Jim

Potential Questions for LEGO Designers

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Can I have the prototypes that you throw away?! :grin: 

That actually my first question :tongue:

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

That actually my first question :tongue:

Same, I would totally take those off their hands :wink:.

POWER FUNCTIONS

Shouldn't TLG create an updated 2.4Ghz system with a better power source and motors?

That would be cool, but will most likely not happen:

-any kind of wireless system would cause problems with interference, compliance etc...

-some protocols require additional licensing

-longer range systems could cause problems with interfering with other units (imagine some dense poplated area or apartment building on christmas morning)

1) A lot of equipment uses the ISM Band, like Car Remotes, Garage Doors, even USB 3 seems to emit noise into the ISM-Band. However, senders and trasmitters can be built to reduce or mostly ignore interference, by i.e. channel hopping or other measures like simple filters.

2) There is a spectrum of the 2.4GHz Band which is completely license free

3) See No. 1)

What I would see as the biggest problem are the different classifications and standards in regard to the ISM (or 2.4GHz) Band across countries. These can be a pain to adhere to, globally seen.

In stark contrast, you're almost completely free to do with IR what you deem fit.

I do have two particular questions pertaining to Technic that I hope could be asked someday:

• While the Technic theme has primarily focused upon real-life source material, have there ever been any recent exploration into developing sets based upon more, say, fantastic source material? For instance, would sets based upon a sci-fi inspired moon buggy or Mars exploration vehicle ever be or have been considered? What about inspirational source material cited from the Mecha and Steampunk genres, particularly for instance? 
  • Have licensed properties besides automobile brands ever been considered in more recent history as source material for sets? For instance, would something like, say, a Technic Batmobile ever happen; and if so, would it be branded under the Technic theme, or the licensed theme that already exists for the property?

1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

While the Technic theme has primarily focused upon real-life source material, have there ever been any recent exploration into developing sets based upon more, say, fantastic source material? For instance, would sets based upon a sci-fi inspired moon buggy or Mars exploration vehicle ever be or have been considered? What about inspirational source material cited from the Mecha and Steampunk genres, particularly for instance?

Well, the people at TLG seem to think that the 42070 tow truck's B model is some kind of moon rover, so I'd say probably, leaning towards yes. :laugh:

Why they do linkeage steering(Mack for ex) instead rack and pinion? Is that cooler or something? 

29 minutes ago, IA creations said:

Why they do linkeage steering(Mack for ex) instead rack and pinion? Is that cooler or something? 

The main reason is because it makes the steering pivot point more realistic so there you can turn more tightly.

its also more compact if the HOG knob is on the roof of the vehicle because then the HOG axle is on the same axis.

Can you please ask the Technic designers why it is that sets in interesting colors seem to deliberately cut back on piece counts in those colors? I have noticed this in many sets, but the new 42080 forest harvester is again a sign of this. Eight lime pieces in the whole set. Why so stingy? (Yes, I know there's green too, which is cool. But why then not just build a green model? Why is it green plus a bunch of other colors?) (Same goes for the forklift and dark-blue by the way, but I haven't counted that yet). I mean, compare with that nice crane 42082. Why can't we have that in dark purple?

Just to prove I'm not talking nonsense, here's some other sets also guilty of this:

• (8,5%): 42059 (stunt truck): 12 out of 142 medium-azure
  • (4,5%): 42063 (BMW bike): 27 out of 603 blue
  • (2,2%): 42064 (ocean explorer): 29 out of 1327 dark-blue
  • (4,7%): 42066 (jet): 54 out of 1151 medium-blue
  • (1,5%): 42069 (extreme adventure): 36 out of 2382 dark-purple
  • (3,0%): 42070 (4x4): 56 out of 1862 dark azure
  • (3,2%): 42065 (tracked racer): 12 out of 370 lime
  • (4,1%): 42048 (go kart): 14 out of 345 orange
  • (2,8%): 42050 (funny car): 18 out of 647 medium azure
  • (3,9%): 42054 (Claas): 77 out of 1976 lime
  • (3,7%): 42036 (street bike): 14 out of 375 medium-blue
  • (5,1%): 42037 (buggy): 25 out of 494 lime and medium blue

As a comparison with common colors:

• (17,3%) 42075 (first responder): 89 out of 513 red
  • (16,8%) 42049 (mine loader): 80 out of 476 yellow
  • (9,9%) 42042 (crawler crane): 139 out of 1400 blue
  • (10,1%) 42056 (Porsche): 274 out of 2704 orange (see, they can do it if they want!)

