricks that are available in the right colour in real life?

Very cool idea! :)

However I have a few questions:

Are you allowed to compete as a team of two people?

And finally why exactly can we only use bricks that are available in the right colour in real life?

Because they think it's fair to have the contest as if you were building with physical bricks, in existing colors. Even though I think we should be able to use the unlimited colors of LDD to our full extent, especially when new themes introduces new colors of pieces all the time.

Still waiting for a response on my 5 custom color combos compromise...

EDIT: This was my 6000th post. Wooo.

Edited by CM4Sci

Super prizes, just a shame I'm completely incapable of using the design tools despite several attemps. I just don't have the patience, but look forward to seeing what folks come up with.

Look how many are grumping about the clearly specified and clear cut “existing colors only” rule.

Now imagine all the “negociations” there would be if they start to compromise…. :tongue:

Sorry, but I'm afraid we're going to have to say no and stick with the rules as they are.

Superkalle,

Is there any chance we'll see an update for LDD Manager that works with 4.3.9? If not, what's the next best solution for checking "real" parts?

Superkalle,

Is there any chance we'll see an update for LDD Manager that works with 4.3.9? If not, what's the next best solution for checking "real" parts?

Hey, I know you were not asking me but if I can tell what I am doing in such case: I always go to www.bricklink.com and there at the top of the webpage I enter the brick in question into search field (with ALL ITEMS option selected) and it works for me like a charm when it comes to existing colors for specific brick... :wink: )

Edited by bublible

I really want to know what exactly the point of making it a digital designing contest is supposed to be if we can't use one of the prime advantages of digital design, namely the unlimited palette.

Hey, I know you were not asking me but if I can tell what I am doing in such case: I always go to www.bricklink.com and there at the top of the webpage I enter the brick in question into search field (with ALL ITEMS option selected) and it works for me like a charm when it comes to existing colors for specific brick... :wink: )

Yes, I'm familiar with that method, though when dealing with a model with potentially dozens of elements, it's nice to have a faster way to check. I've used LDD Manager in the past with very good success.

Yes, I'm familiar with that method, though when dealing with a model with potentially dozens of elements, it's nice to have a faster way to check. I've used LDD Manager in the past with very good success.

You could create a new Private MOC over on rebrickable. That makes it easy to check most parts.

Superkalle,

I don't have any such plans at the moment. It takes quite some work to map the bricks and do other maintenance, and I'm not sure how to keep up the interest. I'm was thinking about making it donorware at one time to get a little reward, but that never happened.

Next best solution is probably to manually check uncertain brick/color combos against BrickLink.

I really want to know what exactly the point of making it a digital designing contest is supposed to be if we can't use one of the prime advantages of digital design, namely the unlimited palette.

I think I've given a fair explanation about how we came to this decision in previous posts and I'm not sure what more I can add, but I'll try. :look:

First, let me say I can definitely respect your opinion, and the term "digital design contest" can be interpreted in many ways. In previous contest we often had a bonus prize for those builder that also made the digital MOC with physcial bricks, but at least we dropped that this time and made it "all digital". So I guess that's where the name "digital design contest" came from.

As for the prime advantage of digital design, for a lot of people it's not the unlimited brick/color combo palette, but rather that you have access to unlimited number of bricks in the (existing) bricks/colors and can then experiment and test before placing those expensive order on BrickLink. So even though it's a digital design contest, we still thought we'd retain some connection to the physical bricks (...and even though the contest goal is "create your own theme").

I guess it's also part of getting the contest interesting for voters even outside the hard-core digital community. I mean, a lot of getting impressed with a MOC is getting awestruck by how the builder managed to get such a cool model within the limitations of the bricks/colors that is LEGO.

I hope that explains it all.

As for the prime advantage of digital design, for a lot of people it's not the unlimited brick/color combo palette, but rather that you have access to unlimited number of bricks in the (existing) bricks/colors and can then experiment and test before placing those expensive order on BrickLink. So even though it's a digital design contest, we still thought we'd retain some connection to the physical bricks (...and even though the contest goal is "create your own theme").

Yeah, but that's pretty much what goes on (for many) in order to make a final, concrete model. So this contest is more or less about "the 80% of the work of a normal MOC", and not really related to 3D, unless it's about rendering detail showoff.

(it's not a complaint, I've already posted my entry which follows that restriction, anyway)

This is an awesome contest and i am full of inspiration and i love using LDD .. there is only one small big issue:

I understand the "colour" rule.. but i also think that rule limits me too much. The advantage of digital building, is creating everything you want. and that is not so with this rule.

