Ordinareo

The LEGO Batman Movie

On 12/15/2017 at 3:23 PM, Robert8 said:

Man, sometimes I just don't get this. Boss Baby? Captain Underpants? Despicable Me 3? It seems like they took a list of all the big budget animated movies of this year and snubbed Lego yet again. Are they that adverse to product placements? Then why Cars 3?

On 1/23/2018 at 9:32 AM, Ashnflash said:

Add LBM to the list of LEGO movies that are Oscar snubbed........ 

Man, the oscars are hot garbage at nominating the correct movies.

Lets be honest, the winner is Coco. Everybody has known for ages the winner will be Coco. So everything else listed is just padding based entirely on who shelled out enough money to get their piece of crap animated movie on the list for bragging and marketing rights. "OSCAR NOMINATED!!!" Warner or Lego probably didn't see the point of the spend.

3 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Lets be honest, the winner is Coco. Everybody has known for ages the winner will be Coco. So everything else listed is just padding based entirely on who shelled out enough money to get their piece of crap animated movie on the list for bragging and marketing rights. "OSCAR NOMINATED!!!" Warner or Lego probably didn't see the point of the spend.

I'm guessing you didn't get a chance to see Loving Vincent. I can definitely see the Oscar folks picking that one over Coco.

But here's the thing: Oscars (And other awards shows) are pretty silly overall. They don't define whether a film is good or not, so who cares in the end? LEGO  Batman was still a fun time and I still like it at the end of the day.

This movie has everything. Action, comedy, drama, thriller, suspense...it is a mash up of all the goods fans of DC would want to see in cinema. A comedy like no other. The entire crowd in the cinema was laughing out loud the whole duration of the movie, it felt just like Deadpool, but better. Jesus! How i loved that movie! You just gotta see it for yourself, probably the best comedy of the year of 2017, even though there tons of movies still coming out it will be hard to beat this. Batman's universe has never been so well explored, and there is this joker and batman relationship thing that just kills me. HILARIOUS!

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

I rewatched the Lego Batman movie and noticed it was basically a giant commercial for Apple.

Not really? Like, yes, it is product placement. But billions of movies have similar product placement and nobody bats (heh) an eye. And the only places where it was noticeably prominent was in the service of some decent jokes (i.e. Batman's Bat-Computer having the same voice as one of the most well-known consumer grade "digital assistants").

34 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Not really? Like, yes, it is product placement. But billions of movies have similar product placement and nobody bats (heh) an eye. And the only places where it was noticeably prominent was in the service of some decent jokes (i.e. Batman's Bat-Computer having the same voice as one of the most well-known consumer grade "digital assistants").

I know. I was exaggerating. Nice pun though.

“It was a story about the Justice League and where Batman was in terms of the Justice League now, and the struggles they were going through, as well as flashing back to how the Justice League came together. [It also featured] Batman and Superman’s relationship, as well as Batman’s relationship to a lot of the other members of the Justice League. And Robin, obviously, there was a really great part for Robin.” - Chris McKay

Personally, I think this movie sounds like it could have been really fun, and a natural continuation to the series. Between this and the Billion Brick Race (which also sounded interesting to me), we could have gotten some really cool sets, which may be what I miss most about these Lego Movies now that they’re gone. (For now anyway, though I am more than a bit nervous about Universal’s plans for the property.)

Edited by The Stud

On 6/10/2021 at 4:25 PM, Robert8 said:

The sequel has been officially cancelled

Not so awesome.  

On 6/11/2021 at 12:08 AM, The Stud said:

“It was a story about the Justice League and where Batman was in terms of the Justice League now, and the struggles they were going through, as well as flashing back to how the Justice League came together. [It also featured] Batman and Superman’s relationship, as well as Batman’s relationship to a lot of the other members of the Justice League. And Robin, obviously, there was a really great part for Robin.” - Chris McKay

Personally, I think this movie sounds like it could have been really fun, and a natural continuation to the series. Between this and the Billion Brick Race (which also sounded interesting to me), we could have gotten some really cool sets, which may be what I miss most about these Lego Movies now that they’re gone. (For now anyway, though I am more than a bit nervous about Universal’s plans for the property.)

Yeah, Universal certainly has a lot to live up to with whatever they come up with. The Lego movies produced by WAG weren't always quite even with one another but they were consistently a fun time. And when it comes to the nitty gritty of franchise ownership, no one company really covers the breadth of Lego licensed themes, but WB's ownership of DC arguably was more promising to me than the small stable of Universal-owned franchises, especially given those characters' histories of being interpreted in multiple ways making Lego's distinct interpretations of them possible. I guess for me the upside is I don't have to fear a Lego Harry Potter movie becoming a reality any time soon.

Anyway, the sequel concepts discussed in the article sound like they could have been really promising. My own personal idea for a sequel involved the Teen Titans and Batman, having learned to accept being a part of a family, having to learn to accept his little Robin "leaving the nest". But a focus on Batman's other relationships could also have been good.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Yeah, Universal certainly has a lot to live up to with whatever they come up with

There is no confirmation for this, but I have a theory regarding what Universal might be trying out with their LEGO Movies. Recently, on the LEGO World Builder platform, they pushed heavily for the creative prompt of "Combing Live-Action Humans with LEGO Minifigures". Basically, kind of like a LEGO version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I have a strong suspicion this might be one of the ideas they are throwing around at Universal, otherwise I see no reason why LEGO would ask fans to come up with a concept for this. Because let us be real here, this sounds more like a concept more fit for a comedy movie and something that wouldn't really make much sense as a LEGO theme. 

The fact that they literally say "Your ideas could become the next theatrical release" in the post certainly provides some credibility to this theory. 

I think they could still make a deal with WB to use Batman

Sony and Disney have a deal with Spiderman

Universal and Disney have a deal with Hulk

Edited by Robert8

9 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Yeah, Universal certainly has a lot to live up to with whatever they come up with. The Lego movies produced by WAG weren't always quite even with one another but they were consistently a fun time. And when it comes to the nitty gritty of franchise ownership, no one company really covers the breadth of Lego licensed themes, but WB's ownership of DC arguably was more promising to me than the small stable of Universal-owned franchises, especially given those characters' histories of being interpreted in multiple ways making Lego's distinct interpretations of them possible. I guess for me the upside is I don't have to fear a Lego Harry Potter movie becoming a reality any time soon.

Anyway, the sequel concepts discussed in the article sound like they could have been really promising. My own personal idea for a sequel involved the Teen Titans and Batman, having learned to accept being a part of a family, having to learn to accept his little Robin "leaving the nest". But a focus on Batman's other relationships could also have been good.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Universal isn’t really known for making animated movies and the two major animation studios they own (Illumination and Dreamworks) tend to be regarded as studios that make mediocre movies with a few exceptions. That alone makes me nervous for the Lego film franchise being under “new management”.

While I feel that Warner Bros peaked with their first Lego entry, I still think that all four films (including Ninjago to a degree) turned out to be good, well-made movies and are better than most of the animated movies put out by the studios that aren’t Disney or Pixar. What it came down to in the end was poor decisions by Warner Bros, which I could take about at length despite my enjoyment of each of their movies. I really wish we were living in that other timeline where The Lego Ninjago Movie and The Lego Movie 2 were both smash hits and The Lego Batman Sequel and The Billion Brick Race were guaranteed with more on the way. It’s a humongous shame.

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

There is no confirmation for this, but I have a theory regarding what Universal might be trying out with their LEGO Movies. Recently, on the LEGO World Builder platform, they pushed heavily for the creative prompt of "Combing Live-Action Humans with LEGO Minifigures". Basically, kind of like a LEGO version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I have a strong suspicion this might be one of the ideas they are throwing around at Universal, otherwise I see no reason why LEGO would ask fans to come up with a concept for this. Because let us be real here, this sounds more like a concept more fit for a comedy movie and something that wouldn't really make much sense as a LEGO theme. 

The fact that they literally say "Your ideas could become the next theatrical release" in the post certainly provides some credibility to this theory. 

Honestly, this is really plausible. While I’m not a fan at all of this concept, I would at least appreciate Universal for trying something new instead of just copying what Warner Bros did animation-wise.

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I have a feeling that Universal is going to start fresh with their Lego movies so no Emmet, no Wyldstyle and no Batman. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried a Ninjago movie again though, assuming that it’s still popular with the kids by the end of this decade.

Michael Waldron, head writer for the Loki series, posted about this film as well with the cover for the script of “Lego Superfriends”. Hopefully the full thing leaks or is released to the public someday, along with concept art. I’m also reading that Lex Luther and OMAC would have been the main villains and it seems like the idea of a Marvel crossover was potentially thrown around!? Man, I really wish we could have seen this come to fruition.

11 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I'll be honest, my ranking of the films is TLM, Ninjago, and then Batman and TLM2 alternating with TLM2 having a slight edge. Ninjago is certainly probably the worst entry in the series, and I don't keep up with Ninjago storylines (I own 8 sets over the course of ten years or however long it's been around). But it was the only LEGO film that made me cry, so that's probably why it's second for me. But yes, they were always fun movies. The highs were always sky high. The lows weren't low per se, but not the quality we hoped for.

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

Please no.

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

And Lego Masters US has Will Arnet mention he's LEGO Batman all the time and is produced by Plan B (Brad Pitt's company), ESNA, Tuesday's Child, and maybe one or two other companies? From 2002 to 2005, Plan B had a production deal (not necesarrily relevant to the LEGO Masters show and Lego Movies connection) with WB, and they only got it again in 2020, after Lego Masters US S1 had aired. The show is also aired on FOX. So basically distribution and company have correlation, and this happens a lot.

