Hi all! This is a small idea that I had quite recently as an item that could be found in a set that added playability to a Lego train set. It's less for show displays and more for a child's little Lego City oval of track in their room. There's no electricity, just a mechanism that'll hopefully make it feel like the operator is a signalman!

25339402103_6e088d0202_c.jpg

It's not based on any particular signal box, but the signal is very clearly an old British design. The box is cut in half to reveal the interior of the box and to provide access to the lever of the mechanism:

25942221506_c4ec139088_o.png

It's a very simple set-up, with the mechanism being the most complicated aspect to it.

Here's a (VERY) quick diagram of the mechanism:

25339917233_e726710c99_c.jpg

I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions to improve this!

I might put it forward to Lego Ideas in the near future, maybe with a little train to go with it!

Many thanks,

Isaac

It looks very nice. I'd like to play with it and I would support your idea. This kind of set would be an excellent addition for supplemental train sets.

That's a lovely little thing. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to be a pedant, but as a UK train driver I see these things most days at work. What you've modelled is an upper quadrant signal with a lower quadrant arm. With the way you've hinged the arm the red lens should be in-line with the signal arm with the green lens above it so that they move in turn in front of a lamp. You might like to add the white sighting bar near the end too. The reverse of the signal arm should be white with a black bar.

Edited by Hod Carrier

What you've modelled is an upper quadrant signal with a lower quadrant arm. With the way you've hinged the arm the red lens should be in-line with the signal arm with the green lens above it so that they move in turn in front of a lamp. You might like to add the white sighting bar near the end too. The reverse of the signal arm should be white with a black bar.

Ah i see what you mean. Bare in mind that the accuracy was more of an afterthought, but if i come to tweak the model again i'll remember that, thanks!

I've completed a full idea for a 'set' involving the signal box, a saddle-tank engine with a coach, a platform and figures. The current downside is that there isn't really room for an official Lego motor or power functions in an engine that small. Nevertheless, here is the moc:

25913816702_8e9324912b_c.jpg