Meatcan

[MOC] [LDD -WIP] C1-10P "CHOPPER" UCS

I want to make a Chopper that is in the same style as the R2-D2 UCS. Here are some pictures of the head I have constructed. Let me know what you think.

NwjdfgR.png

8OuWoMs.png

7TrxsuN.png

EX7Gy12.png

nzlTG0T.png

Keep in mind that it is based on this style:

Oq6BmTk.jpg

PS: the holes in the side of the head are going the be an opening for his arms.

It's a good start. I would suggest using rounded plates instead of the wedge plates on the top. the only thing I am not a fan of is where the eye pieces are, there's too many studs. try tiling it, or use the technique they used on R2's head, where they just made the bricks slightly angled. other than that, it looks like a good start to a UCS Chopper

It's a good start. I would suggest using rounded plates instead of the wedge plates on the top. the only thing I am not a fan of is where the eye pieces are, there's too many studs. try tiling it, or use the technique they used on R2's head, where they just made the bricks slightly angled. other than that, it looks like a good start to a UCS Chopper

Thanks! And I see what you mean. Less studs around tyhe eyes is my next order of business

sorry for the picture overload, but the head is finished

WhzGAgo.png

7PP4Q4H.png

RXm8VD4.png

JpNTT3T.png

IkHSMdx.pngl

As usual all thoughts and ideas are welcome

I love the fold out arms, they're done really well, and I like the idea/size... but... it is supposed to be a cylindrical cone sort of shape... and I just feel this is more of a square head that tapers in, not a tapered cylinder... I think there is more that could be done to achieve a rounder head.

I tried to make it look more round by fiddling around with the tiers. Bit it's very hard to make it more round than it is but less round than the r2 model and keep the same style. But any tips would be great!

I'll have a play and see what I can come up with to offer something actually productive than a constructive criticism with no method of improvement :laugh:

I'll have a play and see what I can come up with to offer something actually productive than a constructive criticism with no method of improvement :laugh:

Hahaha thanks.I did have a long hard look at the differences between my model en r2 though, and these are my changes:

t2ChJdq.png

9vm0nCL.png

8MB5uMr.png

Do you guys think it looks better?

I agree that it looks a little too square, even after your changes. I think maybe you borrowed to much of the round shape from r2. I think if your layers just decreased in size as they got higher you'd get a more conical shape. I whipped up an example of what I mean.

conical.png

I agree that it looks a little too square, even after your changes. I think maybe you borrowed to much of the round shape from r2. I think if your layers just decreased in size as they got higher you'd get a more conical shape.

Great Tip! Thanks for the visualisation.

Mlyl8ZC.png

JJdSxun.png

gqDCOVV.png

Definitely an improvement (I tried something like this but with hinge bricks, it took forever just to get everything connected!) and along the right track!

I thought of hinges in the beginning as well, but it would be to fragile and it would be a hassle to fill all the gaps it would create. Anyway made some minor changes and ordered the parts so hopefully around this time next week I can have some photographs for everyone.

I like it! Can't wait to see it done. I really like seeing WIPs like this were we can follow along.

As for the head, yes, it is blocky. Have you tried using slopes, to make it appear more round, like this.

chopper.jpg

If you want, I can send you the file for it. I only did the what you see, but, would be happy to help.

I'm not suggesting you do this for the whole head, just maybe on the bottom like I have it. To give a rounder look.

I also used different colors so you can see what I did. SHould be able to figure it out. But, you may have re-work the head to accommodate the bricks with studs on side.

Hope this helps, Jamie

Wow that is a great idea Jamie!I will try to see if I can work it in.But I think because of the interior of the head and the current bricks that it won't fit.On the other hand I am starting the body today and that will work perfect for the torso.

Just thought I keep everyone in the loop, since you have been great help so far:

oOjifOE.png

Sp8zJ2S.png

iV0Y9Hp.png

So it is going to be either white or light grey (like LEGO's minifig), still not sure so I build both. The body still needs to be raised 6-8 studs higher.

Edited by Meatcan

It looks on par with the UCS R2-D2 for the most part. Though what about the gap between head and body or the differing diameters of the two components, is that accurate?

This is one of the pictures I have been working with. There are also other pictures where you can see the difference between the head and the body.xrIa4Bb.jpg