Superkalle

[2016 Digital Design Contest] - Rules, prizes and questions

Just a random question--will we do better with six sets rather than three? If I have until April 30th and have much better chances if I design six sets by then, should I?

Could we do a series or theme that TLG wouldn't release, such as some semi-violent or war related?

I'm probably stupid, but I can't figure out what the latter half of that sentence means.

Regardless, cool contest. Gonna be fun seeing all the entries.

Haha, it's indeed a little weird sentence. I believe it means that we encourage people to vote for the best models and not just vote on a particular entry because 'That movie was super cool!" while the models are something a 3 year old could build with his feet, as an extreme example :wink:

We don't forbid anything and everyone is free to vote whatever he/she likes, it's just a... tip I guess.

Just a random question--will we do better with six sets rather than three? If I have until April 30th and have much better chances if I design six sets by then, should I?

It's completely up to you if you make 3 or 6 sets. The rules state a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 10 with a total part count of 5000.

Could we do a series or theme that TLG wouldn't release, such as some semi-violent or war related?

Yes, no problem.

People, c'mon: how's that after a day I am still the only participant? :look::grin:

Do we have to make a separate WIP topic? I've seen that with the technic contests and I wonder if it is oke to do.

Do we have to make a separate WIP topic? I've seen that with the technic contests and I wonder if it is oke to do.

It's not a problem if you create a WIP topic, but it's not a must either. That's completely up to you. If you do want to create a WIP (or presentation) topic, please post it in the subforum that best fits your idea (unless Superkalle would like to keep everything here, Superkalle? :grin: ).

As long as you post your entry in the entry topic in this subforum, you're free to do what you want regarding posting your idea/models/whatever. It's yours after all :classic:

It's not a problem if you create a WIP topic, but it's not a must either. That's completely up to you. If you do want to create a WIP (or presentation) topic, please post it in the subforum that best fits your idea (unless Superkalle would like to keep everything here, Superkalle? :grin: ).

As long as you post your entry in the entry topic in this subforum, you're free to do what you want regarding posting your idea/models/whatever. It's yours after all :classic:

I agree, no problem to create a WIP topic. Just to say - the purpose of the "comment and discussion topic" created here in this forum was to gather everything together. But if you want to create a WIP topic in another forum, no problem...may even help to spread some interest of the contest for those who mainly read the other forums at EB :classic:

I'm probably stupid, but I can't figure out what the latter half of that sentence means.

No, you're not...it's just that I get messed up in my own wordings sometime.... :laugh:

...and legolijntjes deciphered it correctly. :classic:

People, c'mon: how's that after a day I am still the only participant? :look::grin:

I think you'll be alone for some time until the rest of the gang struggles to get into the starting blocks :tongue:

I think you'll be alone for some time until the rest of the gang struggles to get into the starting blocks :tongue:

OK, no problem...actually it is good (for me) cos it gives me some extra time to "polish" my 9 MOC additions for my Techtroners Space subtheme entry. :laugh:

I've been coming up with a theme concept/spinoff for a while. I guess this is my excuse to polish it and sand down the amount of parts to a reasonable number. Is using a number of small parts as stand-ins for parts not in LDD/new molds allowed?

Don't worry! I usually design my MOCs to look like real sets, plus that takes a while. We're all still thinking! ;)

Don't worry! I usually design my MOCs to look like real sets, plus that takes a while. We're all still thinking! ;)

Understood...meanwhile I am finishing my last 9th addition (with only like 130 pcs that left from 5000 pcs overall limit :grin: ) :wink:

Edited by bublible

I've been coming up with a theme concept/spinoff for a while. I guess this is my excuse to polish it and sand down the amount of parts to a reasonable number. Is using a number of small parts as stand-ins for parts not in LDD/new molds allowed?

Yes, I would say it's OK.

The main point with the rule of "not using custom parts" is that you can't create/model your own parts. For LDD this is not an issue since it's not possible, so the rule is mostly aimed at Ldraw tools, where this is possible.

Understood...meanwhile I am finishing my last 9th addition (with only like 130 pcs that left from 5000 pcs overall limit :grin: ) :wink:

Oooh that's ok you being first.

Your entry is disqualified anyways.

Rule #3 Your models should be new and not posted before on the internet.

Your Techtroners have been around for a while.

And you are way over the limit of 5 pictures.

Better get cracking on a new theme :wink:

Oooh that's ok you being first.

Your entry is disqualified anyways.

Rule #3 Your models should be new and not posted before on the internet.

Your Techtroners have been around for a while.

And you are way over the limit of 5 pictures.

Better get cracking on a new theme :wink:

What??? :wacko:

None of the displayed MOCs were ever displayed anywhere else besides the contest (basically I finished them during yesterday just for this cause, for the contest) - I understood the rules like that one cannot post MOCs that were already posted somewhere, not that the subtheme itself needs to be some completely new from the scratch but rather new in terms of "not of any already known/present TLG subthemes"...can @legolijntje or @Superkalle clarify this? :look:

Also, can you admin guys confirm that I am being disqualified because of that?

P.S.: limit is 10 if I read it right...at least 3, max. 10, with max resolution of 1024x768 - I've posted 9

Edited by bublible

"The models have to be physically buildable, so no floating bricks and such."

--> say the models are spaceships, does the rendering need a virtual display stand, or is it ok to show them "floating" (just like Lego would do on their boxes)?

"Renders are allowed but photoshoping in other parts, backdrop, box-art etc into your images is not allowed."

--> does that also exclude the theme's name? That is, presented as a logo?

