PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

38 minutes ago, Ashnflash said:

So I was just watching the Ninjago Movie and I came across this..

Okay? What are we looking at? They look like normal civilians to me. 

Oh I guess I should've explained. I was expecting you to click into my post. Anyways the girl in red is Sharon Shoehorn from TLM. She's the Where Are My Pants Guy's Wife

Simon Lucas shared something very interesting on Twitter:

, it's some very exclusive minifigs :D

Edited by Dardanel

8 hours ago, Dardanel said:

Just saw the movie this morning with my kids. Wondefull!! An excellent moment, really funny. Not to much noise, only good jokes, good music and a well written story :thumbup:

We are really enthousiast!! 

The best lego movie in my opinion. 

This wooden Wu will become emblematic.  I really cross fingers for a plastic one polybag one day. Even if it is a.... special idea. 

15 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Oh I guess I should've explained. I was expecting you to click into my post. Anyways the girl in red is Sharon Shoehorn from TLM. She's the Where Are My Pants Guy's Wife

The Blacktron Fan is also there in the same scene

Image result for lego blacktron fan

Kebap Bob also appears in the movie. I was expecting to see Larry the Barista there (since he has a cameo in the Batman Movie) but it seems he wasn't in this one

22 hours ago, Ashnflash said:

Oh! I thought you just posted a picture. I see now. 

Cool. I think they're just using the named citizens from The LEGO Movie as generic filler characters now. It's a little bit annoying to me, for some reason. 

31 minutes ago, Actor Builder said:

Cool. I think they're just using the named citizens from The LEGO Movie as generic filler characters now. It's a little bit annoying to me, for some reason. 

Well, they were generic filler characters in The LEGO Movie to begin with

They only got names for the sets 

Just now, Robert8 said:

Well, they were generic filler characters in The LEGO Movie to begin with

They only got names for the sets 

That's true. 

But naming anything often changes how people view it. 

I mean, you're right, but a lamp named Greg is a lot more lovable than a lamp without a name. The same goes for minifigures, you know?

Saw the movie on saturday by myself, and my thoughts on it are... extremely mixed, honestly. I'm not sure how to properly structure this, so I'm just gonna list below the good/bad things about it that I can think of right off the top of my head (some of which may have minor spoilers, so watch out for that innit), starting with...

THE GOOD STUFF

• The visuals are, as per usual with these films, utterly gorgeous. A lotta reviews for the film have used the "oh no it doesnt use legos all the time its lazy" thing as a frequent criticism, but for me I... don't get this? The realistic natural elements with minifig-made structures being integrated into 'em reminded me mostly of those wonderfully-photographed spreads you'd get in 90s lego catalogues with train layouts and castles and such, and boy do I have a love for those layouts. S' a good visual style.
  • I also really really like Ninjago City's general design, it's almost like Los Angeles in Blade Runner but brighter and more child-friendly and I really really like that. Good stuff.
  • The animation is also, as per usual, still utterly gorgeous. They definitely do "cheat" a lot more with popping off minifig arms and exaggerated movements than the other films, but every smear frame in the film is still made with 100% lego elements so far as animation goes it's pretty dang inventive. 
  • Apart from one or two duff notes (I'll get back to this in a sec), the voice acting is mostly pretty spot-on too. Garmadon, Lloyd and Zane in particular are dang great, and the rest of the ninjas are pretty well-voiced too... when they do eventually speak, that is (I'll also get back to this in a sec).
  • The stupid pointless love-triangle from the show that serves no purpose other than to start shipping wars on tumblr is completely absent here, thank christ.
  • The character designs are several notches above Ninjago's usual decent standard and some of them (particularly Zane and Jay) are probably my favourite iterations of the characters design-wise ever.
  • Zane is best ninja bar none.

Right, now we've covered that let's move onto the more questionable bits of the film, with...

