PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

Reviews are about what I expected. Sounds like this will be fun and hopefully the kids will love it. I wonder if it manages to beat Kingsman this weekend. 

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

Perhaps both? Just because it's imagined doesn't mean it can't also real. How can you be sure someone's not just imagining you?

I think, therefore I am. Real question is, how can you be sure you're not imagining me? 

5 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

I'm confused how the Lego Movie universe works.. is it an actual universe that's connected to the real world, or just imagination?

The fact that the universe that TLM and TLBM collectively exists in, whether imagination or not, is separate completely from TLNM's universe, it makes it much much harder.

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

The fact that the universe that TLM and TLBM collectively exists in, whether imagination or not, is separate completely from TLNM's universe, it makes it much much harder.

Pretty sure there's references to both in the movie. Wasn't there a thing where Nya said her heroes were Wildstyle, Batgirl, and Unikitty? 

2 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

Well, all of The Lego Movie (and presumably, by extension, TLBM) essentially took place in one family's basement. But they're not the only ones in the world with a Lego collection... there could presumably be thousands of discrete universes that barely interact with one another (save for occasionally, at conventions :wink:).

On 9/18/2017 at 11:19 PM, GarmaFan said:

The one about the making of The Room?

You bet! The Disaster Artist, which comes out a week before Star Wars Episode VIII where I live.

This movie, on the other hand, is sitting at a comfortably middling 72% on Rotten Tomatoes- however, this is with only about 18 reviews at the time of this writing, so that is likely subject to change.

I forgot to say that I did a review - I was lucky enough to see an early screening. No spoilers here. :classic:

Overall, I'd say I liked it the same as the LEGO Batman Movie, but quality-wise, it's a bit under LEGO Batman (which is wayyyyy under The LEGO Movie).

Either way, if anyone has any questions about the movie, feel free to ask me here!

1 hour ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

You bet! The Disaster Artist, which comes out a week before Star Wars Episode VIII where I live.

This movie, on the other hand, is sitting at a comfortably middling 72% on Rotten Tomatoes- however, this is with only about 18 reviews at the time of this writing, so that is likely subject to change.

You're right.. because it seems to keep getting lower. Jeez, it was 80-something earlier..

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Well, all of The Lego Movie (and presumably, by extension, TLBM) essentially took place in one family's basement. But they're not the only ones in the world with a Lego collection... there could presumably be thousands of discrete universes that barely interact with one another (save for occasionally, at conventions :wink:).

Imagine that, a Lego cinematic movie centered around the real life setting of a AFOL convention. *oh2*

As someone else here had once described such a proposal, it essentially would be the Avengers: Infinity War of Lego Cinematic Universe movies.

I just got back from an advanced screening, and I enjoyed the movie more than The Lego Batman movie (which I actually feel asleep during my trip to the theater). It's completely fine going in not having seen any of the TV series, as the movie is completely separate.

I think my biggest complain is in relation to the mini-fig line, as there are a couple of cool characters from the movie I would have liked seeing in the mini-fig release, and a couple of figures in the line that I didn't notice in the movie.

My son really liked it as well.

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Imagine that, a Lego cinematic movie centered around the real life setting of a AFOL convention. *oh2*

As someone else here had once described such a proposal, it essentially would be the Avengers: Infinity War of Lego Cinematic Universe movies.

LEGO: Civil War

Ninjago vs Nexo Knights

7 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Pretty sure there's references to both in the movie. Wasn't there a thing where Nya said her heroes were Wildstyle, Batgirl, and Unikitty? 

Nope. Not a single one. You don't even see the GPL Tech lady's Batman shirt.

Those quotes are exclusive to the Nya spotlight, which is strange, as she's the only one who got one.

7 hours ago, Lyichir said:

This one isn't necessarily... displayed

Just now, Falconfan1414 said:

It now has a 55% on rotten tomatoes. Making it rotten 

:oh: That was surprising...... it is not even fully released and it is already bad.....

30 minutes ago, Hart New Bob said:

:oh: That was surprising...... it is not even fully released and it is already bad.....

From my experience, general people tend to have differing opinions from the general consensus reached by the critics on Rotten Tomatoes, so take that as you will.

3 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

So... what does this mean for the LEGO Movie franchise?

I doubt the reception of this movie will have a huge impact on the LEGO movies overall. I think the LEGO Movie 2 is where they really need to get it right for the continued success of these movies.

It could possibly mean there will be a greater focus on licenses and making parodies of known franchises similar to Batman going forward, perhaps? :shrug_confused:

I just hope the reaction to the movie doesn't hurt any future plans for the Ninjago franchise, though.

Edited by Kopaka25

20 minutes ago, Kopaka25 said:

I doubt the reception of this movie will have a huge impact on the LEGO movies overall. I think the LEGO Movie 2 is where they really need to get it right for the continued success of these movies.

It could possibly mean there will be a greater focus on licenses and making parodies of known franchises similar to Batman going forward, perhaps? :shrug_confused:

I just hope the reaction to the movie doesn't hurt any future plans for the Ninjago franchise, though.

Agreed about TLM2. That's really the make-or-break movie for the continuation of the franchise. In the meantime, though, I would not be surprised to see WB hitting the brakes on the aggressive expansion of the franchise until they've seen the results of that. I don't expect to see them greenlighting a bunch of new movies in the series until then, unlike their rapid response to TLM's breakout success.

A shift to more movies based on licensed themes would be a bit disappointing to me, though, considering original themes tend to be some of my favorites. Then again, set-wise, The Lego Batman Movie basically took a licensed theme and infused it with the kind of unbridled creativity I typically see in my favorite original themes, so a shift toward that wouldn't be all bad.

49 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

In all honesty, we won't really know until the general public sees it.

48 minutes ago, Kopaka25 said:

I can't wait for The LEGO Doctor Who Movie!

9 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I can't wait for The LEGO Doctor Who Movie!

Out of any license, I would love to see a LEGO Justice League Movie, which isn't looking too unlikely seeing as WB already have an all-star cast for a bunch of JL members in the LEGO Movieverse.

I rarely buy sets from licensed themes however, so I would love to see a movie based on an original theme do well (which this one still might, fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

Realistically it all depends more on the box-office takings rather than the critic reviews - if the critics love a film to pieces but it doesn't make back it's budget the franchise is dead, but if a film gets panned by reviewers whilst making a ton o' cash, sequels aplenty innit.

tl;dr: wait 'til the box office figures come in.

33 minutes ago, legosamsonite said:

Its at 65% now so a little better...

52% on Rotten Tomatoes, 54% on Metacritic.

And RT is usually the more generous one..

This is incredibly disappointing, I was really hoping that being in the LEGO Movie franchise would give Ninjago something critically acclaimed to its name.. or at least not THIS bad, I thought it'd 60s-70s at worse. I think I liked "that one lesser known lego ninja cartoon" better than "that cash-grab lego ninja movie that was the worst of the LEGO movies, and the show it was based off of".

18 minutes ago, AyliffeMakit said:

Realistically it all depends more on the box-office takings rather than the critic reviews - if the critics love a film to pieces but it doesn't make back it's budget the franchise is dead, but if a film gets panned by reviewers whilst making a ton o' cash, sequels aplenty innit.

tl;dr: wait 'til the box office figures come in.

Just look at the transformers series.....