M2m

[MOC] Aliens APC

Inspired by various sources on the internet / flickr who build this in lego already I created a LDD version of the APC.

I added an Ackermann steering in the back. And it should have some play-ability as you can move Lieutenant Gorman's chair, steer the wheels, adjust the seats safety bars.

Comments welcome :)

b5cc132.png

af26f64.png

e35b529.png

0cc2975.png

I like it! Nice detailing all around. And good job on the automatic turret. The steering is a great addition. Would love to see it built in real some day.

Great steering! I hadn't ever heard of that design before, will keep this in mind for future projects.

Awesome APC!

Nice job. The rear wheel steering is a great addition.The gun rails need a bit more work (the front attachment is normally 2 studs further forward). Great work overall.

Looks great! Would love to see it work in real life. 99% of what I build starts in LDD, but when I get around to building it for real, 99% of them change. Sometimes, it's just something that doesn't look proportionally right-on in 3D stereo-vision, sometimes it's non-existent parts, or just a physically impossible build. This looks like a solid design that'll work from LDD-to-real-brick with no problems. Good job!

Happy to see people building clever steering rigs because I'm too lazy to do it haha

I would just use some pins with ballheads and call it a day because I like adding removable brick-built engines to my vehicles. Your build looks greebly enough to serve both purposes I think.

Plus, ALIIEENNSSSS!!!! lol

Thanks for all the feedback !

For the weird gun rails - I kind of adjusted it, but its an issue which I can't figure out in LDD, as it it seems that the Flex Rod 32199 can't be connect to Double Snap 47973, which works in real. But can't get it done in LDD.

Anyway I made some changes. I "upgraded" the guns to to Mini Shooter Parts, which may be aesthetically worse, but should be nice for playing (and shooting Aliens :tongue: ).

I also added a steering part at the back to control the wheel - https://vid.me/X0nw

462e57f.png

c72e156.png

0609a73.png

7ebdbc3.png

APC07b.lxf

Edited by M2m

Great job. Love the steering control - great play feature. And you're right about the stud shooters: that's exactly what TLG would do if they made an APC set :). I spent quite alot of time working on the nose of my version- trying to make it shorter and smoother to match the movie version. In the end I got rid of Larry's half-stud offset plinth to make a smooth taper to the nose. Also, if you look closely at the movie version, the tail ends immediately in line with the back edge of the wheels - unlike Larry's which sticks out by one stud - but that would clash with your steerable wheels so probably best to leave it as is. And if you really want to get technical: the roof lamp is actually closer to the centre line and should have an angled grill plate in front of it :)

Edited by Missing Brick