THE BAD STUFF

• On imdb the film has a grand total of 13 (!) writers, and when it comes down to the plot... you can really, really tell this thing's had a silly amount of rewrites/changes through production and the final result feels more like remnants of several different story ideas blended together in the edit rather than having a clear idea of what they wanted to do at the very start. There's bits like the Good Morning Ninjago segment introducing the ninjas at the start where you can really tell that they had a ton o' finalised footage they'd removed from an earlier cut that they didn't know what to do with so they just haphazardly shoved it in there and it just suuuuuuucks. Talking of the first Good Morning Ninjago segment...
  • With storytelling in any medium, there's a general golden rule that should never, ever be broken with characters - show, don't tell. If you wanna get across to the audience that a character is shy or reckless or calm, then you should get that across through their speech and mannerisms so the audience can work out for themselves which character is which. What you absolutely shouldn't do in any piece of media whatsoever is yell directly at the audience which character is which and exactly what all their character traits are because it treats the audience like two-year-olds and is frankly an extremely lazy way of introducing characters. Naturally then, that's exactly how TLNM decides to introduce you into this world and, to put it bluntly, it's absolutely piss-poor and by far the worst part of the film for me. Tiny bits and bobs of exposition is one thing, but getting two news anchors to spend like 5 minutes yelling at you exactly who each character is and their relationship to Lloyd is just extremely lazy and awful in every single way and I just hate it so much and ugh. Showing all of the mechs and the inside of Garmadon's fortress in said news segment also completely removes any sense of surprise from their initial reveals later on in the film for the audience, which also completely sucks. The absolute worst part about it is that it's pretty clear from the unused footage in the ninja montages that they were gonna have a longer battle sequence at the start that would've introduced every character naturally through actions like every other good film, but instead they opted for this route because... why? Why did they do this? Why?!?
  • This definitely isn't a problem unique to TLNM (By the sounds of it the MLP Movie does it and I've got my fears about Avengers: Infinity War and Justice League doing it), but it's very much prevalent here - whilst some of the main characters get a ton of development/screen time, with a lot of them sorta just feel like they're tagging along for the ride and don't really contribute to the plot in any meaningful way as individuals. Kai and Cole in particular are just sorta there, and whilst Jay and Zane have some cool lines every now and again they don't really evolve as characters that much throughout the story. Shame really, since I was really hoping that the movie would make an attempt at not making Cole the "sorta-here-I-guess" ninja like he is in the show. Guess it simply wasn't to be.
  • Remember how I said most of the voice acting is pretty good? Well, there's an exception to that general rule, but there's a chance you may not have heard it - instead of having Good Morning America hosts for the GMN segments, here in the UK they replaced 'em with Ben Shephard and Kate Garraway from Good Morning Britain because localisation or something. Whilst Kate's performance is completely fine, Ben's is... to put it blunt, pretty darn awful. I dunno whether it's the way he's saying the lines or how it sounds like they're not written with his voice in mind (I wouldn't be surprised if he's got the same lines as the US GMN hosts, but I've got no way of checking that), but either way it sounds cringey as hell and I don't like it no siree.
  • Without going into too many details, the framing device the film uses serves no real purpose plot-wise and really doesn't need to be there honestly. They could've completely cut it and it wouldn't have made a shred o' difference.
  • Warner Bros really, really shouldn't have revealed Meowthra in the SDCC trailer honestly. If they'd kept it secret until the film's release as a right-outta-left-field reveal I really would've had more respect for the film than I do now.
  • The climax also feels kinda... rushed? Like, the moral lessons happen and then the animated stuff just sorta... ends. Doesn't feel as earned as TLM or TLBM.
  • There's a couple of scenes near the beginning that sound awfully devoid of background sound/music, almost to a degree that it makes the thing feel like WB sent out an unfinished cut to cinemas. S' weird.
  • The meme-y ultimate weapon montages? Awful. Please don't do that again.
  • Occasionally the ninjas describe things as "So ninja!" and it feels very "how do you do fellow kids" each and every time.
  • Zane does not dab in the film. 

All in all, if I had to rate the film I'd give it a firm 6/10 - it's not the absolute worst film I've seen this year (to be fair I had to sit through the bloody emoji movie so I wouldn't take that as much), but there's much better out there to watch and I'd encourage you to do so. 

tl;dr: Save the money you'd spend on film tickets for the stunning sets and just wait 'til the movie arrives on DVD - it's competent but really not worth the cash honestly.

On 18. 10. 2017 at 9:36 PM, AyliffeMakit said:

All in all, if I had to rate the film I'd give it a firm 6/10 - it's not the absolute worst film I've seen this year (to be fair I had to sit through the bloody emoji movie so I wouldn't take that as much), but there's much better out there to watch and I'd encourage you to do so.

I know about at least one movie of this year which was better that The LEGO Ninjago Movie.

Spoiler

The LEGO Batman Movie

Ok, it's been a month and The LEGO Ninjago has grossed $99.1 million (with a $70 million budget)

At least now we can say this wasn't a box office bomb, but this is still far from good

15 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Ok, it's been a month and The LEGO Ninjago has grossed $99.1 million (with a $70 million budget)

At least now we can say this wasn't a box office bomb, but this is still far from good

Has it launched in every region yet? I know that it only launched in the UK recently and actually topped the box office there (at least briefly). The foreign box office might just be what saves this one.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:36 PM, AyliffeMakit said:

Saw the movie on saturday by myself, and my thoughts on it are... extremely mixed, honestly. I'm not sure how to properly structure this, so I'm just gonna list below the good/bad things about it that I can think of right off the top of my head (some of which may have minor spoilers, so watch out for that innit), starting with........

After hearing all of this I'm not even going to the cinema to give them my money now.......

22 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Has it launched in every region yet? I know that it only launched in the UK recently and actually topped the box office there (at least briefly). The foreign box office might just be what saves this one.

Very nearly, yes - it launches in Greece next Thursday, but other than that it's basically done. Half term break's next week in the UK though, so it'll probably pick up a tad there with families taking the kiddies to it (also helps that other than the MLP movie, it's basically got zero competition within the kid's target audience).

6 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

After hearing all of this I'm not even going to the cinema to give them my money now.......

Nah, I'd still go to the cinema...

...and buy a ticket to BladeRunner 2049, an actually really good movie that's worth watching innit :V

Just now, AyliffeMakit said:

Nah, I'd still go to the cinema...

