PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

Says who?

I don't think the LEGO game series has been affected by sticking to the formula at all. It still has more variation than a dull hardcore game like Call of Duty and it wouldn't be a LEGO game if you weren't smashing stuff up to get studs.

To me, it's the same with The LEGO Movie. You need the same style for that consistency and for it to feel like a LEGO movie otherwise it would lose its identity. The only exception to the rule is sci-fi because the great thing about science fiction is it's limitless.

But, the movie will be mostly in TLM animation. I just hope that they realize how useful this "link" can be.

Okay the movie will mostly be the original TLM animation, however since it is presumably set in Japan, hopefully there are some references or cameos here and there.

Why would it be set in Japan? It'll be set in the TLM equivalent of Ninjago or City, not the TLM equivalent of a real-world location.

Why would it be set in Japan? It'll be set in the TLM equivalent of Ninjago or City, not the TLM equivalent of a real-world location.

But Ninjago is mostly a parody of an East Asian world (the first two episodes provide example). Do you really think the buildings will look normal?

Do you really think they'll pass up an opportunity like this?

Really, tons of buildings in Ninjago City are Japanese inspired, with Eastern writings on billboards and posters, even in the Digiverse. It's also a written language.

Edited by gamejutzu

But Ninjago is mostly a parody of an East Asian world (the first two episodes provide example). Do you really think the buildings will look normal?

Do you really think they'll pass up an opportunity like this?

Really, tons of buildings in Ninjago City are Japanese inspired, with Eastern writings on billboards and posters, even in the Digiverse. It's also a written language.

I never said anything about Asian architecture. It's one of my favorite aspects of NINJAGO. But the film being set in Japan, or the LEGO equivalent of actual Japan? That I have issue with.

Edited by Mandate

I never said anything about Asian architecture. It's one of my favorite aspects of NINJAGO. But the film being set in Japan, or the LEGO equivalent of actual Japan? That I have issue with.

Yes, that would suck. I'd say Ninjago city is part "normal", and partly Japanese inspired. I wouldn't go overboard and say it's a completely Japan-ized setting, that's not true.

part "normal", and partly Japanese

I don't know why is this so funny. :laugh:

Anyways, the plot description clearly says 'island of Ninjago'. I don't see where did Japan theories come from.

I don't know why is this so funny. :laugh:

What I mean by "normal", is a regular city, like the US or some other place.

I don't see where did Japan theories come from.

Are you serious?

I meant, that Ninjago's numerous locations, are Japanese inspired. I myself wouldn't say that Ninjago IS Japan though.

The frozen wasteland? There's Japanese looking gates there.

The caves of despair? Same thing.

The temple of fire? There's an ornate entrance inside. The set is even more Japanese inspired.

Ninjago uses something very similar to Japanese for it's writing system. There are several people with Chinese and Japanese names...

I guess you can say Ninjago City (where the movie will likely take place) is some kind of a hybrid between a Japanese and a normal city.

Edited by gamejutzu

Are you serious?

Cagast is referring to the theory of the movie taking place in Japan, not the movie's/series' inspiration of design. Albeit, the inspiration is Japanese, but let's not confuse the two.

And maybe perhaps we can change the subject back to the movie proper?

I, for one, am very curious about the design choices they shall go with for the Ninja.

I, for one, am very curious about the design choices they shall go with for the Ninja.

School uniforms :laugh: NOT, PLEASE!

The four most recent variants are Airjitzu gi, Deepstone robes, Skybound robes and the upcoming throwback gi. My guess is that the new suits are mostly in their signature colours, with 'heavier' armour (printed) compared with throwback gi, and golden decoration. I expect different facial expressions and also a few everyday life variants (like Pyjama Emmet).

The wishful-thinking expectation: Cool ninja assasins in black and signature colour accents, silver/gunmetal gray dragon-scaled printing, a dragon tatoo on one of the arms, a shinobi helmet, facial masks and a whole lot of new traditional weapons :grin:

I was just thinking about this movie, and then I realized, that Lloyd is already in The Lego Movie. Is that supposed to be after or before this?

They confirmed it to be in the same universe, but I believe that's all we know. I think drawing lines between these movies based on cameos is overthinking the matter and quite pointless in this case. We don't even know how old the current ninja team will be in the movie.

I just hope they don't ruin it with humans again. :sceptic:

I think that's very unlikely, fortunately, as TLM was targeted towards a broader audience and it was also the first cinematic LEGO movie, which was a good opportunity to sneak in many references and nods to AFOLs over the whole spectrum of the brand. Now, let's hope that they please us with a few references to the original ninja theme, with samurai!

