Hewman

A quick comment on spam

4 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

The UK lottery when you log onto your online account, uses a photo divided up into a 6 x 4 grid and you have click the  squares containing parts of a car, road signs or other random image.

Doug

We do have that as well (not active, we can activate it). But the spammers are most likely no bots, but humans.

I was quite happy to answer the questions before accessing the forum. Luckily, I have yet to reach the level of apathy where typing anything other than LOL and OMG is a strain on my fingers and brain cells.

You guys running the board are doing a tremendous job and if this can help cut down on the spam, users should be happy to comply.

Edited by suffocation

4 hours ago, Jim said:

It's time we make our own Eurobricks website :wink:

Something I have been thinking about a lot lately. We would have full control over every aspect.

So you mean, a different site, where you could set all these buffers to spam.

Could you have a way to check Emails? Looking for spam.

Edit, someone else had the same question.

Edited by Aventador2004

6 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

From scratch? :distressed:

Technically yes, but with all the content (forum posts) from Eurobricks.

4 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

So you mean, a different site, where you could set all these buffers to spam.

Could you have a way to check Emails? Looking for spam.

A different technical solution, so yeah a different site. But this is not an easy task, so maybe it's better to forget I said it :wink: 

When you create software for a living, it's frustrating to be confined to the functionality offered by a third party vendor.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:04 AM, Pdaitabird said:

It's time we fight back: we should flood Korean dating websites with pictures of MOCs!

I approve of this plan. :laugh:

3 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

@Jim 

The story of King Cnut and the tide comes to mind. :sad:

Some of that just sounds dirty to me. Besides, I never heard of this story, is their a link (somewhere) to tell us what is about. 

P.S. Is their a way to delete the @ someone  thing (/tag) because I haven't figured it out yet. 

1 minute ago, samurai-turtle said:

P.S. Is their a way to delete the @ someone  thing (/tag) because I haven't figured it out yet. 

Highlight and Cut works for me.

I was asked a question this morning when I got on, I was a little surprised at first but quickly realized what was happening. I fully support this method and hope it gets rid of spam. 

Just now, Khscarymovie4 said:

I was asked a question this morning when I got on, I was a little surprised at first but quickly realized what was happening. I fully support this method and hope it gets rid of spam. 

:sweet: :thumbup:

1 hour ago, samurai-turtle said:

Some of that just sounds dirty to me. Besides, I never heard of this story, is their a link (somewhere) to tell us what is about. 

How it sounds cannot be helped, although I did wonder if the reference might have been too territory-specific.

If it helps start your research, 1000 years ago Cnut the Great was King of England, Denmark and Norway.

Edited by Hod Carrier
Syntax

Just saw the new question to help with this. Super glad to do anything to help block scammers; tired of seeing weird health supplements when I get on at odd hours of the night.

9 minutes ago, BaneShake said:

Just saw the new question to help with this. Super glad to do anything to help block scammers; tired of seeing weird health supplements when I get on at odd hours of the night.

Nice to get positive feedback from you guys. Thanks for supporting it.

I just filled out the new question. More than happy to do so if it means less spam! How effective is this new measure in the Spam Wars?

3 minutes ago, Phoxtane said:

I just filled out the new question. More than happy to do so if it means less spam! How effective is this new measure in the Spam Wars?

Basically 99% effective, since we manually approve accounts. So, unless spammers start to get real smart, we will find out soon enough. 

This is a member's answer to one of the question "agfsagsafgsa". It's pretty safe to say that this is a spammer ;-)

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

This is a member's answer to one of the question "agfsagsafgsa". It's pretty safe to say that this is a spammer ;-)

And I bet my head he is a left-hander! :wink:

The Admins had done a great job to implement this trial. It's better to see those spam fest during mid-day bashing those spammers. I will rather spend my time indulging into EB quality. 

8 hours ago, Jim said:

It's time we make our own Eurobricks website :wink:

Something I have been thinking about a lot lately. We would have full control over every aspect.

What do you mean by that? Moving the whole site to a new server possibly? I'm not really familiar with how that works.

11 hours ago, Jim said:

I wouldn't call Spam attacks a delicate matter like surgery btw. It's more like tower defense :wink: 

Not quite what I meant, I meant it's a blunt instrument, and might have blowback or other side effects. With a web forum, unlike tower defense, you have some things you want to let in. The delicate thing I was referring to was the balance between making it difficult for spammers, while not impeding new users, and not putting a massive load on moderators. But, what we have now is something, even if it is not optimal.

8 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

Not quite what I meant, I meant it's a blunt instrument, and might have blowback or other side effects. With a web forum, unlike tower defense, you have some things you want to let in. The delicate thing I was referring to was the balance between making it difficult for spammers, while not impeding new users, and not putting a massive load on moderators. But, what we have now is something, even if it is not optimal.

Cool. I understand what you mean. I don’t like it either, but if this is what it takes. At least we don’t have spam anymore :wink: 

7 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Peppermint Educates!

King Cnut and the Waves not to be confused by Katrina and the Waves :tongue: