SrChuck

Do you know how many LEGO do you have?

I have more than 100 minifigs, I love it, but I have a problem when I see one that I don't know if I have...

How you can organize your collections? Do you have an Excel or something? :sceptic:

I thinking in made an app to store and query all the minifigs...

There is an app in Itunes (not aware if is also exists for Android) called "Minifigure". It currently tracks 7247 minifigs... It is quite good and you can input your collection and add figures you would like to buy in future. It is a app you have to pay for - but worth it...

I have around 500 pounds (230Kg) and no way am I going to count them. Going by an average of 325 pieces per pound, it is easily in the range of 162,000 pieces give or take several thousands.

I tried once to add my sets on rebrickable and I gave up.

I struggle to segregate my bricks properly as I can't stop buying new pieces, so I don't even think about counting them. It's probably somewhere between 1.5-2 cubic meters of loose lego.

Counting pieces have big disadvantage. You need to count all pieces you have and available pieces, which change every time you build something. So why bother?

There's no need to count individual bricks (unless you're a masochist). Brickset and other programs mentioned exist to count. Or barring that, even volume or weight estimates are interesting.

I hit a milestone this month, getting in the 5 digit range for number of bricks. 82 minifigs and 57 sets(including individual CMFs, polybags etc), totaling approximately 10712 pieces.

Woohoo.

There's no need to count individual bricks (unless you're a masochist). Brickset and other programs mentioned exist to count. Or barring that, even volume or weight estimates are interesting.

I hit a milestone this month, getting in the 5 digit range for number of bricks. 82 minifigs and 57 sets(including individual CMFs, polybags etc), totaling approximately 10712 pieces.

Woohoo.

I disagree - it's immensely convenient to be able to determine exactly the count of a particular element when I'm planning a MOC. It means being able to look at options to substitute if I don't have enough of something, and lets me know what I may need to Bricklink vs what I have on hand.

If you never do MOCs, it doesn't matter, but if you do, it can be enormously helpful.

I have around 300.000 bricks (250.000 in sets and solid amount of bricks bought on Bricklink for Mocing). With latest bigger sets number grows rapidly (this year I plan to purchase GBHQ and all four Technic sets, whic alone will raise tha number for almost 15.000).

The problem is of course space, so I cut on purhasing as much as possible. I have all purchases written down and the "worst" were few years after coming out of dark ages, when I just NEEDED to buy all "missed" sets. There is of course also financial side, bust of those sets are carefully picked to to at least hold heir value (mudulars, UCS, landmarks, big technic), so I consider it like some kind of investment.

I disagree - it's immensely convenient to be able to determine exactly the count of a particular element when I'm planning a MOC. It means being able to look at options to substitute if I don't have enough of something, and lets me know what I may need to Bricklink vs what I have on hand.

If you never do MOCs, it doesn't matter, but if you do, it can be enormously helpful.

Oh come on, It's maybe a good if You build your MOC in LDD first but if You build from head it doesn't really matter. You take a box of yours 1x2bricks and You already see how many pieces are in there, and what can be build from them.

If You want to build something it doesn't really matter how many bricks You have as You have 95% of time use something else instead.

For example your last MOC. You used $htload of slopes but similar mountain can be build using cheese slopes, or even plates.

And You don't need to count all your pieces to know how many slopes in DBG you have. If you segregate your legos It take less then a minute to locate slopes in this color and weight them to know the quantity.

Oh come on, It's maybe a good if You build your MOC in LDD first but if You build from head it doesn't really matter. You take a box of yours 1x2bricks and You already see how many pieces are in there, and what can be build from them.

If You want to build something it doesn't really matter how many bricks You have as You have 95% of time use something else instead.

For example your last MOC. You used $htload of slopes but similar mountain can be build using cheese slopes, or even plates.

And You don't need to count all your pieces to know how many slopes in DBG you have. If you segregate your legos It take less then a minute to locate slopes in this color and weight them to know the quantity.

Well, for something like the mountain, it really wasn't an issue. I knew I had thousands of Dark Bluish Gray slopes, so I just started building. But for smaller architectural details, it can be very useful to know how many of a part I have. Especially for elements I have very few of. To each his own, obviously, but for me, it's been invaluable to know exact counts of individual elements by colour.