PenPlays

The Lego Ninjago Movie (2017)

ninjago_movie_poster.png

NinjaJayNuva has brought the following up in the Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu thread:

http://www.movieinsi...production#plot

I decided that now would be the proper time to begin a thread for the movie in particular.

Discuss!

Edited by Penkid11

Bit disappointed to see them taking the whole high schoolers routine, unless it's a whole new team of ninja and the teachers are our current ninja heroes (I'd watch a movie where our current ninja are all sensei and they are training a new generation)...

As far as Garmadon and the snakes, they've been a staple of the theme until just recently, so I guess it makes sense it would come back to this.

Ninjago is the story of six young ninja tasked with defending their island home, called Ninjago. By night, they’re gifted warriors, using their skill and awesome fleet of vehicles to fight villains and monsters. By day, they’re ordinary teens, struggling against their greatest enemy: high school.

postcard,beaker,muppets-537c43451910123b71107abf6213895b_h.jpg

It's Phil Lord and Chris Miller, so chances are they're doing a send-up on bad/cheesy kids movies. Not all hope is lost yet.

I mean, it's not the Ninjago we know, but hey...accually there really isn't much to say about this other than, the sets better be cool and the movie better be half decent.

If this turns out to actually be the plot, I'm going to be very glad I switched my interests to Nexo Knights. Seriously? They turned it into a high school disguise plot?

Let's hope this turns half decent. If this fails, then we have the The LEGO Batman Movie to turn to.

Edited by Ordinareo

Amazing Spiderman 1 take place in highschool,and nobody hate it.

Power ranger take place in high school and nobody hate it.

Ninjago in highschool,and everybody instantly hate it.

What is this world made out of.

Edited by NinjaJayNuva

I wouldn't say "nobody" hated The Amazing Spider-Man or Power Rangers. I've known quite a few people who do dislike those things. But with that said, yeah, I don't think this is the end of the world for Ninjago. So the creators of the movie want to do things differently? That could go badly, but it could also go well. There's no reason a movie needs complete adherence to the story it's based on to be worth watching. And there's no reason a high school movie is inherently bad.

It'll be interesting to see how the LEGO Group handles two separate canons, though. Will they tie up the TV series canon with a bow and move on to this new one? Or will they continue the TV series with its own separate canon from the movies, like TMNT tends to do?

The logo looks cool!

Color me surprised. I wasn't necessarily expecting a reboot, much less one that changes things up so dramatically.

Still, I doubt this'll mean the end of the TV show canon, nor do I think this movie will be bad.

A bit of a shame, though, that this seemingly reduces the chance of a high-school based Lego Friends movie...

As far as Garmadon and the snakes, they've been a staple of the theme until just recently, so I guess it makes sense it would come back to this.

That part's not referring to the movie - note that that segment of the text is dated from September 2013, so it's clearly talking about the TV show.

I wouldn't say "nobody" hated The Amazing Spider-Man or Power Rangers. I've known quite a few people who do dislike those things. But with that said, yeah, I don't think this is the end of the world for Ninjago. So the creators of the movie want to do things differently? That could go badly, but it could also go well. There's no reason a movie needs complete adherence to the story it's based on to be worth watching. And there's no reason a high school movie is inherently bad.

I think it's more the huge emphasis placed on the "high school" part of things, particularly the part where they called it their "worst enemy". To me at least that brings into mind Lloyd coming home after having brutally murdered poofed his father into another realm only for his mother to nag him about the assignment due the next day only to react with "moooooooom!". They make it sound like it's going to be an integral part of the story, rather than a basic backdrop for the story.

The "Highschool by Day, Cliche by Night" story as I like to call it is hated for many good reasons. Usually it means the protagonist/s are a bunch of cookie cutter Mary Sue hipsters designed to be a hit with the teens. As I've said before though, it's Phil Lord and Chris Miller. They're not doing this to get out of making a good story or because the setting appealed to them, they're doing this as a parody of the genre, and knowing them it'll be perfect.

It'll be interesting to see how the LEGO Group handles two separate canons, though. Will they tie up the TV series canon with a bow and move on to this new one? Or will they continue the TV series with its own separate canon from the movies, like TMNT tends to do?

