Jim

[REVIEW] 21305 - Maze

21305 - Maze - Rating  

80 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

I assume this will be a limited run right? Unlike Wall-E and I think a couple others which are still around.

There's no telling how long it'll be around. Broadly, generally speaking, the licensed CUUSOO / Ideas sets tend to stay around longer than the non-licensed ones, but the latter can go in anywhere from mere days (as with the Curiosity Rover and the Research Institute) to well over a year (as with Hayabusa).

If I had to predict, I'd guess the Maze will be around at least a few months, but that really is just a guess, based on the price.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Thanks for the review. A wooden labyrinth was high on my MOC list 4-5 years ago as I figured how to make the holes and I wanted the challenge to do the tilting mechanics with Technic. Then I happened to make a google image search and realized someone else had done a version in (Reddish) Brown and I totally dropped the idea. I didn't vote for this on Ideas simply becasue I forget to go there regularly, but I definitely want to get this set. I'm a big fan of Jasons other really clever stuff and building it I excpect it will help me add some tricks to my non-technic MOCabilities :laugh:

Based on the photo of the underside, it looks like the 6x6 tile is actually part 10202, rather than the old 6881 version. Thus, it is not quite as rare, but it is more useful.

Based on the photo of the underside, it looks like the 6x6 tile is actually part 10202, rather than the old 6881 version. Thus, it is not quite as rare, but it is more useful.

You are right, I just searched for 6 x 6 tile, but it's indeed this part:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=10202&in=S

I will update the review shortly. Thanks for pointing it out.

A good review of a nice model! I've never had one, but remember hating it when my friends took out their wooden mazes, as I was never any good with it :blush:

This, though...

"One of the limitations of the original wooden toy is that it is always the same. There is no way to make it more or less difficult, or modify the maze to have a different play experience."

...is not altogether correct. Also the wooden ones come with replaceable mazes (no customization, though!).

http://www.pinkorblue.se/brio-labyrint-med-oevningsplattor-34020-a012245.html?adword=Google_PLA_Alle&RefID=SEM_SE0000_PLA&c=aw&gclid=CNvv-dT2x8sCFcYcGwodWL4IwQ

Edited by AndersI

There's no telling how long it'll be around. Broadly, generally speaking, the licensed CUUSOO / Ideas sets tend to stay around longer than the non-licensed ones, but the latter can go in anywhere from mere days (as with the Curiosity Rover and the Research Institute) to well over a year (as with Hayabusa).

If I had to predict, I'd guess the Maze will be around at least a few months, but that really is just a guess, based on the price.

Ah ok. I'm still getting it but I was just wondering cause I'm surprised to see some of the IDEAS sets still in production as I thought they were limited run only but maybe that's based on the set and sales.

I love the size of this. I think after I buy it, if I don't have any lying around my house somewhere, I am gonna buy some marbles to see if they work better on the maze.

Edited by Tech Artist

It should be easier to make a higher end version of this with actual holes and putting the bottom on an incline to draw the ball to a recovery point to put it back in the game. It could also be much larger.

I was actually thinking about trying that, using a 48x48 baseplate. I certainly understand why the official set isn't larger, though, given how many already balk at the price.

Great review and pics. Awesome research on the uncommon parts - it's always interesting to see where else they've appeared.

Overall, this one definitely is not for me. I'm still surprised it made it through approval, as it seems just so limited. I can't find an elegant way of putting it, but I just don't feel like this one pops the way other Cuusoo/Ideas sets have. Reminds me of the Birds set. I just don't know what to do with it.

I just don't know what to do with it.

I'd think that for this set above all other CUUSOO / Ideas sets (and most other sets, for that matter), "what to do with it" would be obvious. :tongue::wink:

I have been waiting for this ever since Jason made the Original! Will definitely have to pick this up! Great Review! ;)

I got this over the weekend for the kids (and their dad) and they had fun assembling it and making other/custom layouts from our stock of lego parts (without having to take a part the original). As for play value, I am not sure it beats an original wooden maze. The main 'issues' are that the ball is 'light' (not heavy), not smooth (indentations of soccer ball), and the surface/track is non-smooth as well. This makes controlling the ball motion rather difficult/imprecise. Being a 'purist', I tried to use heavier balls (bionicle Zamor and EV3 steel ball bearing) but both were wider than 2M and would not fit. Overall ok, but do not expect the experience to match that of a 'real' maze.

I know i'm late to the thread but what a great set...the only thing that really bothered me was the unnumbered bags, but i guess it's kinda nostalgic to have to sort pieces again. as for the tilt issue, i definitely reccommend doing the extra tilt mod the designer posted on his youtube channel ("JKbrickworks"). its a massive improvment, makes the tilt equal in all directions. also there are some crazy mocs on there to check out.

Great review. Unfortunately, I don't think this set is all that good considering it's a lego maze, which in some cases could be amazing, like if it was a minifigure scale, high walled play set. I suppose it's not terrible though, since it is a very intrusting concept, it's  just that if I were to picture a lego maze, it probably wouldn't look like this, nor be a pinball maze- rather a lost minifigure hedge maze. Anyways,I appreciate your time and review.

Edited by The lego fan