Hewman

A quick comment on spam

On 8/9/2018 at 8:23 AM, Bob De Quatre said:

Yep today is a very spammy day... :hmpf_bad:

Just now we have yet another spam bomb over at the General LEGO Discussion subforum. :sad:

Well this is the first time I seen spam in the Heroica sub fourm. And one of the threads (of the two) have a picture of an Asian lady in it (she was in a bathing suit so don't get to excited). 

Can spammers see when their posts have been reported? If so, reporting them immediately as soon as they post might be a good deterrent.

Unfortunately, they can’t and we are doing our best to react to those spam fests. Thanks for your understandiang. 

On 8/26/2018 at 11:10 PM, samurai-turtle said:

Well this is the first time I seen spam in the Heroica sub fourm. And one of the threads (of the two) have a picture of an Asian lady in it (she was in a bathing suit so don't get to excited). 

Well another one showed up (with a picture, in the Heroica sub fourm). This time the Asian lady was wearing a red bathing suit and crawling around in a bathtub. 

Is this type of spam showing up in parts of Eurobricks? 

6 minutes ago, samurai-turtle said:

Is this type of spam showing up in parts of Eurobricks? 

Yes, though not at same rate of bombardment that we had earlier. Yet, it's still pretty persistent and ongoing. :sceptic:

Good grief, I would say the Asian spammers have cracked EB, they have literally flooded every sub-forum, used to be just a couple and with each successive night they increase in numbers at this rate they will have the first page in every sub-forum populated with spam only posts, in a couple more days. Can nothing be done to end this madness? 

Well it finally happened they filled the entire first page and half the second page in The Great Brick War. Crazy. 

Edited by Johnny1360

The theme for tonight's spam-fest: A wall of what I assume are Chinese or Korean characters followed by the name of a prominent university.

As to the amount of Korean spam lately, it's pretty obvious that the North Koreans are studying our Lego rocket ships to build a classic space ICBM.*oh2*

Yeah, there has been a real wave of Korean spam. The problem is keeping registration balanced to weed out as many bots as we can without putting off genuine members.

Keep on reporting Spam you spot and we'll keep on smashing it down.

It even seems to be that either the Koreans have a local settlement in Pakistan or they delegate spam to regions like Pakistan. Fortunately banning a member will delete all their messages at once otherwise fighting the spam would become a day job ;)

I have the same problem. A lot of notifications from Eurobricks with Chinese characters. I opened one od them and I saw some Chinese girl. It's like a plague :(

I thought spam was a luxury in Korea. Now they are giving it away ...

Those aren't Chinese characters.  Maybe the Koreans outsourced the work to Pakistan, cheaper labour costs? 

Just click on "Report post" and specify "spam" to help out our moderators.  :classic:

Is there any risk of malware in the act of opening a spam topic so as to be able to report the post?  I don't know how to do it from the activity stream.

14 minutes ago, icm said:

Is there any risk of malware in the act of opening a spam topic so as to be able to report the post?  I don't know how to do it from the activity stream.

No

Only if you click on a link 

The entire All Activity page is completely full of spam post. This is crazy, I have never seen spam this bad here at Eurobricks. It feels like it's been happening every day too. Doing my part and reporting post.

1 hour ago, 9v system said:

man the licenced forum is full of spam right now

44 minutes ago, Khscarymovie4 said:

The entire All Activity page is completely full of spam post. This is crazy, I have never seen spam this bad here at Eurobricks. It feels like it's been happening every day too. Doing my part and reporting post.

Good grief it just keeps getting worse each passing day, my report button is about wore out. It's actually getting so bad the forum is being ruined and it's hard to navigate after dark. I feel sorry for the mods that have to deal with it and I hope the problem can be rectified soon. 

The General Discussion section alone has three full pages worth of spam topics *huh*

They all seem to be different accounts too. Is there a way to put a stop to this? It’s starting to get out of control...