BrickOn

[Cor - FB1 March - Ship 2F] The Morning Rose

In his recent visit to Arlinsport, Sir James met his cousin Henry Davenport, a slightly cocky gentleman with a sense of adventure. Henry bored of being idol and longing for high-seas action persuaded a somewhat reluctant Sir James to purchase a boat on his behalf, his chosen investment was a cutter, The Morning Rose.

25699550071_1460ef0203_z.jpgMorningRose, on Flickr

25768883966_bbbd594878_z.jpgMorningRoseBehind, on Flickr

She was well matched to Henry's style, her bleached white decks were fine to look at, but impractical to maintain, as a result her crew spent most of the time scrubbing the decks.

25168340103_e890387ffb_z.jpgMorningRoseScrubbingTheDecks, on Flickr

And just incase you wish to see her underside...

25673713282_b1b324b20c_z.jpgMorningRose'sUnderside, on Flickr

unlike some of my previous attempts at brick built hulls, she is remarkably sturdy and very unlikely to fall to pieces, although she does have a couple holes!

Nice cutter, BrickOn. I think Sir James have made a very sensible investment.

I think the brick built hull turned out pretty well, and I like the whitewashed decks! Ship-shape and Bristol fashion! :pir-blush:

Nice rigging too - the sails are looking really nice. I think the mast might be a little on the short side. Normally, the boom if the mainsail wouldn't overreach the stern of the vessel. So for it to be completely correct, you should either move the mast forwards (and by most definitions turning her into a sloop rig, or shorten the boom. With a higher mast, you could more or less maintain the same sail area by making the mainsail taller. However, on a cutter, the main sail would be smaller than on a sloop, as the sloop relies more on the big mainsail.

With a taller mast you could also add a square topsail, but that is only a suggestion, which is not necessary to make her correct.

The current rigging is still pretty good, though! Well done. :pir-sweet:

A very nice looking cutter, as others have commented, the sails look particularly good!

Thanks for the comments :-)

Nice cutter, BrickOn. I think Sir James have made a very sensible investment.

I think the brick built hull turned out pretty well, and I like the whitewashed decks! Ship-shape and Bristol fashion! :pir-blush:

Nice rigging too - the sails are looking really nice. I think the mast might be a little on the short side. Normally, the boom if the mainsail wouldn't overreach the stern of the vessel. So for it to be completely correct, you should either move the mast forwards (and by most definitions turning her into a sloop rig, or shorten the boom. With a higher mast, you could more or less maintain the same sail area by making the mainsail taller. However, on a cutter, the main sail would be smaller than on a sloop, as the sloop relies more on the big mainsail.

With a taller mast you could also add a square topsail, but that is only a suggestion, which is not necessary to make her correct.

The current rigging is still pretty good, though! Well done. :pir-sweet:

Great advise as aways moving the main mast may prove problematic as that means taking up the entire deck and the trapdoor to below... she may have stay as is... I will look at some adjustments though and see if I can't get her looking better.

For the sails, Captain Davenport may have visited the same sail maker as Sir James did with Jezebel (but I did try to put them to better use this time).

She has a very sleek line, and I love the turntable use for the sides

Thanks, I've been wanting to use them for a while, I picked up a tonne in a PAB cup and they needed to be put to good use.

Nice cutter. The brickbuilt hull and the colorscheme both look nice. I see some tips have already been given on the rigging, but it looks pretty good as it is. I like the smooth clean look of the deck and the turntable bases on the stern are neat. Good work.

That's a nice, simple, elegant design. I like the colours as well, though I may be biased in that regard.

Nice cutter. The sails look good. I think that white washed deck is going to require constant maintenance. :classic: