Sign in to follow this  
soccerkid6

AoM: Gatehouse Phase 3: Bodiam Castle

Here's my build for the third Gatehouse Phase, it is an 'old' build, in that I built it late last year, but I thought it was worth saving it to use as the final gatehouse phase, as I'm really proud of it. This is my first Castle model entirely based off of a real castle: Bodiam Castle in England. I built only the front wall, and it isn’t scaled perfectly, but I think it’s close enough to be quite recognizeable. Also I changed the bridge layout, because of space limitations.

See a picture of the real Bodiam castle here: Link

There’s no interior this time, though the portcullis and main doors are functional.

Fun fact(s): this build weighed over 17 pounds, and used more bley tiles than any of my previous MOCs.

Bodiam castle rests on a lake in southern Mitgardia, and is well known for its impressive round towers, and large gatehouse:

low-10.jpg

left-38.jpg

right-35.jpg

back-59.jpg

bridge-3.jpg

See more pictures, here.

Thanks for looking :classic:

Oh, gods...

Altough I liked Nordheim Keep even more, I'm speechless...

Very nice castle SK, the round towers are a highlight but the rest of the building is really good as well. Great rendition of those tiny slits at the bottom with the upside-down arches! :thumbup:

Beautiful build! Fits well in the GoH realm too. I like the simplistic contrast between the castle and the water :thumbup:

I love the aesthetics and texturing! It's not often that I see a build modelled after a real castle, and this is probably the best I've ever seen :thumbup:

It looks just like the picture, well done! and how many bley bricks are this 0_o

Damn. This is a castle that's near where I grew up, so I've fond memories of it- and it's fantastic to see it rendered so beautifully in Lego form!

Now that is definitely more impressivee than phase 2. The tiles look great as texture. But the detail I like the most is the window on the back with the two 1x3 arches. That's really somethingcI will remember.

Wow, that's an imposing castle front!

I like the shapes you've accomplished a lot :classic:

Some nitpicking is that I think somehow the tiled walls look "too clean" and with a bit too pronounced 2x2 patterns, maybe some 1x2 plates with studs out or something else would have given a tad more texture and broken up the patterns a bit?

Oh, gods...

Altough I liked Nordheim Keep even more, I'm speechless...

Thanks Titus :sweet: I too probably prefer Nordheim Keep slightly, but this is still one of my favorite builds ever.

Wow, very nice :) Think you got the similarities down really well. Great job :classic:

Thanks Full Plate!

Beautiful texturing SK.... lovely moc!

Thanks Gunman :grin:

Very nice castle SK, the round towers are a highlight but the rest of the building is really good as well. Great rendition of those tiny slits at the bottom with the upside-down arches! :thumbup:

Thanks Kai! Glad to hear you mention those slits, I think you're the first to comment on them, and they were one of my favorite designs in the build.

Beautiful build! Fits well in the GoH realm too. I like the simplistic contrast between the castle and the water :thumbup:

Thank you :classic:

I remember this build, good call using it as phase 3. Great work.

Thanks Blufji!

Wow wow wow!

How many grey bricks do you have?

Do you disassemble your MOCs after you've published them?

Anyway: Amazing Work!

I've amassed a considerable amount of bley over the years, but this build used most of it. And I always disassemble builds and recycle the parts into new creations ,though this particular MOC was kept together for over a month.

I love the aesthetics and texturing! It's not often that I see a build modelled after a real castle, and this is probably the best I've ever seen :thumbup:

Thanks!

It looks just like the picture, well done! and how many bley bricks are this 0_o

Thank you, and I'm not sure how many parts exactly, but in bley 2x2 tiles alone there were a couple large PaB cups full.

That's awesome! Looks just like the real thing!

Thanks!

Damn. This is a castle that's near where I grew up, so I've fond memories of it- and it's fantastic to see it rendered so beautifully in Lego form!

Thanks LV :sweet:

Now that is definitely more impressivee than phase 2. The tiles look great as texture. But the detail I like the most is the window on the back with the two 1x3 arches. That's really somethingcI will remember.

Thanks Jacob, I love those 1x3 arches.

Nice rocky gate! loved the bridge!

Thank you :classic:

Wow, that's an imposing castle front!

I like the shapes you've accomplished a lot :classic:

Some nitpicking is that I think somehow the tiled walls look "too clean" and with a bit too pronounced 2x2 patterns, maybe some 1x2 plates with studs out or something else would have given a tad more texture and broken up the patterns a bit?

Thanks Gideon, I rather like the more regular stone look, but some studs left exposed might improve it, and would definitely help save on tiles :laugh:

Wonderful gatehouse, Isaac! The various window designs are all superb and I really like the three shields above the gateway :thumbup:

Jaw dropping, an instant favorite. You have obviously perfected the technique to build those walls and it just shines here. I had to stare at this one to really appreciate what you've done here. The water is great and I like how it is the only feature of the foreground - anything more would have taken away from that delicious castle. Supreme work!

Edited by MassEditor

Oh yeah now this is very cool. Amazing how you created such a stunning look with pretty much only one color. Very inspiring.

I hadn't commented on this yet? :look::grin:

Excellent castle SK, as MassEditor said, you've pretty much perfected the use of that wall technique here! The 1x3 arches really help break the wall up and add some variation, and I'm with Kai on those lower window-slits! :wink:

My only gripe with the build is that it tends for some reason to look a bit flat in some of the pics (particularly the first one here), but with the size it already is I'm sure it would be quite difficult to add some more to the sides! My collection of light grey would certainly be quite expended by that time (that's an understatement, actually! :grin::tongue:)

Great job on this one, and you've really set a high bar for phase three gatehouses!