If WB really wanted to give a beat down on mentioning Lego Batman, they would have. It's not like Arnet is a random guest where the host says "And here's XXX known from movie ABC!" He's the star of the second movie in a series and a main character in two others.

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I have a feeling that Universal is going to start fresh with their Lego movies so no Emmet, no Wyldstyle and no Batman. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried a Ninjago movie again though, assuming that it’s still popular with the kids by the end of this decade.

Michael Waldron, head writer for the Loki series, posted about this film as well with the cover for the script of “Lego Superfriends”. Hopefully the full thing leaks or is released to the public someday, along with concept art. I’m also reading that Lex Luther and OMAC would have been the main villains and it seems like the idea of a Marvel crossover was potentially thrown around!? Man, I really wish we could have seen this come to fruition.

Personally, I'd love to leave the Emmet world behind. I love Emmet. I LOVE Benny. But I think we've seen the Emmet story play out. The only sequel we really would need is Finn/Emmet dealing with their own kid, which honestly we already had basically with the first movie (and the second part), but it would serve as a good bookend to a trilogy. Finn goes all in on creativity and sharing and has to find how to get a kid who grew up around LEGO into it. In the LEGO world, Emmet gets a new friend or even has a kid with Lucy  who doesn't want to do the things Emmet likes, and he learns to give and take, with the real world story then showing Finn and his kid interacting with LEGO and things the kid likes and combining them.

As for the script, I'm in a facebook group for industry assistants and I'm one of multiple people trying to track down this script to read it. If I get it, I'll send it off to whoever wants it.

5 hours ago, KotZ said:

Please no.

Well, I mean, the only other alternative with Universal in charge would be an IP-crossover with some of the IPs owned by Universal (Jurassic World, Minions, Fast and Furious, etc) and to be honest I don't feel like any of those franchises would lend themselves to being good LEGO Movies. The most plausible of those would be a LEGO Jurassic World movie, and while I am pretty sure that would sell very well because of the Dinosaurs, I don't know how in the world you would make a good movie with that concept. A LEGO parody of Jurassic Park/World? Given how this is generally pretty serious franchise with often gruesome deaths, I don't know how in the world you would make a parody out of that. 

While I do agree that a LEGO version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit is a pretty silly concept, I would honestly much rather prefer to see completely new crazy idea like that instead of another IP crossover with whatever random properties Universal happens to own. 

Edited by Lego David

On 6/16/2021 at 12:41 AM, KotZ said:

I'll be honest, my ranking of the films is TLM, Ninjago, and then Batman and TLM2 alternating with TLM2 having a slight edge. Ninjago is certainly probably the worst entry in the series, and I don't keep up with Ninjago storylines (I own 8 sets over the course of ten years or however long it's been around). But it was the only LEGO film that made me cry, so that's probably why it's second for me. But yes, they were always fun movies. The highs were always sky high. The lows weren't low per se, but not the quality we hoped for.

Please no.

And Lego Masters US has Will Arnet mention he's LEGO Batman all the time and is produced by Plan B (Brad Pitt's company), ESNA, Tuesday's Child, and maybe one or two other companies? From 2002 to 2005, Plan B had a production deal (not necesarrily relevant to the LEGO Masters show and Lego Movies connection) with WB, and they only got it again in 2020, after Lego Masters US S1 had aired. The show is also aired on FOX. So basically distribution and company have correlation, and this happens a lot.

If WB really wanted to give a beat down on mentioning Lego Batman, they would have. It's not like Arnet is a random guest where the host says "And here's XXX known from movie ABC!" He's the star of the second movie in a series and a main character in two others.

Personally, I'd love to leave the Emmet world behind. I love Emmet. I LOVE Benny. But I think we've seen the Emmet story play out. The only sequel we really would need is Finn/Emmet dealing with their own kid, which honestly we already had basically with the first movie (and the second part), but it would serve as a good bookend to a trilogy. Finn goes all in on creativity and sharing and has to find how to get a kid who grew up around LEGO into it. In the LEGO world, Emmet gets a new friend or even has a kid with Lucy  who doesn't want to do the things Emmet likes, and he learns to give and take, with the real world story then showing Finn and his kid interacting with LEGO and things the kid likes and combining them.

As for the script, I'm in a facebook group for industry assistants and I'm one of multiple people trying to track down this script to read it. If I get it, I'll send it off to whoever wants it.

If you manage to find it, I'd love to read it

7 hours ago, GeneralNumberOne said:

If you manage to find it, I'd love to read it

Sadly I still haven't received it, but I do have an early draft of the first movie. It's very different from what we saw on screen. If anyone wants to read it, just PM me and I'll email it to you.