PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

That makes sense—news personalities tend to be far more locally recognizable than your average celebrity cameo.

I'm curious whether that might have played a role in the delayed UK release. Obviously it's not the only possible reason, but it could have been a factor.

On 30/09/2017 at 2:09 AM, GarmaFan said:

Oh, wow, it didn't even cross my mind how the Good Morning America thing would go over in foreign audiences.

Went well over my head until I read somewhere that they were parodying an American morning show. Shame they seem to only be doing it for US and UK audiences, plenty of Australian morning show hosts they could've asked... 

Hi, as someone who knows nothing about Ninjago, and hasn't seen the movie yet, I noticed that there is a Power Rangers color feel going on with the sets, with perhaps each ninja getting a personalized big vehicle as a set?

Red - Fire Mech

White - Ice Tank

Blue - Lightning Ship

Green - Dragon

If someone could let me know, who and what's missing?  Did vehicles of theirs appear in the movie?  Will there be a wave 2, and will they be in it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread!  Thanks!

Just now, Doom2099 said:

Hi, as someone who knows nothing about Ninjago, and hasn't seen the movie yet, I noticed that there is a Power Rangers color feel going on with the sets, with perhaps each ninja getting a personalized big vehicle as a set?

Red - Fire Mech

White - Ice Tank

Blue - Lightning Ship

Green - Dragon

If someone could let me know, who and what's missing?  Did vehicles of theirs appear in the movie?  Will there be a wave 2, and will they be in it?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread!  Thanks!

There will be a wave 2

You've missed:

Black: Earth Mech (Quake Mech, Wave 2 set)

and

Gunmental/Dark Grey: Water Mech

Each mech was in the movie.

Saw the movie last night, and I really loved it. I guess I’m just easy to please, but I think it’s at least equal to Batman, if not better.

Initial thoughts:

Some of the jokes didn’t land, but many did and I found myself laughing the majority of the time. The meme stuff for the Ultimate and Ultimate Ultimate Weapons had my friend and I in tears. The newscast was hilarious rather than annoying. One of my favorite parts was Wu floating away while narrating at the end. So funny! Favorite characters were Garmadon and Zane, though Jay, Wu and Lloyd were great as well. 

Also, the human parts were tolerable and not really as tacked on as I had thought they would be, though I  do wonder how they’ll handle its connection (or lack thereof) to Finn’s LEGO universe.

I think the other ninja were developed well enough without things moving at an even slower pace, and the father/son stuff was very touching.

Finally, the ending really wasn’t as rushed and anticlimactic as others were describing it. It was as well-done as The LEGO Movie’s, in my opinion.

Overall, 8/10. I have my little nitpicks, but they weren’t enough to ruin anything for me. Highly recommended - review on Brickset homepage soon! :classic:

Edited by TheBrickPal

I must be honest, i had a rudimentary understanding of ninjago before the movie, i watched the first season of cartoons but got bored of it, and never owned a set till this wave

But i loved this movie, ffrom a amateur filmmaker, i thought sme of the animation was the best yet, and 

[/spoiler]

The scene were garmadon lements what he could have had was strangely poignant to me. He really wished he could change but he knew that it was very unlikely

And watching misako take baby lloyd away.... ?

Overall I'd still say this is the lowest of the three but if i ranked them it would be

TLM - 10/10

TLBM -9/10

TLNM -7/10

Which isn't that bad really

Edited by legosamsonite

Looking at BoxOfficeMojo, the LEGO Ninjago Movie is significantly lower than the other movies were at this point in theaters. The others were in the hundred millions, but the LEGO Ninjago Movie is in the 30 millions.

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

Looking at BoxOfficeMojo, the LEGO Ninjago Movie is significantly lower than the other movies were at this point in theaters. The others were in the hundred millions, but the LEGO Ninjago Movie is in the 30 millions.

Then again this isn't summer, this is the point where movies don't make a lot (at least, that's what I'm assuming.)

2 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

Then again this isn't summer, this is the point where movies don't make a lot (at least, that's what I'm assuming.)

But the previous ones came out in February.

7 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

The hundred millions are final box office numbers. NINJAGO has been out for two weeks.

And another thing!...

On 9/24/2017 at 11:30 PM, Penkid11 said:

Let me continue this discussion by immediately informing everyone that the box office has hit the lowest it has been in 16-years. Simply, fewer people are going out to see movies. It's not this one movie that's doing less than anticipated.

Whenever someone will post in the future that this movie is flopping/being compared to the previous LEGO films, I will re-quote this until we all understand what's going on here.

4 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

The hundred millions are final box office numbers. NINJAGO has been out for two weeks.

