Hewman

A quick comment on spam

Got the additional question and answered it. Not a big issue and if it helps against those spam messages I would even fill out a list of 10. Good luck admins with your efforts in cleaning the forum. Whatever you come up with, I'm with you guys!

Had noticed the spam but was quite baffled when I was asked for my favourite theme upon attempting to load the site. Glad you all are on top of it :thumbup:

Ah what a pleasure to peruse the forums without having to wade through bucket loads of spam, looks like its working. Many thanks to those who spend their valuable time making it possible. Keep up the good work and thanks very much. Not enough can be said for the people that make this a great forum. 

18 hours ago, Jim said:

We do have four questions at the moment,

I only had two...

11 hours ago, Phoxtane said:

How effective is this new measure in the Spam Wars?

It seems pretty effective so far, I guess you could say it's a new hope... :tongue:

4 hours ago, 62Bricks said:

I hope I'm not asked my favorite theme again and have to remember what I put in. I'm not a "theme" guy, really...

That is a fine answer too. As long as you give a normal answer. 

I don't mind it as long as it keeps spammers away. Is there a possibility to use a bot to auto ban obvious spammers, and the ones that the bots miss can be reported by members

Not gonna lie, when it asked me for my favourite theme I just told it 'none of your business' to be petty lol. Also, what do you judge to be normal @Jim?

Edited by Bartybum

13 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Also, what do you judge to be normal @Jim?

Almost everything else but 'askdjgada' :wink:

Just now, Holodoc said:

Almost everything else but 'askdjgada' :wink:

Ehhhh even that's debatable. I can see other users doing that just to get it over with.

14 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Ehhhh even that's debatable. I can see other users doing that just to get it over with.

In that case they have no business here. Simple as that. (New users that is)

It doesn’t really matter what existing users enter. The check is for new users.

Just now, Renny The Spaceman said:

Let's just hope the spammers won't strike back!

Unless they go DDoS on our ass, they won’t be bothering us anymore.

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Unless they go DDoS on our megablocks, they won’t be bothering us anymore.

Ding dong the witch Spammers is dead have been stopped from making obnoxious Topics unless they go DDoS on our Mega-bloks but in almost all other scenarios we'll be okay.   

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

22 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

What do you mean by that? Moving the whole site to a new server possibly? I'm not really familiar with how that works.

Not to another server perse, but creating new software using different technologies. Currently, we use forum software written by a third party. We hardly have any influence on that. It is what it is. Creating something ourselves gives us more flexibility to do cool stuff with the site. Downside is that it is time-consuming and we will face some challenges importing the current content. 

Got the additional question and answered it. Though hopefully it is not one of these 'remember what you put' as i wrote a rather long sentence xD

On 9/16/2018 at 2:24 AM, Holodoc said:

And I bet my head he is a left-hander! :wink:

Right hand is probably on the mouse

On 9/16/2018 at 3:39 PM, Jim said:

Creating something ourselves gives us more flexibility to do cool stuff with the site. Downside is that it is time-consuming and we will face some challenges importing the current content. 

Oh, slippery slope that is... unless you want to replace your LEGO hobby with "writing forum software as a hobby", don't do it.

(Seriously. Don't do it. You'll regret it forever.)

1 hour ago, LegoFjotten said:

Oh, slippery slope that is... unless you want to replace your LEGO hobby with "writing forum software as a hobby", don't do it.

(Seriously. Don't do it. You'll regret it forever.)

Hehe I know the drill. Lucky for me I’m better at building software than LEGO :wink: But I know it’s always way more work than you expect. Have been looking into (open source) forum software though. Couldn’t resist to do some window shopping.

8 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

What if someone put "MegaBlocks" for their favorite theme? *oh2* 

He/she will receive a special invitation to our next event to discuss this matter in public. :devil_laugh: