PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

2 hours ago, Mandate said:

It's not that it's going to be a bad movie or anything, for me personally the film just doesn't appeal to me. In a lot of ways it's like Michael Bay's Transformers movies or the BIONICLE reboot - you've got the characters, the macguffins - yet you've still missed what it was about. 

That's a really big assumption to make right now, considering how little information and footage we have.

I'm fine with the slapstick and a different take on Ninjago, because I didn't expect anything else from a movie with this sort of "fake stop motion" animation style. I think a movie with TLM style animation but Ninjago TV series plot and lore, would be terrible. They just don't fit each other. Otoh, a full movie with CGI like the TV series wouldn't work either, because personally I think the action and plot from the show better fit the TV series format, I imagine a film would be rather boring. 

The TLM style animation seems to fit with chaotic kaiju inspired battles and Ninjago's theme overall. Even better than the show actually, which sometimes takes itself too seriously and serves us too many dramatic and emotional scenes, when shortly after you realize you're watching a cartoon about lego people, or precisely, rainbow colored ninja lego people, fighting goofy cliche villains in giant vehicles. 

Now, I do not like that the main focus seems to be the Ninjago city, and that main villains are too alien-like (something that fits better in a 90's Space subtheme). Also, the city surprisingly doesn't look oriental enough to me, and it's way too similar to Bricksburg from TLM, and that feels so wrong. I want more battles in Japanese landscapes and temples, and vehicles that look like samurais came from the past and built them, not like they came from Space Police.

And yes, the Taylor Swift song in the end pretty much ruined the teaser. :sick:

Oh how much a distaste I have for the hardcore drones this fanbase has created (99% aren't on this website, thank goodness).

Lego does something exciting, like, oh I don't know, pour millions into the brand name for a movie, and the Ninjago Weeaboos act like their world is going to end.

Trailer is tomorrow. Don't compare the two until you see the movie.

Edited by Penkid11

Hollywood hotshots have a long history of taking an already successful franchise and then putting their creative spins on things and making it unappealing. It could very well backfire. They are calling it Ninjago to milk the Ninjago name and their egos motivated them to turn things upside down. The kid fans are likely going to be confused.

I think everyone needs to calm down. This isn't replacing anything, and it's a new interpretation of the Ninjago story that happened over 6 years ago. Yes LEGO wants money and they know what they're doing so chill. 

To me it looks awesome! And can't wait to see more! 

35 minutes ago, Penkid11 said:

Oh how much a distaste I have for the hardcore drones this fanbase has created (99% aren't on this website, thank goodness).

That's because those 99% of them are kids/teens. And I agree, on literally every twitter/facebook post about the movie I see at least 20 people totally trashing the movie. It was like that even when the only thing we knew about it were voice actors. If the negativity is so strong now, I can't even imagine the hate that will be spread across the internet once the movie comes out.

32 minutes ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

They are calling it Ninjago to milk the Ninjago name and their egos motivated them to turn things upside down. 

Come on. It's not that much different. You're acting like they changed the whole premise and the point of the franchise. What makes Ninjago what it is - ninja heroes, spinjitzu, elemental powers, dragons, mechs and vehicles, the Ninjago city, unique world - is still there. Every big franchise, especially franchises such as Ninjago, eventually gets something slightly different. First I thought it could affect classic sets based on the TV show, but now we know for sure that won't happen, so this movie can only do good for the franchise. 

I don't understand all the hate for this movie. Yes, it's different, but what were they expecting? If they were going to stick to the exact same character designs, voice actors, art style, etc. then there would be no point in making the movie.  The TV series is not going anywhere and will keep going strong, even after the movie is released.  Just like how Batman has had various iterations throughout history, Ninjago is getting a new iteration.  It's part of the evolution of the property.

Personally, I'm very excited for this.  It's great to see a brand new take on the characters but in the LEGO Movie Universe, a nice change from what we have come to know in the series.  I don't really have anything to say for the designs as I have yet to see them in action to get a feel for their new look, but I appreciate the variety of new hair pieces!  Very excited for the full trailer and definitely will be seeing it as soon it comes out!

Initially some of the hardcore Ninjago fans will be disappointed by the movie because it's an alternative universe. I get it, I would be upset too if a favorite cartoon of mine was remade with different voices and styles from the original, (it's happened with some of my favorite shows already) but that anger will pass, and you'll enjoy it. :grin:

15 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Then why call it Ninjago? :wacko:

That's like saying "Oh, let's make a Batman movie, but there's no similarity with the comics, they just happen to have the same name." At least TLBM Batman looks like Batman. The Ninjago ones... eh.

You're ignoring the tremendous similarities between the Ninjago TV show and movie. From what we've heard, Kai is still hotheaded, Jay is still insecure, Lloyd and his parents still have a similarly complicated relationship, Wu is still the wise master he's always been, etc. Most of their physical appearances are DIRECTLY based on their appearances in previous sets and TV episodes, just stylized with some creative flourishes. It's like you're complaining that Batman Begins shouldn't have been called a Batman movie because it wasn't as silly as the 1960s Batman TV show, Batman was super broody and violent, and his suit was black instead of grey. Or that The Wizard of Oz shouldn't have been called The Wizard of Oz because the Munchkin Country wasn't entirely blue, the Winkie Country wasn't entirely yellow, Glinda the Good Witch took the place of the Good Witch of the North, Dorothy wasn't a little girl, etc.

