PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

Just now, Robert8 said:

I also find that WB and LEGO need to give a look at the LEGO cinematic universe overall, because all the movies have s very similar theme

The LEGO Movie - Daddy issues (Finn - The Man Upstairs)

The Batman Movie - Daddy issues (Alfred - Batman - Robin)

The Ninjago Movie - Daddy issues (Garmadon - Lloyd)

The LEGO Movie 2 - Lord Business is actually Emmet's father, and they try to bond awkwardly

The Billion Brick Race - Crossover with all the LEGO movies with father issues from all, and the human part is a kid dealing with his relationship with his absentee father who is a NASCAR racer

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

I also find that WB and LEGO need to give a look at the LEGO cinematic universe overall, because all the movies have s very similar theme

Lego Movie 2 is supposedly going to work in more of a female perspective, which will be a welcome relief, I think.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

There was an article last month from Screen Rant which addressed this particular issue. Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's intentional for the sake of continuity.

But, from what we've heard so far, that should change with the advent of The Lego Movie sequel, instead shifting the focus over towards Finn's sister.

I think someone at WB or LEGO has major daddy issues and is just projecting into the movies 

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

But, from what we've heard so far, that should change with the advent of The Lego Movie sequel, instead shifting the focus over towards Finn's sister.

O great, so it will be about the sister's daddy issues now :laugh: jk

On 10/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, Robert8 said:

I think to some extent this is coincidental. Not the idea of the movies exploring themes of family — that much is almost certainly deliberate, since it's a common thread in lots of animated movies that's proven to help kids and adults alike relate to them. But in terms of exploring father-son dynamics in particular, Batman/Robin and Lloyd Garmadon/Lord Garmadon had those dynamics well before The LEGO Movie came out, so I figure once LEGO and Warner Bros. settled on Batman and Ninjago as the next two movie-worthy IPs, those characters' family relationships were the obvious starting point.

Also, I think simplifying the movies' themes to "daddy issues" kind of obfuscates the major differences between them. It's true that in both The LEGO Movie and The LEGO Ninjago Movie, we're seeing the story of a child-like character who feels threatened by his emotionally distant father figure. In The LEGO Batman Movie, though, the main character is a grown-up orphan who takes his nearest living father figure for granted until he's called on to become a father and start a family of his own. Furthermore, The LEGO Batman Movie's main protagonist-antagonist relationship is coded as romantic rather than familial, even if Batman's angst over the loss of his parents remains the primary stumbling block between him and any kind of serious interpersonal relationship.

On 24/10/2017 at 1:15 PM, Aanchir said:

Furthermore, The LEGO Batman Movie's main protagonist-antagonist relationship is coded as romantic rather than familial, even if Batman's angst over the loss of his parents remains the primary stumbling block between him and any kind of serious interpersonal relationship.

Batman.. with the Joker?

12 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Batman.. with the Joker?

Yep. Even if it’s not meant to literally be romantic, their dynamic plays around with tropes and turns of phrase associated with romance — only playfully substituting “hate” for “love”, “bad guy” for “boyfriend/girlfriend”, and so forth for comedic effect. So many of their little quips parody the kind of things you might hear in the romance movies Batman loves so much.

I finally got around to watching and it was okay ,kinda disappointing but still okay ,but the trailers revealed way way too much and what the balrog was going on every time they said ultimate, that was bad. 

Some news regarding home release - LEGO Ninjago Movie will be available as a Digital HD download starting from December 12th, while the physical forms (DVD, Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray) will be available starting from December 19th. No rewards announced yet :/

So, it's been 2 months and The LEGO Ninjago Movie grossed $121.5 million with a $70 million budget. So, This thing pretty much flopped

The LEGO Movie was a huge success grossing $470 million with a $60 million budget

The LEGO Batman Movie grossed $312 million with a $80 million budget. It's oke, but I'd say it under-performed

But Ninjago *oh2* Well, at least they didn't lose money with this.....

35 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

The LEGO Ninjago Movie grossed $121.5 million with a $70 million budget. So, This thing pretty much flopped

I don't know what's the meaning of "flopped" in the movie industry anymore.... because making gross sales of almost twice the budget looks like a success to me, even though it's not a blockbuster movie like its predecessors.

Just now, makoy said:

I don't know what's the meaning of "flopped" in the movie industry anymore.... because making gross sales of almost twice the budget looks like a success to me, even though it's not a blockbuster movie like its predecessors.

A good rule of thumb is that a movie should make back double its reported budget to be firmly in the black. The additional revenue covers marketing and other studio costs that aren't factored into actually *making* the movie.

So, TLMN only earning back 170% of the reported budget means it is in kind of a grey zone, but I'm sure that the relatively lean advertising campaign kept the cost down. Add in the toy and the eventual home video sales and it definitely made some serious cash. Not Marvel cash, and probably not enough to warrant a sequel, but enough that it was successful for all parties involved.

Honestly, I think my favorite part of the movie was when a snippet of Morro's theme played in the beginning.

Edited by gamejutzu

Story was bad. Dialogue was pretty bad. Couldn't understand what Jackie Chan was saying maybe 10% of the time. The colorful visuals was nice. They could have done a better job with selecting music for the battle scenes to make some memorable epic scenes for kids to recreate. Seemed like a bit too much use of lame filler scenes and dialogue.