I have no way of checking if the colour if every parts i use is has been produced.

I will try to see if i can find a way to build with only exising colours. but i think i have to pass.

:thumbdown::cry_sad:

Yeah, but that's pretty much what goes on (for many) in order to make a final, concrete model. So this contest is more or less about "the 80% of the work of a normal MOC", and not really related to 3D, unless it's about rendering detail showoff.

(it's not a complaint, I've already posted my entry which follows that restriction, anyway)

This is an awesome contest and i am full of inspiration and i love using LDD .. there is only one small big issue:

I understand the "colour" rule.. but i also think that rule limits me too much. The advantage of digital building, is creating everything you want. and that is not so with this rule.

I have no way of checking if the colour if every parts i use is has been produced.

I will try to see if i can find a way to build with only exising colours. but i think i have to pass.

:thumbdown::cry_sad:

Now, as I think of it more I guess many of you did not understand it right: most probably it is meant basically as normal real life brick build except (with the advantage of) you do not need to go and buy all your needed/desired bricks first (thus loosing a lot of money in some cases) to be able build your model (in case you do not have them) - this way you can use any number of them without spending a single penny/cent on your design, so think of it rather as a real brick build just in virtual space therefor anyone, even the purest guys can build something and be able participating on this contest (@Superkalle and @legoljintje may correct me in my understanding of this stuff if I am somewhat wrong)... :wink:

Edited by bublible

Now, as I think of it more I guess many of you did not understand it right: most probably it is meant basically as normal real life brick build except (with the advantage of) you do not need to go and buy all your needed/desired bricks first (thus loosing a lot of money in some cases) to be able build your model (in case you do not have them) - this way you can use any number of them without spending a single penny/cent on your design

makes sense

(I assume you decided this because a theme required several models & would have costed a lot)

To me the problem of having to buy the bricks btw, isn't so much about money but the time it takes to gather them, through the often unreliable BL, making it a high risk of missing the contest's deadline, which is why I never entered any.

To me the problem of having to buy the bricks btw, isn't so much about money but the time it takes to gather them, through the often unreliable BL, making it a high risk of missing the contest's deadline, which is why I never entered any.

...and yes this including as a reason too, you are right :wink:

Is using arrows edited into the screenshot to indicate functions of models allowed (assuming, of course, that you also provide at least one proper, clear image of the model in question)?

Do we have to provide a .lxf file (or similar) to prove that no illegal pieces/colors/techniques were used "behind the scenes"?

Do we have to provide a .lxf file (or similar) to prove that no illegal pieces/colors/techniques were used "behind the scenes"?

No, you don't have too provide the LXF. And what's hidden doesn't really matter I suppose - it's what can be seen that is important.

Is using arrows edited into the screenshot to indicate functions of models allowed (assuming, of course, that you also provide at least one proper, clear image of the model in question)?

Yes

Am I allowed to add pieces in colors that are coming out in future sets? For example, that inverted 1x2 curved slope piece, it's only out in Aqua right now but it's coming in black (I think) this summer in the Ninjago Lighthouse Siege set.

IMPORTANT RULE UPDATE

After the discussion in this topic about not being able to use any new/unexisting part/color combos, we did some thinking. Since the contest goal was "design your own theme" and digital tools actually allow the use of any color, in retrospect it feels fair to at least allow a few new color combos. This would also mimic the situation that LEGO Designers have, as they can request some new colors per year/theme. So we decided on the following rule adjustment:

Current rule:

Although it's possible to use all brick/color combinations when building digital, to keep it fair, use only released color/part combinations, i.e. what can be find on BrickLink.

New addition to above rule:

In addition to this, you are allowed to use max 5 new/own combos in total for your proposed theme. List any new combos you use in your entry post so it's clear which they are.

FAQ:

Q1: Can I use 5 new bricks per model, or is it for the entire theme?

A: It is for the entire theme.

Q2: Will you check so that I use max 5 new combos?

A: No, we are not going to check each entry for using max 5 new combos, or even if the color combo has already been produced, so we trust you do this yourself (or risk that it's being spotted by your peers or by voters).

Q3: Why only 5 new combos - that doesn't sound like much?

A: Well, at least the situation for this contest is far better then for any LEGO Designer, because you have access to ALL possible color combos ever produced, whereas a LEGO Designer only has access to the "active" parts, i.e. those that are in production now.

Q4: How did you come to the number 5. Why not 10 or 20?

A: 5 bricks is a trade-off. For some new themes (Chima etc) there are probably more then five, but for some other, like Creator, no new color combos are allowed at all. So 5 is a trade-off.