Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

[OL- FB1] The Temple Courtyard

Most foreigners think of Oleon's temples as dark, mysterious places built for solemn ceremonies and ancient rituals. Nothing could be further from the truth. Almost every joyous occasion in an Oleander's life, from birth to coming of age and marriage is celebrated within these sacred halls. Even minor successes, such as a recovery from illness or safe arrival following a long voyage brings Oleanders to temples, which makes the temples more than just a place of worship. They are a focal point in many cities, places where friends and acquaintances meet, either by appointment or chance.

As such, Captain Anthony Genaro was not overly surprised when, while walking through the courtyard of Breshaun's main temple, he heard a voice cry out "Captain, Captain Genaro!" Turning, Genaro saw what most landsmen would call a landshark, a fellow who preys on the ignorant sailor, but to Genaro he was simply Mister Harold Kimber, a bright entrepreneur with a mining method that could extract silver seemingly out of thin air. "Give you joy on a successful voyage" exclaimed Harold Kimber, "and give you even greater joy on your mine." "Thank you Mr. Kimber," replied Genaro "but what is this about the mine? I thought I departed without signing all the necessary papers?" Kimber looked startled "did you not get my message, no, of course not, the hurricane must have blown the mail ships off course. No, well, what I wrote in the letter is that your friend, Captain Leon, put up your portion of the investment. He was thoroughly convinced that you'll pay him back, and when he heard the we struck silver, he insisted that we not forget you." At this, Genaro gave a hearty laugh and silently reminded himself to buy a good brandy, Leon's favorite drink.

After a moment of silent reflection on his new found luck, Genaro turned to Kimber and asked "and how much have you extracted so far?" At this, Kimber became uneasy. "All the equipment, the tunnels, and the buildings are in place, but we can't actually sell the ore just yet. You see, we've had some trouble obtaining a license, someone in the administration is convinced I'm a thieving rake, a landshark even, while Captain Leon would hardly do, given the incident between him and the assistant governor in Breshaun." Of course, thought Genaro to himself, smiling as he remembered the event. "But we were hoping a man of your influence could succeed in getting the license in no time." "Certainly," cried Genaro "there isn't a moment to loose, I'll go to the offices directly and demand the license, after all, we have paid for it, and I'll be darned if some blasted civilian, some administrator is going to stand between me and my fortune!"

Overview

25890957885_40ea6bcd9e_z.jpgAt the Temple by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Captain Genaro conversing with Harold Kimber as several temple priests walk in front of them.

25770650952_5fea1d2228_z.jpgAt the Temple by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Several gentlemen discuss important matters while a gardener and two sailors can be seen in the background.

25892468265_7217d1c5e2_z.jpgAt the Temple by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Clearly this young lad has more pressing matters to attend to.

25258335424_cf7c4fb61f_z.jpgAt the Temple by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I do apologize for the poor quality of the overview photo. I was in a rush and did not notice how poorly it turned out until I was uploading it.

As always, comments and criticism are welcome pirate_classic.gif.

Edited by Captain Genaro

This is really awesome! :pir-wub:

Great work Captain. I love all the great detail in this MOC. :thumbup:

Excellent build and very nice story Captain G, the cleanness of the streets is a credit to the country, and the pools, flowers, and temple front are great as well! pirate_wink.gif:thumbup: Great job with the minifig activity too, a good group of figs is always a bonus!

The overview (as you mentioned) isn't the best though, you really need to get yourself a large sheet of glossed paper! pirate_satisfied.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

Well, I would certainly like to see slightly better pictures because what you've done is clearly excellent. I like the fact that there is a real developed story supporting it and overall think it is great.

Really cool build!

I like all the water, and the temple itself is great, I especially like it's roof! Good job

Very nice build, the water sections and the flowers really make this look like a pleasant scene!

The tiles on the back wall give me a distinct greek/turkish bath vibe. I always viewed religion as something dark and sinister. Your build gives another impression. My only question is why does the chief cleric, carrying a stick (punishable by stick, anyone?), need two (2) bodygueards?

Great build, really does look like a temple and like Oleon. I really like that you picked up that aspect of Oleon culture and shaped it.