If the Lego Ninjago Movie was my introduction to Ninjago, I would not have become a Ninjago fan.

Would have been nice if there were recognizable other Lego characters making cameo appearances.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:38 AM, Robert8 said:

Deleted scenes/plots

Those were pretty cool to see, especially the last one with the baby. Too bad that scene got cut, since the director stated in the preceding commentary that the clip was instrumental in convincing Jackie Chan to choreograph fight scenes for the movie.

Also, that alternate plot previewed in the first shown scene was interesting, but to me, it felt more like something belonging to the TV show, not for a comprehensive, introductory movie intended for audiences not familiar with the source material.

On 1/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

*vid snip*

I know a lot of people love CinemaSins, but I have really gotten to loathe them recently. Combining valid complaints with lazy running gags, intentional AND unintentional errors, and critical lack of research (often to the point of missing things explained IN THE MOVIES THEMSELVES) just makes a clustered mess of things. Sadly, people use their videos as legitimate reviews, and will often have their first and last impressions of a movie set by these soulless clickbait videos.

Long story short, I didn't even watch the video. Does anyone have any valid complaints with how they made this one?

1 hour ago, PepperoniBricks said:

I know a lot of people love CinemaSins, but I have really gotten to loathe them recently. Combining valid complaints with lazy running gags, intentional AND unintentional errors, and critical lack of research (often to the point of missing things explained IN THE MOVIES THEMSELVES) just makes a clustered mess of things. Sadly, people use their videos as legitimate reviews, and will often have their first and last impressions of a movie set by these soulless clickbait videos.

Long story short, I didn't even watch the video. Does anyone have any valid complaints with how they made this one?

My two bits on Cinema Sins:

When CinemaSins started out doing 2-3 minute videos it was fine, but now they are almost always ~15 minutes, it's just not funny to me anymore. Who wants to watch a crude video about somebody whining for that long about...anything?

HISHE does okay, Honest Trailers are usually worth a watch, and Bad Lip Reading videos are often great; it feels like they actually have some added-value to the film itself, whereas CinemaSins just seems like a team of hacks going after clicks rather than producing worthwhile content.

After hammering out this comment I figured I should actually give the video a chance. Nope. I still feel the same. I got about two minutes in to where the dude complains about "wasting syllables on the word 'secret'", oblivious to the syllables being used to complain about said syllable wasting, and turned it off.

This reminds me that after CinemaSins decided to stop editing the excess out of their videos, another channel came out called CinemaWins that was everything good about (movie x, y, or z). Haven't looked that up in years, though so I can't say if they've done anything good recently.

I just rewatched TLNM over the weekend with my kids and for the most part it was about as good as when we saw it in theaters--some great mixed in with some not so great. Not one we feel compelled to own, but maybe we'll rent it again later in the year or something.

Edited by rodiziorobs
Spoiler tag not working - the last paragraph should be outside the spoiler.

Yeah, i barely watch cinemasins anymore but i get a kick out of cinemawins, the guy is just so optimistic and he helped me legitimatly take another look at movies i used to claim disdain for 

Yeah, Cinemasins has gotten lazy, predictable and lame. Going after the low hanging fruit or fart joke instead of being actually clever. They became that which they parodied. Although anyone treating them as an actual movie review needs some serious help and possibly medication...

As for the movie? I finally watched it... Meh! It lacked the warm charm and cleverness that Ninjago and its characters have had on TV for so many years. It felt like watching that godawful Michael Bay Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies after having fallen in love with the clever classic and new Nik cartoons. You have that “WTF am I watching and did the producers ever actually watch the source material?” Moment. It had its fun moments and scenes. It was gorgeous to look at. But much of the charm of either the original show or the predecessor Lego movies felt absent or lacking. Ninjago works when you take the property seriously. This means no live Cats among other things. Breaking the fourth wall is bad for the property.

On 23/01/2018 at 4:19 AM, legosamsonite said:

Yeah, i barely watch cinemasins anymore but i get a kick out of cinemawins, the guy is just so optimistic and he helped me legitimatly take another look at movies i used to claim disdain for 

Aren't they done by the same people?

On 29/01/2018 at 4:57 PM, Faefrost said:

It had its fun moments and scenes. It was gorgeous to look at. But much of the charm of either the original show or the predecessor Lego movies felt absent or lacking. Ninjago works when you take the property seriously. This means no live Cats among other things. Breaking the fourth wall is bad for the property.

The move did lack the ninjagoiness and the lego moviness but I don't think meowthra was the problem.

17 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

The move did lack the ninjagoiness and the lego moviness but I don't think meowthra was the problem.

Its definetly a different guy, wheter or not they know each other, no clue

23 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

meowthra was a symptom. The problem was Ninjago is a well established property that takes itself seriously and fully commits to its world and its characters, at least within the context and framework of the show and world. The Lego Ninjago movie goes full Deadpool fourth wall breaking and mocking the world it exists in. It's rather jarring and off putting. Yeah it kind of worked fro Lego Batman as that was a parody of the longstanding globally known character and IP.  Ninjago needed to be played differently. These weren't rebooted or reimagined Ninjago characters. They were caricatures of the established characters and property. Parody only works when you know and are well familiar with what is being parodied. Otherwise it just looks like an Adam Sandler movie. It was just the wrong tone for the property and the movie suffered badly for it.