1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to share my first LEGO Nexo Knights review in Eurobricks. I can't believe that I have actually bought a set from this new theme. In fact, I have bought a couple of them as well. I am going to find more opportunities to share my thoughts with all of you on these interesting new theme. When the official images were released, the 70327 King's Mech was the first on my wishlist. To entice myself further, there was an ongoing LEGO polybag promotion giveaway in Singapore which pushed me to take the plunge and this set is the first sample. Thereafter, there is no turning back for me as I continued to venture a little deeper into this theme.

To be honest, I don't think LEGO Nexo Knights will appeal to medieval AFOLs as this new theme utilise castle and futuristic technologies coupled with some steampunk technology for mobility enhancement. However, I noticed this new theme appeal greatly to children and have huge enjoyment with them, receiving positive feedback from my colleague's children. The LEGO Nexo Knights appeared to be well marketed and perceived to be way better than Legends of Chima. It has a good mix of elements including good storyline, new parts and good designs. This is way better than Knights Kingdom II.

Name: 70327 The King's Mech

Theme: LEGO System / Nexo Knights

Year: 2016

Pieces: 375

Minifigs: 2 minifigures and 1 bot

Price: USD $29.99, GBP 29.99, EURO 32.99, SGD $44.90

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

Power up King Halbert in the King’s Mech fighting machine!

Defend the castle and wait for reinforcements! Jestro and his army of Lava monsters are making a final push against the King’s Castle—but they weren’t expecting this! Tech whizz-kid Robin Underwood has built a mighty robotic suit of armor for King Halbert to defend the people of Knighton. Swing the giant sword or launch the flying shield with trusty King’s bot at the controls. Includes 2 scannable shields for NEXO Powers Storm Dragon and Backfire.

• Includes 3 minifigures: King Halbert, King’s bot and Flamethrower.

• Features the King’s Mech and Flamethrower’s double crossbow stud shooter.

• The King’s Mech features a detachable sword and shield with King’s bot, plus a cockpit for King Halbert.

• Accessory elements include 2 helmets.

• The King’s Mech stands over 6” (17cm) high.

• Flamethrower’s crossbow shooter measures 1” (4cm) high, 2” (6cm) long and 2” (6cm) wide.

• Download the free LEGO® NEXO KNIGHTS™: MERLOK 2.0 app to your smartphone or tablet. Ask your parents’ permission first.

• Scan shields for each of the 2 NEXO Powers (Storm Dragon and Backfire) and power up in the LEGO® NEXO KNIGHTS™ game!

• Watch all your favorite NEXO KNIGHTS™ episodes on Cartoon Network.

An original box image of the 70327 The King's Mech

25755395786_5cbd6b2c9d_o_d.jpg

Back view of the original box image of the 70327 The King's Mech

25480779030_9b60a346aa_o_d.jpg

Isn't this the most awesome royal looking mech ever?

25781449455_72e6bc7976_o_d.jpg

The King's Mech is designed by Robin Underwood which is meant for King Halbert, so he can used it to defend the people of Knighton. This set is extremely well-designed and I really love this mech very much. It has a regal appearance and complement well with the futuristic front. I noticed that this new theme contain little minifigures count. I do not count the King bot as a minifigure, even though TLG categorise it as one. The main reason why I love this set is for the actual built of the King's Mech and the minifigures. I don't really recall any good medieval mech looking designs released as of now.

The content of the sealed box

25660473692_7bd80e20d8_o_d.jpg

The sealed box come with three mint numbered packs, an instruction manual and a sticker sheet to decorate the mech. However, I have decided not to apply them and to retain the vanilla appearance after completing the built. Once the set is built, these are the remaining spare parts in packet 1 and packet 2.

Download the LEGO Nexo Knights: Merlock 2.0 app

25154817663_f67644da44_o_d.jpg

Before I continue to talk about the set, I thought it will be worthy to mention the new Merlock 2.0 app. It can be downloaded at Apple platform and I have actually downloaded onto my iPhone and trial out. It is surprisingly fun and interactive for children to play with. It can level up and clear quests, more importantly there are a total of 154 powers to collect! That is massive and it kind of motivate the children or avid digital collectors to collect them all. Each shield reveal a special power. In this set, these are the two unique LEGO Nexo Knights power which is known as 'Storm Dragon' (these dragons will shock you when angry) and 'Backfire' (vengeance is a dish best served cold). You can scan the physical shields and connect it with the digital app. Trust me, you will feel so 'wow' that you are actually seem to digitising the entire experience. You are able to trial out the different acquired powers in the training ground and it is incredibly child friendly for its app user-interface. This is an excellent combination of having physical and virtual experience complementing one another and reinforcing the product knowledge.

The minifigures line up

25755385996_5285e3b552_o_d.jpg

I am very pleased with these two minifigures even though at this pricepoint, I really wish there is one more minifigure addition. The King Halbert minifigure is exclusive to this set and one of the reason why I wanted to acquire this set is because I find the appearance well crafted for LEGO Crown Knights alternate king. The overall outfit with pearl gold and royal blue cape complements well, plus the new King's crown design. Both minifigures have nice detailed back printing too. The Flamethrower villain is style with black mohawk, quiver and red devilish facade. It is quite a menacing fitting appearance but with just one minifigure against the King's Mech equate to no match. The Flamethrower has also appeared in the 70312 Lance's Mecha Horse.

The King's bot is a robotic guardian or sidekicks to aid King Halbert to operate on the flying shield. I am not particularly fond of these robotic sidekicks and this does not appeal to me greatly and it last reminded me of the Galaxy Squad robots. I like the traditional cone helmet though and after you take it off, you can see the King's bot alternate comical facial appearance.

The new LEGO Nexo Knights shield is pretty amazing. It allows the powers to be interchangeable and replace to whichever you desired. This is made possible through this brand new shield element. I am happy with this fun playability and at the same time, I realised something disturbing. As there are only two powers to utilise, why can't TLG provide or include an additional shield holder as 'extras'. I want all my LEGO Nexo Powers to be equipped with a shield for immediate usage but it really force onto the builder to interchange the powers more frequently which could be TLG's intent. I don't like to take on and off as it might cause loss of friction through wear-and-tear. I do hope TLG might consider their stance and include it as a form of 'spare' parts.

King Halbert and King's bot

25480764830_d72b3a4a47_o_d.jpg

Both Kings side by side

25154848343_1115f236d6_o_d.jpg

The entire building content for Packet 1

25686382471_6e2f8a5543_o_d.jpg

The completed built for Packet 1

25686380911_d15da9771a_o_d.jpg

Upon finishing packet 1, you can see the partial built of the King's Mech. You are able to see some close-up views from here and here. There are other completed built like the Flamethrower’s double crossbow stud shooter and flying shield. All of the minifigures are also included in the first packet.

The completed built of the double crossbow stud shooter

25154842523_93beba3d7a_o_d.jpg

This is quite a small built for the double crossbow stud shooter with minimum adjustable height. I personally think the main highlight is the new crossbow stud shooter element. It utilise the concept of click-blaster and now it is available all other forms of weaponry like the crossbow. It is a very cool weapon and it increase the playability. You can place the Flamethrower at the shooter with ease and he is ready in position to engage combat.

The completed built of the flying shield with trusty King’s bot at the controls

25755376446_51aceedef3_o_d.jpg

I am not a particular big fan of this flying shield design. It is quite a nice sleek spacecraft with modern sophisticated flight controls. It is commanded by King's bot and able to render quick assistance to the King's Mech in combat by causing a diversion or quick engage with the enemies. I suspect the children will enjoy the playability of this flying shield as it can disengage from the King's Mech quickly.

The entire building content for Packet 2

25660456682_027fb8ea19_o_d.jpg

The completed built of the King's Mech

25686366041_15e9a5c34f_o_d.jpg

This is the completed built of the King's Mech without placing the flying shield at his left arm. Measured at 17cm tall, this King's Mech is a force not to be reckon with. It is very sturdy and firm, plus it boost with good playability. It is very well complemented with dual firing blasters on the left arm, while the right arm is grabbing the brick-built giant sword. The giant sword is able to hold well in the mech's arm through the use of the technic pin to reinforce the integration. This also allowed the brick-built giant sword to change the facing of the direction whenever is appropriate.

