Hewman

A quick comment on spam

Have you guys considered using service like CloudFlare to prevent botnets from crawling the site?

2 hours ago, makoy said:

Have you guys considered using service like CloudFlare to prevent botnets from crawling the site?

Personally I haven’t. I don’t have PHP knowledge, so I am not really sure how to implement this on our server, working witg the Invision forum software. Enlighten me :wink: 

7 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

And the spammer have now officially correct answer for the security questions... :look:

I started with a more open question, like “why do you want to join Eurobricks?”, but that probably won’t do the trick either. Let’s test the current questions for a week or so.

15 hours ago, Bob De Quatre said:

And the spammer have now officially correct answer for the security questions... :look:

NO!!!!

Dirty mangy slimy spammers...  Online traffic jammers... Can we hit them all with hammers? :jollyroger:

At least the forums have been mostly clean this past week. I was taken by surprise by the security question, but something needed to be done, for sure. They were replicating like chopped-up starfish. And they smell about as bad, too.

14 hours ago, Jim said:

Personally I haven’t. I don’t have PHP knowledge, so I am not really sure how to implement this on our server, working witg the Invision forum software. Enlighten me :wink: 

I started with a more open question, like “why do you want to join Eurobricks?”, but that probably won’t do the trick either. Let’s test the current questions for a week or so.

As long as one of the admins has access to DNS and some server extensions, that should be the only technical part of the service that you need to figure out: 

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/sections/200820158-Cloudflare-101

https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170786-Why-do-my-server-logs-show-CloudFlare-s-IPs-using-CloudFlare-

So it's not really PHP knowledge you need to know, rather server configurations.

Sounds feasible! Maybe I will get back to you on this one. If you don't mind.

17 hours ago, Jim said:

Sounds feasible! Maybe I will get back to you on this one. If you don't mind.

If a guy like me can do it, so can you! :laugh: 

On 9/10/2018 at 12:04 AM, Pdaitabird said:

It's time we fight back: we should flood Korean dating websites with pictures of MOCs!

No Russia did it, let’s flood Putin’s inbox with LEGO set reviews!

10 hours ago, TESLA IS THE FUTURE said:

No Russia did it, let’s flood Putin’s inbox with LEGO set reviews!

He might actually enjoy that. Who even knows whether there's a secret LEGO vault in the Kremlin? ;-) With an estimated personal wealth of several billion he could be one of LEGOs biggest customers....

Mylenium

Another Forum I was on got a lot of  spam accounts. What the moderators did to solve it was they had to personally accept each new member. It cut down on the spam big time but one would sneak by every now and again.

Perhaps that could help?

57 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Another Forum I was on got a lot of  spam accounts. What the moderators did to solve it was they had to personally accept each new member. It cut down on the spam big time but one would sneak by every now and again.

Perhaps that could help?

That's what we are currently doing :tongue: 

@Jim is it so, that you as a existing member only have to fill in the themes you are interrested in?  When i sign in, i have seen 2 tabs, but i only had to answer 1.

8 minutes ago, JDL1967 said:

@Jim is it so, that you as a existing member only have to fill in the themes you are interrested in?  When i sign in, i have seen 2 tabs, but i only had to answer 1.

There should be two questions which you need to answer. But the easy answer is...don't worry about it as an existing member. If you can post here you are good to go :wink:

" Which LEGO set did you recently purchase or build? "
well, damn. zero. None. Zich
But I did spend small fortune on bricks, it should be as an option :)

5 hours ago, Angeli said:

" Which LEGO set did you recently purchase or build? "
well, damn. zero. None. Zich
But I did spend small fortune on bricks, it should be as an option :)

That is actually a valid answer :wink: 

I haven't seen any spam since the security questions have been implemented, so nice work guys! :thumbup:

Make EB great spam-free again! Build a firewall! :grin:

11 hours ago, Oky said:

I haven't seen any spam since the security questions have been implemented, so nice work guys! :thumbup:

Thanks, neither have I. :cry_happy: It's a bit of work though to manually approve the newbies, but it's definitely worth it! :blush:

its not spam but i keep getting redirected to a fake website saying my windows is infected when im reading topics in the technic forum, i have bitdefender on my computer to protect me form things like this but in worried that someone else might fall for it

20 minutes ago, 9v system said:

its not spam but i keep getting redirected to a fake website saying my windows is infected when im reading topics in the technic forum, i have bitdefender on my computer to protect me form things like this but in worried that someone else might fall for it

I have heard this before, but my research indicated it was a user-specific issue, not a forum/topic one.

I think it was @Peppermint_M with the same issue.

@Jim + @9v system : Working fine for me, no problems in any subforum. So I would too say that this is something user specific. Let Bitdefender scan your system, if possible reset your browser settings and clear the browser cache.

Oh no, they're back! I just reported a post advertising fake passports and IDs. I looked at the profile and they had some interesting answers to the questions:

Favorite theme: Eurobricks

Recently bought/built set: toils

Interests: yes

That last one got me!

Perhaps we should require a fifteen--page essay from new members! :devil_laugh:

Which member was the spammer?

umerjaved?