Very nice build. The pools of water and flower garden give it a very serene scene. :classic:

Great rendition of this vital place in Breshaun! I like the busy feeling with all the minifigs :classic:

Excellent MOC, depicting an everyday life scene of our nation. Feel free to be embraced by the beauty and serenity of our temples and speak to our priest about calmness of mind and clarity of thinking. On the build, i really like the roof, the wall tiling, the water, the flowers and the multitude of minifigs that really make this moc shine!

Great job as always Cpt!

The overview (as you mentioned) isn't the best though, you really need to get yourself a large sheet of glossed paper! :pir-sweet::pir-grin:

Thank you for your comment and the advice. I'll have to pick some up this week.

Nice crisp and clean build, showing an idyllic scene.

Almost makes me what to find out more about Oleonais religion :)

I'm sure there will be more religious builds in the future (of course, we can't reveal everything to you foreigners, but it should give you some insight).

Well, I would certainly like to see slightly better pictures because what you've done is clearly excellent. I like the fact that there is a real developed story supporting it and overall think it is great.

I'll try to take some better overview pictures later this week.

Really cool build!

I like all the water, and the temple itself is great, I especially like it's roof! Good job

Thank you. The roof was inspired by numerous other builds on this forum, and I think the style works great.

Very nice build, the water sections and the flowers really make this look like a pleasant scene!

That's the goal; show the pleasant side of Oleon's misunderstood religion.

Fine scene, captain!

Thank you.

The tiles on the back wall give me a distinct greek/turkish bath vibe. I always viewed religion as something dark and sinister. Your build gives another impression. My only question is why does the chief cleric, carrying a stick (punishable by stick, anyone?), need two (2) bodygueards?

That would be the head priest followed by two subordinates, not bodyguards. There are two temple guards on the arcade along with another priest. As for the staff, well, just be glad he's not carrying a

:pir-laugh:.

Temple guards and a priest.

25770544432_4406168595.jpgAt the Temple by Capt. Genaro, on Flickr

Great build, really does look like a temple and like Oleon. I really like that you picked up that aspect of Oleon culture and shaped it.

Thank you. Religion is an underdeveloped part of Oleon, and I hope some other builders also take a stab at developing it.

This is really awesome! pirate_wubnew.gif

Great work Captain. I love all the great detail in this MOC. thumbup.gif

Very kind, thank you.

Very nice build. The pools of water and flower garden give it a very serene scene. default_classic.gif

That's what I was going for. Glad you like it.

Great rendition of this vital place in Breshaun! I like the busy feeling with all the minifigs default_classic.gif

I enjoy making busy scenes, and I'm glad that you enjoy them as well.

Excellent MOC, depicting an everyday life scene of our nation. Feel free to be embraced by the beauty and serenity of our temples and speak to our priest about calmness of mind and clarity of thinking. On the build, i really like the roof, the wall tiling, the water, the flowers and the multitude of minifigs that really make this moc shine!

Great job as always Cpt!

Exactly, people need to learn that Oleon's religion is more than just burning people at the stake or threatening them with comfy chairs.

Lovely little scene, Captain. :pir-wub:

The building facade with the porch, statues, and wall decorations is nice but the baths and small gardens are what make this so special. It takes so much more effort as a builder to have lowered/depressed sections like that and it looks great. The tiled floor surfaces and the water both look nice. The collection of minifigs is excellent, and I must congratulate you for using two appropriately-dressed women from the Pirates theme (and in proper colors as well!) Good work. :classic:

Comfy chairs? Soft pillows? :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol:

Edited by Captain Dee

Sorry to be late to the temple festivities.

CG, this is a splendid rendition of the true face of religion celebrated in Oleon (and probably anywhere in Halos) . It's about life and traditional values, a heritage obliging all Oleanders to strive for peace, and cherrish all Gods' creations. It's never something sinister, never about death. Thank you for clearing this up thumbup.gif

The build itself is just lovely, the colors work out well, all is very neat. This basically 'screams' serenity default_blush.gif

I'm not religious myself, but this almost makes me want to go there (or send Hawksbrugh there at least!). Great build, lovely atmosphere and fun story.

Beautiful temple, I really like the blue detailing. And that water looks great. Looks like a peaceful scene, very idyllic.

Great temple !

Even if I didn't think an Oleon temple could be dark and sad I think your build is brilliant and better from what I thought is a temple !

So congrats, good work !