King Halbert will be placed at the centre of the mech cockpit and the knight visor will deploy and cover the minifigure completely. Do note that the 'Backfire' shield is in-use. There are a pair of combat wings revealed at the back as well as a winding key which appeared to be able to wind up to charge like some toy soldier? The minifigures' weapons can be placed at the back of the King's Mech with great convenience. You can take a moment to admire the detailed different views of this King's Mech without shield from this side view, back view and the other side view. Below are some nice poseable photos which I have taken to demonstrate its fullest glory. This is also to illustrate the high poseability of this mech.

The King's Mech is ready for full combat

25480748760_46a05e386c_o_d.jpg

Side view of the fully equipped King's Mech

25154824743_ff1e79584f_o_d.jpg

Side view of the fully equipped King's Mech

25480745030_79c2dc92d2_o_d.jpg

Back view of the fully equipped King's Mech

25660443712_b1833cc90c_o_d.jpg

Separate and launch the shield

25150968764_de576d2bf9_o_d.jpg

The King's Mech is charged and ready for immediate combat

25755355556_e560801a18_o_d.jpg

Comparison with other LEGO mech designs

25154818473_462bf34b51_o_d.jpg

What is that giant looking thing stopping right in front of us?

25480735570_ebb2406414_o_d.jpg

Stopping enemies advancement

25150960984_26a1ea8a07_o_d.jpg

To conclude, this set is an above average set. It was love at first sight and I really loved this mech design very much. High points for the overall mech design which is highly posable and imitatiding. Any ideas who is the set designer for this set? I really want to find out who is the designer for this set and reviewing it is one way to show my appreciation to the designer. Good design for the new King's minifigure. It pleased me greatly to be able to build and review this set with great hype. My greatest disappointment is the stickers which is expected and I choose not to apply and the original vanilla look is equally appealing. The lack of the actual third minifigure for this price-point and also the lack of an extra shield to place the other Nexo power.

Summary review

Playability: 8/10 (Good fun playability on the mech itself and you probably be spending more time posing and playing with the features.)

Design: 8.5/10 (Excellent mech design and it has a wonderful appeal.)

Price: 8/10 (Price is quite reasonable as this is a discounted set in Singapore.)

Overall: 8.2/10 (I enjoyed this set very much and I think this is one of the best set ever, if you wish to sample LEGO Nexo Knights.)

I gave it a "4" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about you?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr.

Dear Eurobricks Community,

I would like to share with all of you on my latest new review on the 70327 The King's Mech. Feel free to leave your thought and I hope you will enjoy reading it. Thanks.

WhiteFang

I would have voted a higher rating if Lego had included a royal soldier instead of a bot. Also, my guess is Lego probably didn't give the king a nice suit of armor because of his beard.

I would have voted a higher rating if Lego had included a royal soldier instead of a bot. Also, my guess is Lego probably didn't give the king a nice suit of armor because of his beard.

In the show, a Bot is seated in the cockpit as well, it's supposed to launch and smash into other enemies.

I still want a Black Knight mech though...

Thank you for your comments!

In the show, a Bot is seated in the cockpit as well, it's supposed to launch and smash into other enemies.

Well, it has to match with the cartoon series. Even the King's bot is necessary, I wish there was at least an additional minifigure. Good or bad doesn't matter but I figured that TLG have advertised King's bot and count it as a minifigure. To me, that's not a minifigure count.

This set looks wonderful, (at least to me) as I feel the royal aesthetic is used really well here, with the coat tails on the back ,and the plume on the top of the head. Also, unlike lots of other Lego mechs, it has knees! I hope the Black Knight's Mech looks just as great. (since it looked cool in the show, but too much like this set without the royal aspects.)

I really like this set but there is one thing I don't get

Why does the mech have the wind-up key piece? Isn't this supposed to be high tech?

Using a fellow soldier as a literal meat shield (I guess metal shield in this case) seems very Soviet.

This set has a bunch of interesting pieces, but I doubt I'll ever use most of them. This set is a pass for me.

Is that a wind-key on the back of the mech? If so, that would give the shield-riding robot a good reason to be there.

*Flaming blocks raining on all sides from enemy catapults*

"O short robot there!"

"Yes?"

"Since we are for want of power, would ye be a kind soul and make thyself a target to remedy our plight?"

Great review!