Hopefully they'll let both of them coexist in peace, each blissfully ignorant of the other's existence.

Edited by Mandate

I think it's more the huge emphasis placed on the "high school" part of things, particularly the part where they called it their "worst enemy". To me at least that brings into mind Lloyd coming home after having brutally murdered poofed his father into another realm only for his mother to nag him about the assignment due the next day only to react with "moooooooom!". They make it sound like it's going to be an integral part of the story, rather than a basic backdrop for the story.

The "Highschool by Day, Cliche by Night" story as I like to call it is hated for many good reasons. Usually it means the protagonist/s are a bunch of cookie cutter Mary Sue hipsters designed to be a hit with the teens. As I've said before though, it's Phil Lord and Chris Miller. They're not doing this to get out of making a good story or because the setting appealed to them, they're doing this as a parody of the genre, and knowing them it'll be perfect.

Agreed. I think they'll send up everything people hate about high-school movies, maybe even with a fun cameo from Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Because as you've pointed it out, it's not original. Power Ranger and so many other shows have done it before.

"Unoriginal" is a very easy, very lazy accusation that can be thrown at pretty much anything. LEGO itself is unoriginal - plenty of other toy companies were making plastic building blocks before they came along - and yet here we all are. Plenty of writers get so invested in telling an "original" story that they forget to tell a good one. And a lot of the best stories come from interrogating and deconstructing well-established narrative ideas rather than trying too hard to come up with wholly new ones.

Yeah, the problem if you try to be too bold or different is that there's a reason why the ideas you are trying to ignore work. The best thing to do is to mix and match genres (as Ghostbusters and Shaun of the Dead do with the mixing of horror and comedy).

I don't think that type of story is really as "hated" as you think — there's a reason why Spider-Man has long been one of the most popular Marvel superheroes. Spider-Man was one of the first teen superheroes in comics who wasn't somebody else's sidekick and had to deal with the usual trials of adolescence alongside his crime-fighting career. Rather than being a "Mary-Sue hipster", he was quite the opposite — a rare superhero for his time who actually had to deal with challenges of everyday life as well as emotional insecurities that teens could relate to. His superhero persona was an escape from his very real civilian life, rather than his civilian life just being a ploy to hide or facilitate his superhero adventures. And these types of stories aren't just designed to be a hit with kids and teens — very often, they are, which is a part of why people keep telling them.

As a matter of fact, I just recently got into a show that fits that very "high schooler by day" mold, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir. Sure, it has lots of cliche and tropey elements, not to mention a somewhat formulaic "monster of the week" storyline. But I still thoroughly enjoy it, in large part because it's full of endearing characters with lots of quirks and vulnerabilities.

Ironically, even though LEGO Ninjago has never exactly been this type of story, the lyrics of its theme song The Weekend Whip allude to this kind of "double-life" — dealing with tedious and mundane challenges on the weekdays so that when the weekend arrives you're ready to do all the more exciting things you've spent all week anticipating.

Well.... that's the point. It's overused

And your list is very short

There are a lot more

Ninjago is the story of six young ninja tasked with defending their island home, called Ninjago. By night, they’re gifted warriors, using their skill and awesome fleet of vehicles to fight villains and monsters. By day, they’re ordinary teens, struggling against their greatest enemy: high school.

tumblr_neafgpQ01q1r3gb3zo4_500.gif

The fact that Ninjago can now be compared to a show that caters to kids in strollers should be bad enough.

I think this movie will be pushed back to 2018 or 2019, because The Lego Batman Movie is premiering in 2017, and it will be too much fatigue for the Lego brand if both movies premiere in the same year

I think this movie will be pushed back to 2018 or 2019, because The Lego Batman Movie is premiering in 2017, and it will be too much fatigue for the Lego brand if both movies premiere in the same year

Warner Bros. knew the LEGO Batman Movie would be coming out in 2017 when they made the announcement that they were pushing the LEGO Ninjago Movie back. If they thought two movies seven months apart would be too much fatigue, then surely they would have pushed it to a later date than that in the first place.