Cagast is referring to the theory of the movie taking place in Japan, not the movie's/series' inspiration of design. Albeit, the inspiration is Japanese, but let's not confuse the two.

Ah, it's hard to tell who means what on the internet sometimes...

Ever since I contemplated a time-travel season of Ninjago, I realized how cool traditional ninja outfits would be.

They could be in signature colors, but with different oriental decorations, depending on what "clan" (color) they were. For example, fire gets golden flame details on the armor, and Lloyd's gets golden or silver designs.

And this would also be a good opportunity to get the dual molded 2011 hoods as well... However, from a playability value, the 2011 masks are poor...

Perhaps thay could fix the back of the mask, so that it doesn't interfere with the head turning?

Edited by gamejutzu

I just hope they don't ruin it with humans again. :sceptic:

Yeah, so many movies these days have been ruined this way. Deadpool, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Mad Max: Fury Road, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. Seriously, Hollywood? Nobody wants to watch movies with humans in them!

Serious answer, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that meta-narrative — in fact, I think it's one of the key things that made The LEGO Movie so profound, since instead of a generic "hero's journey" it helped pack the story with messages about storytelling, family, and childhood. But I also don't expect humans to be a part of The LEGO Ninjago movie. I think that meta-narrative will probably stay relegated to The LEGO Movie and its direct sequels, not spin-offs like this one or The LEGO Batman Movie. The most I could see them bringing the meta-narrative into either of these movies would be as an end credits gag or something like that.

Someone from Finn's world may or may not be telling the story in all of these movies, but unless they and their world are a part of that story, then neither needs to be shown. The same as how movies set in the real world do not have to show any kind of deities, regardless of whether or not the filmmaker believes in them, except in cases like Bruce Almighty or Monty Python and the Holy Grail where one of those deities is an actual character in the story.

Although this movie is implied to work aesthetically like the Lego Movie, that does not meant that it will feature any live-action.

IMO, I think that it should be saved primarily for the Lego Movie franchise only.

So, three days ago, some news about Ninjago movie is actually revealed in cinema can, though it's not really something big.

So here it is :

Next on the docket was another LEGO movie that’s also coming out next year: The LEGO Ninjago Movie. The film is being constructed as a heavy genre mash-up (specifically of kung-fu films and kaiju movies), with the concept art for the film being described by attendees as a LEGO version of Pacific Rim. Charlie Bean (Tron: Uprising) makes his feature animation debut with this film, from a screenplay by Kevin and Dan Hageman.

It seems like Ninjago will still have it's Mythic-technological genre in the movie.

Which is good in my opinion, cuz this is the thing that made me falls in love with Ninjago in the first place.

Here's the link to the website that say that : http://www.rotoscopers.com/2016/04/14/cinemacon-2016-big-news-and-developments-on-warner-animation-groups-film-slate/

"Specifically of kung-fu films and kaiju movies".

...so we're getting highschool wereninja fighting godzillas in giant mechsuits.

I legitimately do not know what is going on anymore.

Pacific Rim's style is pretty much shiny metal all over the place with tron lines everywhere else. As a result, describing the Ninjago movie as Pacific Rim ala LEGO makes me think of the Nexo Knights app, which is better than what other descriptions have made me think of it.

Pacific Rim's style is pretty much shiny metal all over the place with tron lines everywhere else. As a result, describing the Ninjago movie as Pacific Rim ala LEGO makes me think of the Nexo Knights app, which is better than what other descriptions have made me think of it.

The comparison to Pacific Rim is pretty vague. It could have been talking about mechs for the ninja, or monsters for the ninja to fight, or even things like the colors, lighting, or sense of scale. And on top of all that, we're still just talking about concept art. As such I wouldn't read too much into these descriptions, at least not until we've seen something a little more concrete.

Ninja doing kong-fu moves with giant elemental mech suits (Bionicles :tongue:) versus gigantic monsters? Sure, bring it! :grin:

Honestly, Bionicle (with Takanuva, Mata Nui and Makuta) x Ninjago would be a fantastic crossover, imo.

Giant robots? Sounds like the final story arc of Bionicle with Makuta as a continent. I'm liking it so far! :grin::thumbup:

Besides, the kaiju reference was quite vague.

Maybe there's another Ninjago ancient legend? (I love those). This one could be about two mythical beings at war, one light and one darkness, who've slept for years. The ninja may need to help, and the team may even be split on which deity to defend.

There could be a war waged as well, with darkness minions turning the sky black or something.

Or the giant robot could be the Overlord or Garmadon returning.

Either way, giant ancient robots sound good to me. Add some techno and i'm hooked.

Edited by gamejutzu