I mean, seriously, have you never seen an adaptation or reboot in your entire life? Things change. In this case, none of the changes we've seen were fundamental to the story in the first place. They're either things the original story largely ignored (the ninja's ages and whether or not they should be in school) or things that were, from the start, largely cosmetic (like the ninja's faces and hairstyles).

5 hours ago, Arctic_Ace said:

It's bad enough that they changed the voice actors, but using someone as famous as Jackie Chan just ruins any chance of thinking of Wu as Wu.  Now Jackie Chan is the leader of the teenage mutant ninja non-turtles. Couldn't they get Lady Gaga or Beyoncé to play Nya too while they are at it?

By that logic, ANY actor who becomes famous (and yes, that's what Jackie Chan is: an actor) should give up acting forever, because nobody will ever be able to think of them as anyone other than themselves. Like, it's not as if The LEGO Movie didn't have any famous actors. Vitruvius was Morgan Freeman. President Business was Will Ferrell. Etc. But who they are in real life doesn't matter, because they're actors, and their whole star-studded careers are based around their ability to play people they aren't.

2 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Please don't tell me Zane is going to be smiling like an idiot for the whole movie..

There's no reason to think he will be. We've literally only seen one scene of him smiling. If we'd only seen one scene of the TV series and it had one of the ninja frowning, would we really be worried that they'd continue frowning for the entire series?

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Penkid11 said:

Lego does something exciting, like, oh I don't know, pour millions into the brand name for a movie, and the Ninjago Weeaboos act like their world is going to end.

Trailer is tomorrow. Don't compare the two until you see the movie.

This. Thanks for the concise statement on this issue. I myself am a major Ninjago fan (as I know you are) and that doesn't mean I have to hate it because it's different. For goodness sakes, not even the TV show is going away. As Penkid says, wait until you at least see the film, then criticize.

I have never watched the Ninjago cartoon. Nor do I plan to. But seeing the aesthetic of the movie and knowing the cast includes Abbi Jacobson, Michael Peña, Fred Armisen, and Kumail Nanjiani makes me a lot more interested in this.

Fixed my sound and listened to the teaser! 

Jackie Chan sounds too young for Wu to me. I found myself going "Is that Wu?"

Jay's personality doesn't seemed to have changed, I'm glad!

Lloyd looks ugly :sad:

Bad Blood at the end sucked. There is no clear reason for that song, and why isn't it the Weekend Whip? The Weekend Whip would've been awesome if it played throughout.

I think they included the Bad Blood song because of the end part you hear, the "Hey" sounds kinda like the noise you make when you karate kick or karate chop a piece of wood as one does on a normal basis. 

8 minutes ago, Ashnflash said:

I think they included the Bad Blood song because of the end part you hear, the "Hey" sounds kinda like the noise you make when you karate kick or karate chop a piece of wood as one does on a normal basis. 

You're right. Even though I don't agree it is the best choice of music, the song gives the vibe that there is going to be lots of action.

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Fixed my sound and listened to the teaser! 

Jackie Chan sounds too young for Wu to me. I found myself going "Is that Wu?"

Too young? Jackie Chan is 62 years old. 

6 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

Too young? Jackie Chan is 62 years old. 

From Ninjago Wiki:

Wu is several hundreds of years old.[2] 

:wink: 

I get your point, but he doesn't sound old. Paul Dobson seems more convincing.

https://twitter.com/lego_games/status/829112648490950657

Two new pics. Garmaddon wears a cloth bib as he chases Wu wearing a cloth skirt in the forest. Lloyd looking like Anakin Skywalker holding a black and green ninja hood. Do they make dual molded headwear?

I miss the rib pattern Garmadon used to have, but right now, I'm just amazed by the fact that he has a freaking TEN PACK.

Although I've only saw the teaser:

I know what's wrong with the faces!

In the tv-cartoon serie the faces retained Lego minifig features. In this teaser-trailer for the movie the figures are made as real Lego (the stop-motion effect through CGI) but the faces do not look like Lego minifig facial expressions. It is a mismatch!
The ninja faces from the movie also look somewhat as neanderthalers...

That is just a visual. The movie can still be good or bad.

17 minutes ago, AyliffeMakit said:

im in love with this film already 

Same here. Now my reaction

The Exo Force style mecha is so cool!!! I love how they are treating the Lord Garmadon and Lloyd Garmadon relationship also!!!

Eh, aye. Ninja faces still look neanderthal.

Lloyd's dragon looks cool.
The boat (bounty?) looks cool.
The shark looks funny

The rest of vehicles for the Ninja's get to much showtime. It is about Ninja's not their means of transport.

In the Lego movie universe the water can be either blue lego bricks or real water. So that is not an issue to moan about.

17 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Please don't tell me Zane is going to be smiling like an idiot for the whole movie..

I think you just predicted the worst.