...and buy a ticket to BladeRunner 2049, an actually really good movie that's worth watching innit :V

:roflmao:

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Interesting.......

37 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Good point :thumbup:.

51 minutes ago, AyliffeMakit said:

Very nearly, yes - it launches in Greece next Thursday, but other than that it's basically done. Half term break's next week in the UK though, so it'll probably pick up a tad there with families taking the kiddies to it (also helps that other than the MLP movie, it's basically got zero competition within the kid's target audience).

It won't launch at all in China? That seems like an odd decision...

1 hour ago, Dardanel said:

It won't launch at all in China? That seems like an odd decision...

Pretty sure that there are only a select amount of movies made in the US make it to China.

EDIT: It's a limit of 34 movies for Hollywood.

Come to think of it, TLNM has quite the group of international workers, so it might be clear of this issue.

Edited by Penkid11

What's there to gain if the foreign audience saves it though? They most likely won't make a sequel though. Either way it's bad if the foreign box office is nearly half of it's total.. at it's current amount.

46 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

What's there to gain if the foreign audience saves it though? They most likely won't make a sequel though. Either way it's bad if the foreign box office is nearly half of it's total.. at it's current amount.

Literally the latter half of the Transformers Movie franchise...

Lest we forget they have 14 more movies on the way (a good portion of which are spin-offs).

Though Paramount does like to jump the gun in hopes of getting a leg over Disney. The LEGO movies are kind of in their own realm of sorts.

Edited by Penkid11

Saw the movie today and I will say I was entertained for the most part but I did feel it falls flat because it doesn't know what it wanted to do and it just doesn't live up to the huge expectations that The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie had set up for this one. There were things I liked about it, things I didn't like about it, overall how was it for me? Eh, it's okay for what it was and I did like some of the stuff they had for it but I honestly think I'll take the TV series any day than the movie and it really could've done so much for me. And saying this as a Ninjago fan that's saying something.

Saw it last week with my 7 year old son, we both absolutely loved it. I sometimes feel like I didn't watch the same movie as everyone else; everyone says this is a step-down for the series, yet we didn't care for Lego Batman much at all, aside from a few great lines ("kids can be cruel"), I thought it was often utterly mawkish, occasionally boring (the traffic lights talking to him in that weird dimension seemed to go on forever) and above-all, had barely any Lego-ness to it. I felt it played more to the world of Batman than Lego, and neither of us are Batman fans, we went into that one wanting a Lego movie first and foremost and instead felt we just got a tongue-in-cheek morality movie about Batman who just happens to be made of plastic. He was a fun supporting character in TLM, but I felt the character far too dull to headline a whole Lego movie himself.

My boy said this was his favourite in the movie series and was WAY better than the show (which he's not a big fan of, so it wasn't playing to his fanhood), and whilst I still think the original Lego Movie is the best, this was a solid second-place for me. Great fun, gorgeous visuals, loved the real-life sections and the cat that reminded you thoroughly that they're toys that children adapt to the surroundings they're playing in (for anyone complaining about real world elements not being made of Lego - what, you never played with them in the garden as a kid? Hell two years ago the gardener at my parents place dug up one of my old Crusaders knights who must have been buried there since around 1988, looking not too dissimilar to the shabby Lloyd figure at the beginning of this movie!) and as a single dad myself, I found Lloyd's story particularly poignant (not that I'm absent, 4-armed or evil; I see my boy every day, I'm quite normal and we're very close, just the bonding side of it haha).

If Lego Movie's a 9, this gets an 8 from me and Batman can have a 5. Here's hoping Ninjago's lower performance doesn't reduce the likelihood of more Lego movies in the future, this was an excellent family film and look forward to what may come next. I'd personally love one starring Chase McCain!

My only major complaint is the fact that in-movie Master Wu has printed arms that I eyed up as perfect for a Lego Star Wars minifigure I wish to update but after checking the collectable minifigures online once we got home, noticed that no such printing exists on the real figure of him. Ok, that's a very small complaint and it's the TLG's fault not the movie's, but it's annoying haha.

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

6 hours ago, Daddy_Stardust said:

My only major complaint is the fact that in-movie Master Wu has printed arms that I eyed up as perfect for a Lego Star Wars minifigure I wish to update but after checking the collectable minifigures online once we got home, noticed that no such printing exists on the real figure of him. Ok, that's a very small complaint and it's the TLG's fault not the movie's, but it's annoying haha.

This is an aside, but the CMF Master Wu actually does have the printed arms, just not every other variant in the sets :)

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

This is an aside, but the CMF Master Wu actually does have the printed arms, just not every other variant in the sets :)

*huh* Wow, you're right. I was going from this image that seems to suggest that they're just plain!

https://brickset.com/sets/71019-4/Master-Wu

Thanks for the insight!! Time to Bricklink... :grin:

Edited by Daddy_Stardust

I also find that WB and LEGO need to give a look at the LEGO cinematic universe overall, because all the movies have s very similar theme

The LEGO Movie - Daddy issues (Finn - The Man Upstairs)

The Batman Movie - Daddy issues (Alfred - Batman - Robin)

The Ninjago Movie - Daddy issues (Garmadon - Lloyd)