So, I have recently discovered the magic of Bionicle Gen1, and I've been wanting to get some of the Gen1 sets on Bricklink. So, I need some advice. Which characters are the best to enter the world of Mata Nui?

Someone already suggested the Toa Mata or Metru. But I would like some input.

The Brick King

Many of 2001 sets are legendary, and despite somewhat lacking poseability most of them are very coherent designs; I'd recommend every Toa Mata as they aren't that expensive if used sets are fine to you. Some of the rahi are great too - Boxing with Tarakavas was big part pf my childhood, so grab them if you find them for cheap and have someone to box with...

I'd also grab one of Bohrok/Bohrok-kal; their design is awesome, but the are clone sets, so don't be bothered colleting all of them. On more recent sets I'd recommend Toa Hagah, Keetongu, Lhikan&Kikanalo, some of the Barraki (Takadox is must-have) and probably Jaller Mahri.

Many of 2001 sets are legendary, and despite somewhat lacking poseability most of them are very coherent designs; I'd recommend every Toa Mata as they aren't that expensive if used sets are fine to you. Some of the rahi are great too - Boxing with Tarakavas was big part pf my childhood, so grab them if you find them for cheap and have someone to box with...

I'd also grab one of Bohrok/Bohrok-kal; their design is awesome, but the are clone sets, so don't be bothered colleting all of them. On more recent sets I'd recommend Toa Hagah, Keetongu, Lhikan&Kikanalo, some of the Barraki (Takadox is must-have) and probably Jaller Mahri.

Wow. Thanks. I'll have to make a 'to buy' list, apparently.

For my first sets, I was looking at a deal with Pohatu and Tahu.

The 2003 Makuta set definitely

As for others I can reccomend based on ones I bought

Brutaka, Nidhiki, Any of the Toa Metru, Vezon and Fenrakk, Toa Mata Nui

If you plan on buying any set after 2007 try to get it sealed in box/canister. All socket joints after 2007 became more brittle. Same goes with any sets with lime socket joints pre 2008

Edited by Takanuinuva

Also, could you tell me what a 'clone set' is?

Also, could you tell me what a 'clone set' is?

Clone sets are pretty much a wave of sets...that look exactly the same, except might have small differing variations in weaponry, colours, masks, or other features. So the Bohrok are clone sets, so are the Rahkshi, Toa Metru...pretty much most of Bionicle with the exception of maybe 2007 sets, which to me at least looked very different from one another. 2008 as well. Past 2008, I don't know. As for suggested sets, my first ever sets that got me into Bionicle were Tahnok and Lerahk, a bohrok and a rahkshi. I'd pretty much recommend getting those two (of course, if you have a different colour preference...the beauty of clone sets is you can pick from other colours), as well as maybe one of the Toa Nuva (I'll say...Pohatu or Tahu Nuva), and Nokama of the Toa Metru. For titans, Brutaka and Hydraxon.

Clone sets are pretty much a wave of sets...that look exactly the same, except might have small differing variations in weaponry, colours, masks, or other features. So the Bohrok are clone sets, so are the Rahkshi, Toa Metru...pretty much most of Bionicle with the exception of maybe 2007 sets, which to me at least looked very different from one another. 2008 as well. Past 2008, I don't know. As for suggested sets, my first ever sets that got me into Bionicle were Tahnok and Lerahk, a bohrok and a rahkshi. I'd pretty much recommend getting those two (of course, if you have a different colour preference...the beauty of clone sets is you can pick from other colours), as well as maybe one of the Toa Nuva (I'll say...Pohatu or Tahu Nuva), and Nokama of the Toa Metru. For titans, Brutaka and Hydraxon.

Thanks for explaining.

Yes looking at my collection I got as a kid here are some recommendations:

Toa Mata- Classic characters. The build is really bland by modern standards; and they don't do much; but their design is ascetically pleasing. Honestly it is fun to compare them to the current 2015 Toa sets because it is obvious the designers in 2015 mimicked the 2001 designs. The Toa Nuva from 2002 are basically identical to the Toa Mata with a few small upgrades to their build and tools.

Bohrok- Fun, some cool play features; but also a basic build. I own 6 Bohrok and 2 Bohrok Kal in different colors. One option for collecting though might be to buy 8 Bohrok of the same color to form a "swarm."

Toa Metru- Decent build; but unfortunately almost the same among the six figures. Still, this was the year that Bionicle had a "cyber-punk" feel to it, and the Metru are very sleek and futuristic. With them is also the option of buying the Lihkan & Kikanahlo set of 2004, and the Toa Norik and Iruni sets of 2005 which follow the same design; but with metallic like parts.

Toa Hordika- Pass on these; they offered little to the line other than some cool parts.

Piraka- Cool builds; but I have a lot of hairline fractures in the joints of these figures; so beware. The titan set; Vezon & Fenrahk is ridiculously cool and might be my favorite Gen 1 set that I got as a kid!

Toa Inika- Clone designs; kind of flat... But they are a cool team. This is when Bionicle became, emo? They have great articulation that has only been surpassed by the 2015 sets.

Barrahki- They are all unique, but share the hairline fracturing problem of the Piraka and Inika era. This is when I lost interest in G1 as a kid so I can't tell you anything about later releases.

The Toa Mata, as everybody has already told you, were an iconic team and worth collecting. I'd also say to buy all six Barraki along with Nocturn, as they were my favourite line and are all different.

I've always thought that the fun came in the bigger sets however: the Tarakava, 2003 Makuta, Nidhiki, Lhikan & Kikanalo, Brutaka, Umbra, Vezon & Fenrahk and Maxilos & Spinax are the ones I'd recommend the most.