kabel

[ESL - FB 1] The Ropemaker of Nova Terreli

Can't sail without ropes, can you? That's why Enrique del Bosque left for Nova Terreli and together with his son is making the best ropes you can find anywhere in the New World. The work is hard as you have to work in the open, but with the increasing importance of Nova Terreli's harbor, Enrique can't complain at all ...

25460354610_4e9b141a80_c.jpg

The vegatation is brilliantly done, and this is a great choice of topic; no sailing without rope! Nicely done depiction of rope making too. Just down the road from my house there was an 18thc. rope yard, they made ropes up to half a mile long! Not sure how many studs that would be...

Nicely done. I feel in the presentation your vegetation overpowers the wonderful rope making machine you have built.

Amazing representation of the ropemaker, paired with some brilliant vegetation, really great job! That machine is so cool :-)

Really like your representation of the rope-twisting process! The vegetation is very nice as well, :thumbup:

Very nice build, a simple idea, brilliantly executed.

The vegatation is brilliantly done, and this is a great choice of topic; no sailing without rope! Nicely done depiction of rope making too. Just down the road from my house there was an 18thc. rope yard, they made ropes up to half a mile long! Not sure how many studs that would be...

I cycle past an old rope making building on my way to work (the building's length is probably a fifth of my journey)!

Edited by BrickOn

A lovely depiction of rope making process amidst a beutiful forest scenery!! The various professions of that era portraited here, never seize to amaze me!

Great execution of a necessary build. Seems you have an eye for crucial supply production thumbup.gif

Also, great vegetation and base.

If one does not watch out, one might learn something of the ancient crafts here! pirate_laugh2.gif

Very well done - that is a very heavy piece of cable - perhaps for an ancor?

The landscaping is fantastic, although I hope they get a more suitable place to work at some point pirate_wink.gif

Very nice build, kabel, great job addressing one of the biggest needs of a ship! pirate_wink.gif Excellent foliage and landscaping as well, the rock ledge is an awesome addition there! pirate_classic.gif

Thanks for all the positive feedback, glad y'all like it!

originally I was planning to make this even longer, alas I ran out of dark tan plates ...

Nicely done. I feel in the presentation your vegetation overpowers the wonderful rope making machine you have built.

Well, the idea is to show a colonial settlement that is slowly expanding into the sourrounding area. And since we are talking about a tropical setting I thought the vegetation would do it some good.

Is the rope machine functional?

yes, it actually is!

A lovely depiction of rope making process amidst a beutiful forest scenery!! The various professions of that era portraited here, never seize to amaze me!

My graddad being a cabinet maker sort of installed a fascination for all kinds of handcrafts in me. And actually I find it really interesting to observe artisians and find out how their stuff works. It's an excellent topic for BoBs, glad we have it.

Great MOC, now I get an idea how ropes are being made!

I actually got the idea from a visit to Guedelon castle three years ago. If you ever have the time you should go visit!

Great execution of a necessary build. Seems you have an eye for crucial supply production thumbup.gif

Also, great vegetation and base.

Haha, if you really think about it, there actually are a whole lot of professions involved in making trade possible!

The landscaping is fantastic, although I hope they get a more suitable place to work at some point pirate_wink.gif

the thing is that the ropemakers of the old days always had to work outside on the streets as buildings long enough were really expensive to build.

Excellent foliage and landscaping as well, the rock ledge is an awesome addition there! pirate_classic.gif

you know, snot rock - my thing!

Saw this on flickr and wanted to leave you a comment. I really like the representation of this important craft. It's always great to see mocs depicting every day work. This really adds some life to fantasy worlds. And it is embedded in a great landscape. Would love to see more nautical crafts in BoBS.

It's great to see another relatively obscure occupation coming to light. I'm planning a ropewalk to accompany my shipyard, but yours is the first I've ever seen in Lego form. I think the lush vegetation really steals the spotlight, but I'm guessing you wanted a depiction of a startup since the settlement is still young. The twisted strands look great, and the irregular base is a good way to hint at what would be much bigger/longer in reality. Good work. :classic: