We've discussed / ranted about the scarcity of non-vehicle sets and MOCs in the LEGO Technic world before, but today I'd like to collect pointers to them.

I don't intend to build a formal index thread, but I'd be super happy if we come up with a good enough collection that makes this thread worth listing among the Notable Topics.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, think about kids who are interested in mechanisms and gears and moving parts and so on, but tend to find vehicles boring. They see something with wheels or tracks or even wings or rotors and think "oh that just goes around but doesn't do anything interesting". They'd be more interested in "working" contraptions like loom, braiding machines, kitchen blenders, egg beaters... motorized or not.

Older kids may be captivated by Mindstorms creations like those (mind bogging) from Hknssn, but younger ones may be intimidated by their complexity and the need to program them, and prefer instead mechanical contraptions without a brain. That's why I'm not initially interested in Mindstorms creation here, even though they are often the best non-vehicle creations :innocent2:

So with that in mind, I went searched around and found mostly Nico71's creations and very few from others. Could you please help me find more?

Lego_Amida_PegasusAutomaton_01.jpg

1426131193m_DISPLAY.jpg

sisyphusMain-1024x641.jpg

p1380308_.jpg

DSCF7452.JPG

DSCF5601.JPG

MOC-1076.jpg

01.jpg

11.jpg

Orrery_02.JPG

w1.jpg

14228315110_eb90fc1652.jpg

1417630027m_SPLASH.jpg

I'd be happy to see even silly funny builds like my own

. So long as it sparkles a child's curiosity about the mechanics of it :classic:

Most/all of these have appeared in Eurobricks, but I'd also be happy to see creations coming from other communities or lone builders!

Thanks!

EDIT #1: added photos from some of the above MOCs. And a paragraph about Mindstorms.

EDIT #2: add suggestions from comments #5, #7.

EDIT #3: add suggestion from comment #13.

PS: Looking through the Reviews by year, the latest official set that isn't a vehicle was the tiny 1237 Asimo Robot back in 2001.

Edited by miguev

Good Initiative. I think to make the thread a bit more appealing, I'd add photos of the various MOCs ... some of us get lazy and do not want to click through multiple hot-links.

Nicjasno's working lego pneumatic engines (lpe).

While they contain modified cylinders and switches, they can work with non-modified ones.

We've discussed / ranted about the scarcity of non-vehicle sets and MOCs in the LEGO Technic world before, but today I'd like to collect pointers to them.

I don't intend to build a formal index thread, but I'd be super happy if we come up with a good enough collection that makes this thread worth listing among the Notable Topics.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, think about kids who are interested in mechanisms and gears and moving parts and so on, but tend to find vehicles boring. They see something with wheels or tracks or even wings or rotors and think "oh that just goes around but doesn't do anything interesting". They'd be more interested in "working" contraptions like loom, braiding machines, kitchen blenders, egg beaters... motorized or not.o

I'd be happy to see even silly funny builds like my own

. So long as it sparkles a child's curiosity about the mechanics of it :classic:

Most/all of these have appeared in Eurobricks, but I'd also be happy to see creations coming from other communities or lone builders!

Thanks!

PS: Looking through the Reviews by year, the latest official set that isn't a vehicle was the tiny 1237 Asimo Robot back in 2001.

Miguev,

A few suggestions (I haven't got the EB post numbers so you will have to use the index):

Toutehomme's (Jason Alleman's) Galloping horse, Sisyphus and many others, including his new Lego Ideas Maze.

John

ISOGAWAYoshito made quite a few which he uploads videos of onto YouTube:

;
;
;
;
and many more equally werird and bizzare contraptions. He also makes some quite good, unique vehicles

Nicjasno's working lego pneumatic engines (lpe).

While they contain modified cylinders and switches, they can work with non-modified ones.

They are great, but from the a kid's perspective I'm not sure they'd click. Apart from being big, expensive and hard to build (need to modify parts), they are essentially bigger motors for bigger vehicles. I love them, but I'd expect a kid who is bored by vehicles to be rather quickly bored about these too :sceptic:

Good Initiative. I think to make the thread a bit more appealing, I'd add photos of the various MOCs ... some of us get lazy and do not want to click through multiple hot-links.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've added a few photos, in the order they are mentioned in the list, in case that helps.

ISOGAWAYoshito made quite a few which he uploads videos of onto YouTube:

;
;
;
;
and many more equally werird and bizzare contraptions. He also makes some quite good, unique vehicles

Thanks! Added some of these.

Some silly stuff:

I'd rather let kids develop their own feelings towards Jar Jar :innocent2:

Toutehomme's (Jason Alleman's) Galloping horse, Sisyphus and many others, including his new Lego Ideas Maze.

Thanks! Found and added them.

Thanks, added. I was close to adding your Dalek, but as much as I love it I'm afraid it would qualify as vehicle.

Thanks for including my animals. There are still some out there and one more in WIP phase.

Do gearboxes, autovalves, axles and such count?

Some silly stuff:

While not silly, certainly not anything huge or great. But a while back I built an attachment on top of a TV mount all out of Technic. No glue, nothing.... all technic (other than the mount itself). Held a 3500 piece rendition of my own of the Millennium Falcon on the wall with no problem (my old office, off to the left).

14125059881_DISPLAY.jpg

14125065471_DISPLAY.jpg

Also..... and this one IS kinda silly looking.......I build this light stand to help out with some photos. Believe it or not Lego PF lights, along with some third party lights can actually create some cool photos....

1442762384m_SPLASH.jpg

14427643751_SPLASH.jpg

14427623884_SPLASH.jpg

Thanks for including my animals. There are still some out there and one more in WIP phase.

Do gearboxes, autovalves, axles and such count?

Can't wait to see more :)

While not vehicles by themselves, I have the impression that parts of vehicles can be similarly unappealing to kids who are not into vehicles.

I think they'd be more likely captivated by something "complete", rather than a part of something bigger.

Amida's pegasus.

Added. Thanks!

I did a Summer Sun with pictures and

Also an ongoing BB-8 droid with project, pictures and

. I would value your support for this as a potential Technic kit with similar price point and level of functionality as the Volvo Loader 42030.

Mark

I've built several animals out of Technic sets:

Wasp built out of set 8048 that flaps wings when its abdomen is being turned:

8048_model_6-1-wasp.jpg

Rabbit built out of 8048 that lifts its head and front legs up when you press its tail:

8048_model_7-1-rabbit.jpg

Tyrannosaur built out of set 8048 that can just open maw:

8048_model_8-6-tyrannosaur.jpg

Dog built out of set 8067. You can lift its leg easily by turning his tail and then let him wee at nearest corner:

8067_model_1-0-dog.jpg

Red shark built out of set 9394 that is moving its tail and opening maw when it is moved around:

9394-1-2-shark.jpg

Edited by Tomik

Some non-vehicle technic MOCs with cool mechanisms that I was impressed by:

Vuurzoon's Lego Windmill 't Nupke:

Grohl666's Lego Technic Kinetic Horse Sculpture:

Jack Streat's guns and others like it. Though not suitable for small children. But the mechanisms sure are pretty cool.

Thanks! I can't believe I had forgotten about that devil's face, one of my favorites :laugh: