Hello dudes and dudets.

Even though I have replied to some threads here and there,I haven't taken the chance to introduce myself. So here goes nothing:

My name Leon Shobaki, 27 years old from Stockholm. Currently I have a masters degree in Advanced Machine Design from RTH (Royal Institute of Technology), you could have guessed it from my nick ;)

I work at a daughter-company to Scania, so during my days I design different tools for truck manufacturing as well as plattforms and steel structures for heavy sorting machinery (>16 tons each).

I'm also married with a Lego-freak :D here is some bad info though, I have Aspergers syndrome which makes me socialy handicapped and akward, as I very rarely understand jokes or ethiquettes. It is hard sometimes as people can think I'm just being rude.

The truck I'm building: An Iveco Stralis 4x4 Trailer truck LPE I-6 scale 1:12

Engine: Own-built LPE Inline-6

Transmission: None, OWC. Total gear ratio Engine-->Wheels 3.88:1

Drivetrain: 4WD

Suspension: Leaf springs front & rear

Steering: Rod + Link

Brake system: Pneumatic Disc brakes front, Pneumatic Drum brakes rear

Compressor: Directional full pump

Cabin: Lucio Switch's Iveco Tractor

Extras: Doors with lock, 2 AA battery boxes, IR remote and tower, 40 third party LEDs.

I have to fiddle with image upload, till then here are two youtube videos of if:

Video of lights and rear brakes

Video of engine cover and engine running @2-3bars

More to come!

Thanks

Great truck and I like the idea of using a LPE instead of PF but it seems like there might be a little too much chassis flex but that might just be the camera.

Is there any chance of a video of it moving?

I did not understand what you were trying to say with the video. Could you be more specific? :)

I think he means try using plates as your leaf springs instead of axles.

Great truck and I like the idea of using a LPE instead of PF but it seems like there might be a little too much chassis flex but that might just be the camera.

Is there any chance of a video of it moving?

I think he means try using plates as your leaf springs instead of axles.

Thanks! I have tried many of Nicjasno's ideas and I find them inspiring. However, my truck is very heavy. In my setup I use a 2x 5L axles + 2x 7L half beams per side as leaf springs. They do the work pretty nice :)

In the rear suspension, I use 4x 9L axles per side giving a semi-hard damping :)

On Wednesday, I will try to make a video of it driving. It is really heavy, I think it weighs 5,5 kg as of now

Welcome to the forum and GL on this project! I have also built a truck with an LPE. The LPW is Alex's, from LPEpower (I always give him the credit - he makes likely the best LPEs out there) - although I have built my own his are much better. Why re-create the wheel?

Trial trucks, or anything driven with an LPE over PF allows trucks to do things they would not have been able to do otherwise. My unimog goes in 7 inches of water no problem:

You will really have to gear it down. I had to gear mine down incredibly to make it work.... not because of lack of torque just because the LPE ran to fast when I needed lots of power. For a large truck you will likely have to gear yours down as well.

Welcome to the forum and GL on this project! I have also built a truck with an LPE. The LPW is Alex's, from LPEpower (I always give him the credit - he makes likely the best LPEs out there) - although I have built my own his are much better. Why re-create the wheel?

Trial trucks, or anything driven with an LPE over PF allows trucks to do things they would not have been able to do otherwise. My unimog goes in 7 inches of water no problem:

You will really have to gear it down. I had to gear mine down incredibly to make it work.... not because of lack of torque just because the LPE ran to fast when I needed lots of power. For a large truck you will likely have to gear yours down as well.

That's a nice, powerful truck! Really cool.

My project though was a challenge set from my collegue. The goal: Build a realistic large-scale truck with LPE. Pack in as many technical functions to mimic real-life setups in that scale.

Not only that the truck features leaf springs front and rear, it also has fully functional brakes with onboard compressor to operate them. Hmm, might wanna gear it down further.

Alex, do you know what total gear ratio you had in your mustang?

Great project. Fairly large truck and a powerful engine. But I think the wheels are to small. They somehow look off scale.

I wanted to say that what you have are not real leaf springs. And plates can also be stacked. You can use 2 plates (16L and 10L, with one of them having 2x1 thin plates without studs on them, so they can slide while compressing.

Leaf springs are nicely scalable. :)

Great project. Fairly large truck and a powerful engine. But I think the wheels are to small. They somehow look off scale.

I agree with you, I was inspired by Lucio Switch and then I "stole" measurements of a real truck similar to Iveco Stralis, but Scania. Since I have access to all their trucks I can get 3D-models of each truck they produce :)

Here is a video taken 2 months ago explaining the front suspension module. Bare in mind that I removed the top differential for this project.

I wanted to say that what you have are not real leaf springs.

I don't fully agree with this because thinking of a studless design then makes more sense to use axles. Yes plates works very well...but if you have a look at my MAN you'll see there is not much space for plates at that scale....and still the leafsprings work super well!

I don't fully agree with this because thinking of a studless design then makes more sense to use axles. Yes plates works very well...but if you have a look at my MAN you'll see there is not much space for plates at that scale....and still the leafsprings work super well!

Totally agree!

I'm quite impressed with the POC leafsprings design. I wonder how permanently disfigured the 2x16 plates would look after the weight has been applied for a few weeks, and if eventually they would stress fracture under the same load. I would be tempted to try this out except I don't think it would work well on a smaller scale truck using a plate length less than 1x 12-16 studs.

Hey guys,

I managed to test drive the truck in my office, it's a bit slow since my air source is a pressurized can of air-dust-blower ~2-3 bars output.

Here are two videos as promised:

Performs better then I expected, although I think it needs a reverse gear :classic:

Performs better then I expected, although I think it needs a reverse gear :classic:

Hahaha indeed it does. Will try to build it in and re-route the directional valve to one IR input.

Somehow I think the steering is a bit weak. Coming to think of it, the front axle has approx 2.0-2.5kg resting on it