And another thing!...

Whenever someone will post in the future that this movie is flopping/being compared to the previous LEGO films, I will re-quote this until we all understand what's going on here.

No, the 300 millions and 170 millions are final box-office numbers. The others were in the hundred millions at this point in their time in theaters

Either way, it's underperforming compared to what was expected of it, and making people question the value of the LEGO Movie franchise.

Edited by GarmaFan

Finally saw the Movie. I have to say I expected more Ninjago in it. It's not that I didn't like it but, for me, it didn't have the heart and soul of the franchise.

11 hours ago, Dardanel said:

it didn't have the heart and soul of the franchise.

Did you see how many writers contributed to the script? Whenever I see that many (5+) it's an indication that so many people tried to put together the movie from so many angles and perspective that when the final output is produced, the result is a hotpodge direction and less cohesive story. 

I thought that it has more heart and soul compared to TLM and TLBM. I think what made it appear having less "heart and soul" is the way the 3rd act was resolved. It is so weak that the message is not delivered clearly (that's how I felt)...maybe if they had given more time on the script and screenplay, the resolution could have been stronger and the message is reinforced. But just like they say, hindsight is 20/20. 

21 hours ago, makoy said:

Did you see how many writers contributed to the script? Whenever I see that many (5+) it's an indication that so many people tried to put together the movie from so many angles and perspective that when the final output is produced, the result is a hotpodge direction and less cohesive story. 

I thought that it has more heart and soul compared to TLM and TLBM. I think what made it appear having less "heart and soul" is the way the 3rd act was resolved. It is so weak that the message is not delivered clearly (that's how I felt)...maybe if they had given more time on the script and screenplay, the resolution could have been stronger and the message is reinforced. But just like they say, hindsight is 20/20. 

I'd have to agree with you on this one. It really felt like a hotpot of ideas that were mixed in in an unnatural way. The final act was indeed, the messiest one.

To me, TLNM, was a typical Holywood superhero/villain origin story and it completely missed the point of it being a LEGO movie, as well as it being a Ninjago movie. Basically, this move didn't have to be made out of bricks, nor include any ninja and it would still be the same. There are no builders, nor is there any kind of reshaping of the world to better fit the situation. A huge missed opportunity. There is zero background on the world (where did the mechs come from?), what's up with the locations outside of Ninjago City? And most importantly, where is everything that made Ninjago what it is? Where are the trivial things, like Spinjitzu, elemental powers, dragons etc etc? Where is the deeper stuff? Like team dynamics, the struggle with the personal vision of oneself and mission (of all the characters), relationships between all the ninja and similar?

On 04/10/2017 at 2:20 AM, Penkid11 said:

I think I might have been too dismissive before. Yes, "less people are going to the theaters", but do you think it's the only factor that caused the numbers to be as low as they are? It's being compared to the other LEGO movies because.. it's a LEGO Movie! It's a part of a franchise. 

Either way, it doesn't really matter what caused it, poor advertising, unfavorable word of mouth, or whatever. Unlike, the others, it's based off a lesser known property, and it failed to attract enough people in spite of everything against it. It's making its budget back at a snail's pace, it's lowered confidence in the LEGO Movie brand, and another LEGO Ninjago theatrical movie is looking financially inadvisable. 

Edited by GarmaFan

On 5/10/2017 at 2:14 PM, GarmaFan said:

Maybe the movie should have been put off to Feb. 2018. More time to work on it, and it'd match the others.

I think they overestimated the appeal of Ninjago

It should have been wiser to release The LEGO Movie Sequel first, and introduce (to the LEGO cinematic universe) the Ninjago gang there. Not just a random cameo, like Lloyd had in The LEGO Movie, but a somewhat important role, like Benny's.

And then release The LEGO Ninjago Movie later, as a spin-off from the Sequel

So, it would have been

>The LEGO Movie

>>Spin-off: The LEGO Batman Movie

>The LEGO Movie Sequel

>>Spin-off: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Looking at boxofficemojo, WB and TLG should thank the foreign gross ticket sales because now TLNM is above USD 81M .. at least it is slighlty profitable now.

2 hours ago, makoy said:

Looking at boxofficemojo, WB and TLG should thank the foreign gross ticket sales because now TLNM is above USD 81M .. at least it is slighlty profitable now.

It'll get better, the movie is not yet out in all markets. There's still a good chunk of Europe (France, Italy, UK etc), and I'm not even sure the movie is out in China. If not it could have a significant impact on box office numbers. Jackie Chan is huge in China.

8 hours ago, makoy said:

Great, direct to DVD sequel confirmed