Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzy MacFuzz

[COR - MAR FB1] Angling for a Duel

25078764244_797e346810_c.jpg20160310_192446 by Chris Warburton Brown, on Flickr

Above: John Hawksbrugh reads Philip Janszen's letter challenging him to a duel, during an angling trip near Port Raleigh

(This is John Hawksbrugh's reply to a letter sent to him by Philip Janszen challenging him to a duel.)

To Philip Janszen, supposed gentleman, wherever he may be

Dated this 13th day of March in the 616th year After Empire

Port Raleigh

Sir,

I received your letter this very morning from the mail boat Argonaut, and am replying in haste as the boat leaves again in a few hours. When the Argonaut docked, I was on the point of departing for a day's angling with my new friend Lt. Howard of the Royal Engineers and some other gentlemen, and so I opened your letter while sitting on the tranquil banks of the River Flynn just outside Port Raleigh.

I must admit Sir that I was somewhat surprised by the fierce tone of your response. Upon calm reflection, aided by the soothing waters of the river, I have realised that I may have been somewhat rash in calling you an 'Olean turncoat'. I therefore withdraw this comment and offer you an apology for it. However, your remark that I had been 'under Lady Winifred's skirts' remains a slander on the name of a most gracious lady, and continues to call into question your status as a gentleman. Unless you offer me an apology for this calumny, I am fully prepared to engage you in personal combat as and when you should make your way to Port Raleigh. I should warn you, sir, that I have already engaged Lt. Howard as my second, and will be taking instruction in pistol shooting from him and in swordsmanship from that most excellent gentleman Master Kenner, in anticipation of your arrival.

I look forward to your arrival here, if you have the stomach for the fight, and to receiving full satisfaction for both my and Lady Winifred's honour.

I remain, sir, your undaunted and determined foe,

John Hawksbrugh esq.

(NB: This little MOC was inspired by Wencelaus Hollar's 1647 engraving Angling, turned at 180 degrees.)

Edited by Fuzzy MacFuzz

Nice build, and a fair response! I like that you took inspiration from an engraving; I always find these types of builds interesting.

We'll have to wait until Janszen receives this response to see how he responds...

Very nice scene - I like how you have taken inspiration from the etching.

And I too love these affronts, apologies and cries for satisfaction going back and forth. This (including the original challenge) is a textbook example of how to handle it. This way, even without having the duel actually play out, it brings something to BoBS! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks for the kind comments. It was fun building this little scene. And fear not Bregir, we will be MOCing up the full duel; Capt. Wolf and I are just working out the story.

Thanks for the kind comments. It was fun building this little scene. And fear not Bregir, we will be MOCing up the full duel; Capt. Wolf and I are just working out the story.

Wuhuu! Duels! Let me know if you need an experienced judge, or a second! pirate_tong.gif

First of all, this is a nice little build (well, for anyone who has the patience to go fishing that is... :grin: )

And the duel storyline sounds rather interesting. I join the others in awaiting the outcome. :classic: