PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

The first reactions from movie critics are starting to show up on twitter

The consensus seems to be mixed to positive. It's fun, it's not as good as the other LEGO movies. More reactions should probably show up soon. I'm still excited myself (I wasn't a huge fan of TLBM like everyone else seems to be, and I really enjoy the Ninjago cartoon series). It should still be a blast!

Edited by Kopaka25
Fixed spoiler tag

Spoiler

So, going by Aanchir's theory that the laser pointer and the Ultimate Ultimate weapon are entirely separate, and that the appearance of the cat is non-spoilery enough to appear on one of the posters for the movie, I think the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon also connects to the cat in some way or another. It appears that the wielder of the laser pointer can control the cat with it, and that the laser pointer is the Ultimate Weapon, which notably is not actually in the Temple set. 

I believe that the small gold pieces in that box in the temple actually are the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon, and that they are

Spoiler

cat food, which is able to exert even greater control over the cat's behavior than the laser pointer is.

Seeing the slightly mixed reactions doesn't faze me at all. This is the 4th feature film by these particular animation studios, the second one being Storks... which got very mixed reception, but I personally enjoyed the hell out of. I am willing to bet this movie will be the same way.

2 hours ago, Kopaka25 said:

The first reactions from movie critics are starting to show up on twitter

Reveal hidden contents

The consensus seems to be mixed to positive. It's fun, it's not as good as the other LEGO movies. More reactions should probably show up soon. I'm still excited myself (I wasn't a huge fan of TLBM like everyone else seems to be, and I really enjoy the Ninjago cartoon series). It should still be a blast!

Ugh, I expected this. Ninjago's not really that great a show anyway. I'll enjoy it, but it's not looking good if the Lego Movie franchise is getting succeedingly worse scores every sequel.

Edited by GarmaFan

I saw it...

Taper your expectations.

I'll have more later (spoiler free, of course).

Feel free to ask me questions in the mean time. I'll answer as much as I can later.

Edited by Penkid11

2 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

I saw it...

Taper your expectations.

I'll have more later (spoiler free, of course).

Feel free to ask me questions in the mean time. I'll answer as much as I can later.

Those are some worrying elipses..

It's not that the movie was bad. It was good. Just not TLM or TLBM good.

My thoughts:

Within this spoiler tag is SPOILER FREE information, though some may wish to stay clear of this info regardless. In respect of this, the information below is tagged.

Spoiler

The wild atmosphere mind-bogglingly apparent in both the prior films is evidently gone in this film.

The characters in this film are so wildly colorful and lovely, and you just want to get something interesting about them, but most of them get set aside for the sake of characters that are actually important to the story. They're there to make fans happy. One of these main characters is degraded to a lowly reference reel, and said direction this beloved character was directed will be hated by plenty of people that care about this particular character in any way.

The natural elements in the film are... distracting. Or, I should say, they distracted the writers, as there was no real identity to the world outside of NINJAGO City, which also suffered due to a certain natural element appearing quite out of place for the sake of plot, and potentially some sort of audience appeal with it's... visage.

Now that I've gotten that off of my chest. There is some excellent humor in this movie.

The movie's message is also excellent, and was executed with heartfelt animation, music, and voice work.

The third act is painfully anti-climactic, and you will find yourself wondering "when is the ending going to start?" and you will be surprised to find that it's over before that opportunity even arises.

There is room for a sequel, though I don't know where LEGO will go from here with the TLNM name.

7/10. See it, but keep those expectations tempered.

LEGO should probably steer away from doing two movies a year for the foreseeable future.

P.S. If you intend to spotlight a specific portion of my opinion, please be sure that the spoiler tags are still set out of respect for those who'd like to remain unswayed. Simply click the eyeball icon in the comment editor to set a spoiler tag. :wink:

8 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

It was good. Just not TLM or TLBM good.

This is a very subjective 'score' if you will. I think the first LEGO Movie will be hard to top... but I don't find TLBM that good so I will put more than a grain of salt on your comment.

17 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:
Spoiler

One of these main characters is degraded to a lowly reference reel, and said direction this beloved character was directed will be hated by plenty of people that care about this particular character in any way.

Let me guess...

Spoiler

Zane?

5 hours ago, makoy said:

This is a very subjective 'score' if you will. I think the first LEGO Movie will be hard to top... but I don't find TLBM that good so I will put more than a grain of salt on your comment.

Exactly with how good TLM was it's going to be very hard to top it, and there's also the branding issue because of Ninjago not being a well known brand but either way I'll love it any way because it's Ninjago 

On 14/09/2017 at 2:31 AM, Actor Builder said:

The only reason I'm on this thread is to practice my self control for not clicking on spoiler tags.

On 14/09/2017 at 6:25 AM, Actor Builder said:

Hey man, don't try and push your idea of a "normal" family on the rest of the world.  Robo Kids are just fine.

I think you have failed in your quest sorry.

Is the movie out in the USA now cause if so Imma gunna have to steer clear from some places for a bit.

Edited by AgentKallus of Hydra

32 minutes ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

Is he movie out in the USA now cause if so Imma gunna have to steer clear from some places for a bit.

Just some early screenings of the movie

12 hours ago, AgentKallus of Hydra said:

I only clicked on Robert8's because I'm a fan of his and I wanted to see what he had to say in it's entirety. I'm still going strong here.Thanks for the concern though.

The review embargo is Wednesday morning so there will be plenty of opinions then.

Having seen it, In a nutshell....

Spoiler

This is Lloyd and Garmadon's movie. All the other ninja are relegated to a line here or there. They're not developed in any meaningful way. They're just... there.

That said, the movie is a ton of fun and the over-the-top humor will keep moviegoers smiling throughout. 

As the Fold alluded to, Weekend Whip gets a nice cannot-miss-it cameo as well.

13 minutes ago, bricksnator said:

The review embargo is Wednesday morning so there will be plenty of opinions then.

Reveal hidden contents

This is Lloyd and Garmadon's movie. All the other ninja are relegated to a line here or there. They're not developed in any meaningful way. They're just... there.

That said, the movie is a ton of fun and the over-the-top humor will keep moviegoers smiling throughout. 

Eh, I'm okay with that.

2 hours ago, bricksnator said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sigh. Well, there's always hope for season 8.

5 hours ago, Nerd-with-a-Pencil said:

Sigh. Well, there's always hope for season 8.

Apples and oranges comparison. The movie plays up comedy and a broken father/son relationship that any kid can instantly relate to. The show has more time to focus on deeper lore and heart.

It's still a fun movie and worth seeing at the theater. Support the franchise! :)

I'm okay with what's in the spoilers too, that's entirely what I was expecting from the trailer and those characters' appearances in the sets to be perfectly honest.

This still isn't the movie I'm looking forward to the most this year featuring Dave Franco and a preexisting film or television series though...

5 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

This still isn't the movie I'm looking forward to the most this year featuring Dave Franco and a preexisting film or television series though...

That reminds me, gotta start working on my Room moc... :wink:

5 hours ago, PicnicBasketSam said:

I'm okay with what's in the spoilers too, that's entirely what I was expecting from the trailer and those characters' appearances in the sets to be perfectly honest.

The one about the making of The Room?

I'm confused how the Lego Movie universe works.. is it an actual universe that's connected to the real world, or just imagination?

1 hour ago, GarmaFan said:

I'm confused how the Lego Movie universe works.. is it an actual universe that's connected to the real world, or just imagination?

Perhaps both? Just because it's imagined doesn't mean it can't also real. How can you be sure someone's not just imagining you?