Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB3] Prelude to a Duel: Practice makes Perfect

This is my third freebuild of the month. If you like it and are not from Eslandola, please give it a thumb’s up.

This is a continuation of the story of animosities between John Hawksbrugh of Corrington and Philip Janszen of Eslandola, specifically following the events in Angling for a Duel.

Capt. Janszen and his longtime friend, Anthony Crol, were headed for their ship when the dock agent called out.

“Janszen! Come over here!”

“What is it?” replied Philip.

“The Pot o’ Gold came in from Port Raleigh today, and her captain left one of the items from the mail packet with me, figuring you would be down here soon enough. What are you doing getting mail from a Corrie?”

01.jpg

“Haven’t you heard?” said Tony. “Ol’ Pip was called out by this Corrie in the Kings Port Advertiser and has challenged him to a duel!”

“Has he now?” replied the dock agent. “Does he know how good Pip is with a blade? I would hope so, for his sake.” The agent turned to Janszen with the letter. “Here you go, Pip.”

02.jpg

“Let’s see what he has to say.” Philip opened the letter and quickly read its message.

03.jpg

“Hmm. Well, he withdraws calling me an Oleon turncoat… but still insists on defending the honor of his Lady Winifred. I guess my words weren’t enough in that regard.” Janszen read a little further, then laughed. “Ha! He will be taking instruction from Master Kenner in swordsmanship, he says!”

“Taking instruction?! Pip, you’ll kill him. You can’t actually duel this poor sod.”

“I think I have a solution. I shall suggest the winner be whoever can draw first blood. That way I can still teach him a lesson and give him a nice dueling scar as a permanent reminder.”

“That sounds quite reasonable” replied Tony. “And that way I won’t have to hustle you out of that Corrie port while the constables try to arrest you for murder!”

“Thanks Tony. I’m glad I could make this easier on you” said Philip, needling Tony. “But I’m not letting you off the hook. If Hawksbrugh is undergoing training, I must make sure I’m in top form as well, and that is now your responsibility, Tony. En garde!

With that, Philip drew his sword and waited for Tony to draw his. Then the impromptu sparring match began.

04.jpg05.jpg

Philip pressed from the start, and Tony retreated down the dock. Philip jumped on top of a crate to gain high ground, but Tony responded in kind, and they dueled across the tops of crates and barrels on the dock.

06.jpg07.jpg

Eventually, Philip forced Tony back onto the dock. Tony thought he saw an opening and tried a quick thrust, but Philip parried the attack and gained the advantage.

08.jpg

Extended and off balance, Tony conceded the match. “You win, Pip,” said Tony, bowing in concession, “…this time.”

09.jpg

“Ah, that was fun, Tony. Thanks for the workout.”

“No problem, Pip. You were in top form. Mr. Hawksbrugh won’t last long.”

“Yes, we will have more fun in a couple of weeks! I shall write Mr. Hawksbrugh and confirm that we will arrive in Port Raleigh after we complete our trade run at the end of the month.”

Well I'm gettng a little scared now on Hawksbrugh's behalf! But I approve (from Corrington) thumbup.gif

Excellent story and photo sequence. The swordplay pics look great, but do they always practice by climbing atop boxes and barrels? Seems a bit impractical...

This story just keeps getting better. Keep it up.

Approved from Corrington. :thumbup:

Great job, the dock with the ship in the background looks really good! Nice work on the story as well!

:thumbup: from leadership.

Great build! I like the hut (or what we can see from it) and the cobblestone, but the eight image is the best! Lovely minifig posing, great atmosphere...

Edited by TitusV

Great job on the posing and photos, setting up the story. Well done.

Thanks. We're having fun with this story, and this was a grand excuse to work on some dueling poses.

but do they always practice by climbing atop boxes and barrels? Seems a bit impractical...

But of course! Then again, maybe Mr. Hawksbrugh will have an advantage if they fight on level ground.

Great job, the dock with the ship in the background looks really good!

You'll be seeing more of that background ship next month. pirate_wink.gif

the eighth image is the best! Lovely minifig posing, great atmosphere...

That is my favorite photo as well.

Love the posing and the (chromed?) sabres!

Yep, they're chromed. I have three or four chromed swords around here somewhere. Picked up from stray Bricklink sellers over the years. They came out looking even better than I thought they would in the photos.

I hope you're all enjoying the story. Fuzzy and I still have a couple of installments to go.

Really great story and excellent little scenes! +1 :thumbup: from Corrington

The stories building up to this duel have been quite enjoyable. This latest installment does not let us down. The pictures and posing of these scenes makes the story come to life. I look forward to following the duel into the future.

+1 approval from Corrington.

This story has been really interesting to follow so far, and I have no doubt the following installments will be great too! You and Fuzzy really have a great ping pong going!

I like the dueling poses and the story is very wellwritten too.

Approval from Corrington!