Sign in to follow this  
TitusV

[ESL-FB2] Department of Science, Elysabethtown

25659894422_6706025461.jpg

The Society of Natural Philosophy was well-established in the old world, and everywhere its scientists went, they could find quiet refuges where they could dedicate themselves to their studies. Places where noone would question a bit of smell from a cadaver, or the odd looks some people give a man with blood all over his clothes after a fine dissection. Not to talk of the endless explanations to the constable about corpses being procured well within the law. Oh yee of little knowledge!

As a whole new world was now opening up, the Society followed suit, and sought to establish similar facilities in the settlements springing up on newly discovered islands. On Berelli, in Elysabethtown, the mayor had respondent to their request and granted them a room in the newly established library. Thus they had granted her the title of "Mecenas" meaning "benefactor", indicating her support for the Society, and she had promised that Elysabethtown would always allow the Society and their guests free passage regardless what wars and political intrigue might arise. Further, she had promised to use her influence with Maestro to allow scientists and specimens to travel on the company's vessels.

25100547804_96808c503d.jpg

A local clerk had also been assigned to receive the scientists whenever they should arrive. Robert McEvan normally worked in the library, but was very excited to be appointed for the position to service the Society. While it for some might just look like unpaid extra work, Robert knew with all his heart that it might be his way into natural philosophy. He had a dream to become an assistant to one of these scientists, and joining an expedition to see things never beheld before. And while he dared barely form the thought himself, somewhere in his mind he hoped one day himself to lead an expedition…

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading all this, for the kind comments on my previous MOC, and thanks to Bregir forthe story and the great idea of a Fraternity of Science! Elysabeth is very honoured to be allowed to call herself Mecenas. This build was, as you probably can see, based on Jacob Nion's build, wich I really like!

Additional images

25635907091_b64c0a69de.jpg

25609956612_4e30503ffb.jpg

Nice library (well nice room in your already established library pirate_satisfied.gif -has the rest of the library been shown off already, I'd like to see more). I really like the floor and that archway. Good to see the sciences taking off in the new world, Sir James would like to become a fellow.

Nice library (well nice room in your already established library pirate_satisfied.gif -has the rest of the library been shown off already, I'd like to see more). I really like the floor and that archway. Good to see the sciences taking off in the new world, Sir James would like to become a fellow.

Thank you! This is the first part of the Library, altough more may follow.

You're very welcome to join the Fraternity, PM Bregir :wink:

What an EXTRAORDINARILY well written story! :pir-grin::pir-laugh:

(And how I hate finding typos in my own words... But Titus did put me under timepressure!! :pir-tongue: )

Lovely build, Titus. While I couldn't place it myself, I knew the style reminded me of someone. I see clearly now that it is of course inspired by Jacob Nion.

Nice library (well nice room in your already established library :pir-sweet: -has the rest of the library been shown off already, I'd like to see more). I really like the floor and that archway. Good to see the sciences taking off in the new world, Sir James would like to become a fellow.

Arlinsport, Tiberia, 616

Dear Sir James,

It has come to our attention that you may have an interest in becoming a fellow of the Society of Natural Philosophers.

Currently, we have only peripherical knowledge of your work, but will be more than willing to review it upon official application.

Best regards

The Executive Committee, The Society of Natural Philosophy

OOC: Well, I am of course interested in more members, but currently, the Society is merely a figment of my imagination, so basically I have no clue how it will work in terms of game mechanics. However, I of course hope that it will at some point be recognised by the Crown as one of the fraternities of Science in Corrington.

As to membership, I am thinking that characters who have an IC interest in natural philosophy (It does not need to be their main occupation, but it should be reflected directly or indirectly in some builds) will be eligible. There will probably be a small moc requirement for joining, (Something like a vignette showing the character giving his introductory presentation for the Society) but nothing is set in stone yet, and the first fellows will of course have a say.

Send me a PM for more info. :pir-blush:

Thank you! This is the first part of the Library, altough more may follow.

You're very welcome to join the Fraternity, PM Bregir :wink:

The Executive Committee would like to clarify that the title of Mecenas is merely honourary, and in no way qualifies the holder for approving membership of the Society. Only through rigerous peer review of scientific work and merits can applicants be approved, and only by the Society itself.

But thanks for the marketing, Titus! :pir-wink:

Edited by Bregir

Bregir I like the sound of that, I'll send you a PM today or tomorrow :-)

This is a lovely little build. The built-up floor is beautiful and the rest of the structure looks good as well. I especially like the way the microfigs change the outline of the gothic arch.

The story is interesting too, and the connection to things already established is well noted. This should be an interesting thing to follow as it progresses. :classic:

Excellent stone detailing and lovely floor :classic:

A suggestion would be to build the wall twice as thick to block the light coming through the cracks around some of the parts.