(of course, not counting axles and pins and stuff.)

It's cool to get new colors, of course, but how're we supposed to build our own stuff in those cool new colors if there are no sets providing the parts?

What I wonder is whether sets are designed with MOCing in mind. If so, this decision to deliberately keep part counts down in nice colors (this is too often to be coincidence, really) actively works against that goal.

Maybe to get any chance of an answer, you might want to rephrase the question to what purpose they design their sets for: play with the sets, display the sets, build the sets, or build new things with the pieces, and how it affects their designs. But if you ask a question this generic, you'd probably also get a generic answer, hence carrying little new information...

Sorry for the rant, but if you get the chance, this is something I'd really like to know from them.

Edited by Erik Leppen

How are kids and/or adults selected for test groups? Are they randomly selected, or are they perhaps selected by survey/questionnaire?

do they have carpet/rugs under where they work so when a pin or something drops it doesn't make that stressful annoying sound like it does when bouncing around on hardwood floors :angry:

@Erik Leppen isn’t it just a simple matter of storage and thus costs? If TLG needs to recolor some of the other parts, instead of panels, they will need a lot more space in their warehouse, right?

@Jim I remember it was mentioned in an interview, that color choice is basically on designer. I assume they have some constrains though... :classic: 

But @Erik Leppen's questions raised one to me: Does TLG consider part colors compatibility in general (thinking on audience in MOCs and MODs) during the design process - just like they do in part shape designs, or do they consider each set as standalone set where only limitation is TLG's own production batches, storing space (combining more sets with same part usage for more effective production & logistics)?

I hope my question can be followed. :classic:

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, Jim said:

@Erik Leppen isn’t it just a simple matter of storage and thus costs? If TLG needs to recolor some of the other parts, instead of panels, they will need a lot more space in their warehouse, right?

Not if they'd chosen to release one or two colors less. Sure, bright green is cool now we have it, but we haven't seen it yet in any other Technic set and nobody would have missed it if it weren't there, so those 11 pieces could have been saved to be used to fill out the parts availability of another color.

The same argument holds for medium azure and dark azure. They should have picked one, and stuck with it. Instead of 10 parts in this color and 20 parts in that color, we could have had 30 parts in a cool new bright blue color. (But until medium azure returns, I think they have already considered medium azure a mistake and switched to dark azure.)

Edited by Erik Leppen

Agreed :thumbup: 

@agrof The Technic team is not available this time, so I don’t get to ask.

8880 CV joint was the most realistic hub design, why did they never made something like that afterwards?

Today suspension  designs are mostly based on same part as 8860. Isn't due a better adjustable or dampened part?  Kind of the hybrids people make with pneumatic cylinders  for example.

The Porsche and the Chiron are sleek, beautiful works, however 8860/8880 are superior in many aspects even being kind of raw. Is there a market today for a "back to the basics/just the technics" model today?

Probably 99% of the thecnic models use a combustion engine. Did TLG consider releasing a fully detailed combustion engine ever?

Lego 8455 -penumatic backhoe- is a pneumatic marvel) any specific reason we never got another set so focused on pneumatics?

Air tank, why so rare?

'why not get the maximum out of parts or models?' For example the wheel hubs, why not make it so it has less freeplay?'

'or model example, with the Arocs they build a new part to extend the crane arm, but when making also a new pneumatic cilinder they made it for some reason 2 studs to short

I've asked this elsewhere yesterday with no response, but, is TLG hosting their Fan Media Days event in Billund at all this year? :shrug_confused:

Typically taking place at the end of May during previous years, many of the AFOL media/news outlets that have attended in the past (Brickset, New ElementaryPromoBricks, ZusammengebautBeyond the Brick, etc.) haven't said a thing about the event as the end of the month approaches... :def_shrug:

1 hour ago, dmcc0 said:

@Digger of Bricks There was a post on the Brickset Website and Forums a few days ago asking for questions to ask, so seems it is going ahead.

Yeah, I only found that out quite shortly after inquiring about such here (plus, The Brothers Brick blog is also inviting questions to ask at the event). :facepalm:

Edited by Digger of Bricks