Edited by anothergol

What??? :wacko:

None of the displayed MOCs were ever displayed anywhere else besides the contest (basically I finished them during yesterday just for this cause, for the contest) - I understood the rules like that one cannot post MOCs that were already posted somewhere, not that the subtheme itself needs to be some completely new from the scratch but rather new in terms of "not of any already known/present TLG subthemes"...can @legolijntje or @Superkalle clarify this? :look:

Also, can you admin guys confirm that I am being disqualified because of that?

P.S.: limit is 10 if I read it right...at least 3, max. 10, with max resolution of 1024x768 - I've posted 9

About images - it's max 5 images (and max 10 models).

As for the MOCs, now that I had a chance to look, they do seem to be exactly like what you've already posted on the Sci-Fi forum, and very similar to what you posted on other LEGO sites, so it feels a bit like you're recycling. I'll have to confer with legolijtnjes about it.

I have just edited my entry leaving only 5 as required...

As for the MOCs, now that I had a chance to look, they do seem to be exactly like what you've already posted on the Sci-Fi forum, and very similar to what you posted on other LEGO sites, so it feels a bit like you're recycling. I'll have to confer with legolijtnjes about it.

No, none of them were never ever presented anywhere...you will not find any of them nowhere except this entry. :wink:

No, none of them were never ever presented anywhere...you will not find any of them nowhere except this entry. :wink:

Note that this contest is about a new theme.

So if you already published some work related to this theme, even if the single models are original, the theme can be considered "already seen".

So the question is... did you already published something related to this theme? (it is the white-yellow sci-fi hospital theme, isn't it?)

Note that this contest is about a new theme.

So if you already published some work related to this theme, even if the single models are original, the theme can be considered "already seen".

So the question is... did you already published something related to this theme? (it is the white-yellow sci-fi hospital theme, isn't it?)

In that case you can delete my entry, of course, cos Techtroners are here for sometime now as @BasOne said, tho specific entry MOCs were not presented anywhere (they are brand new). :sceptic:

Just side note: no, it is not space hospital theme - it was just one MOC of hospital from Techtroners subtheme. :wink:

Edited by bublible

How do I add a link to my contest entry in the comment thread? I'm new here and haven't seen a FAQ on this topic.

In that case you can delete my entry, of course, cos Techtroners are here for sometime now as @BasOne said, tho specific entry MOCs were not presented anywhere (they are brand new). :sceptic:

It's a tricky case, but we decided to OK the entry. Even if you've posted the theme idea elsewhere (and it's your own theme idea), the models seems to be new like you say.

But remember, you do still have 5 weeks for the deadline, so if you want to come up with another theme idea, there's still plenty of time.

"The models have to be physically buildable, so no floating bricks and such."

--> say the models are spaceships, does the rendering need a virtual display stand, or is it ok to show them "floating" (just like Lego would do on their boxes)?

"Renders are allowed but photoshoping in other parts, backdrop, box-art etc into your images is not allowed."

--> does that also exclude the theme's name? That is, presented as a logo?

Sure, it's OK to render airships and stuff like you describe.

Yes, you can design and add a theme logo into the pictures. That's OK.

How do I add a link to my contest entry in the comment thread? I'm new here and haven't seen a FAQ on this topic.

There must be a FAQ somewhere here on EB about how to create links. I don't know to be honest - never had that question before. (if someone finds the FAQ, please post it here). Otherwise, you just mark the word you want to have as a link, then click the "link" button in the toolbar, and then paste the link to the post (the post link you can find by right clicking on the post count # to the right in the post banner.

It's a tricky case, but we decided to OK the entry. Even if you've posted the theme idea elsewhere (and it's your own theme idea), the models seems to be new like you say.

But remember, you do still have 5 weeks for the deadline, so if you want to come up with another theme idea, there's still plenty of time.

Ah, thank you then guys - appreciated a lot! :thumbup:

BTW in fact I immediately did begin to work on a new subtheme idea but this one - if anything can come up from it, we will see in coming few days - would not fit anywhere: as of now I am calling it "Undersand" and as its name suggests it should be civilization living under (that is inside) sand as their technology allowing them moving inbetween sand withou much resistance, like when one is swimming in water or so. I have only few sratches of the first design, you know, finding colors, shapes, idea behind it all...but as of now I would stick with Techtroners, thank you once more. :wink:

Just to be sure I won't do anything wrong and that I understand things right:

I really do not know how to interpret this - how can 10 sets be presented in only 5 images? If it was vice-versa (5 sets on max 10 images) then I would understand it with no problem (every set would have 2 images) - @Superkalle, can you explain this more, please? :wacko:

Another question:

Can there be something like mosaic of several other renders of the same model into one picture showing its intended modularities like this (maybe without the "explanatory" writings if you want):

691512_5.jpg

And also:

What is the final conclusion about bricks in not existent color combinations? that is: existing bricks, existing LEGO colors but not existing combination? :look:

Edited by bublible

Just side note: no, it is not space hospital theme - it was just one MOC of hospital from Techtroners subtheme. :wink:

Eheh ok, I thought it was a sort of specialized space agency/organization, a sort of sci-fi Red Cross. :classic:

I really do not know how to interpret this - how can 10 sets be presented in only 5 images?

You'll need to put up to two models in a single image, or any other combination that suits the rules. For example you can reserve a single image to show all the theme, and other images with one or more sets shown in more details or on the back side.

I suppose the five image limit is due to avoid enormous posts that are very difficult to browse.

What is the final conclusion about bricks in not existent color combinations? that is: existing bricks, existing LEGO colors but not existing combination? :look:

If I understood correctly, only bricks existing in real life are allowed. That means you are limited to an existing design/colour combination.