Hewman

A quick comment on spam

55 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

I'm not a virus! (or at least I don't think I am!)
I'm sorry, but I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not.

:laugh: I think I believe you.  

just reported a 7-pack of annoying spam.

i somehow always catch the time where the mods cannot see that stuff for some weird reason when doin my daily scan...

25 minutes ago, masterX244 said:

just reported a 7-pack of annoying spam.

i somehow always catch the time where the mods cannot see that stuff for some weird reason when doin my daily scan...

I think it would REALLY help if the mods prevented any topics being created that had a hyperlink as the topic name.

No legit member puts their MOC name as "http://eurobricks.com/my-awesome-moc/", but spammers always have a link as their topic title.

Please consider this!

And I just reported a spam in the Star Wars topic. So annoying…

On 3.3.2017 at 8:58 AM, VaderFan2187 said:

I think it would REALLY help if the mods prevented any topics being created that had a hyperlink as the topic name.

No legit member puts their MOC name as "http://eurobricks.com/my-awesome-moc/", but spammers always have a link as their topic title.

Please consider this!

And I just reported a spam in the Star Wars topic. So annoying…

lol, shortly after i reported that 7-pack i caught that starwars forum one, too

Edit: 9th gotten

Edit2:  afew days later a 5-pack of http-spam

Edited by masterX244

On 3/4/2017 at 1:03 AM, masterX244 said:

lol, shortly after i reported that 7-pack i caught that starwars forum one, too

Edit: 9th gotten

Edit2:  afew days later a 5-pack of http-spam

I think you deserve a "spam zapper" badge or something :grin:

It's really annyoing the last few days. I don't know if it has been proposed before, but can something like "First post must be in >Hello, my name is...< Forum, no posts in other forums allowed until then" be implemented? Would this be feasable anyways?

time to write a semiatuomatic spam detector... those http-ones ask for being autodetected. and i like to code (mods might have noticed the programming jokes in all my flags)

Edit: 4th http spam today...

Edit: 20th march 7 spams at once... and a truckload of http-spam

Edited by masterX244

Yes, I spotted and reported them too. Two were for the same site but from different 'users', and had a very unusual content which I was mildly surprised at. Also, when I saw them they were already 42 minutes old. I have even come across spam posted hours before I see it, and seemingly no-one has spotted them. Very odd.
Oh, and I saw one in train-tech last week, the weirdest place to try and advertise... not nearly as many views over there I doubt!

EDIT:
I came across 5 this morning, no less, spread over General Discussion and Forum Information and Help. All were reported.

Also, a new one on me; someone's bot picked up on the word 'interlocking' in a Train Tech thread title, and posted a comment advertising his Indian company's 'interlocking paving bricks'. A good targeting strategy, if only it worked for him! :laugh: :facepalm:

Here's the thread:

Edited by ColletArrow

The amount of spam posts recently is getting quite annoying. I propose a certain waiting time until new accounts can post a new thread outside of the Introduction-section, or something in that way. These posts always follow the same pattern and I can't see why such a thing can't be prevented.

I have noticed the increase in spam too, I've ran out of amusing ways of reporting them. It's getting tiring, but there's not an easy way of stopping it.

The time-delay @Littleworlds suggested might work, but it would likely just fill up the "introduce yourself" forum with spam topics instead. Conveniently in one place, but annoying to find the actual introductions. Discouraging spam without turning potential new members away is a difficult balancing act. Perhaps we could elongate the 'quiz' questions asked on registration, that might reduce the number of false accounts...

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

I have noticed the increase in spam too, I've ran out of amusing ways of reporting them. It's getting tiring, but there's not an easy way of stopping it.

The time-delay @Littleworlds suggested might work, but it would likely just fill up the "introduce yourself" forum with spam topics instead. Conveniently in one place, but annoying to find the actual introductions. Discouraging spam without turning potential new members away is a difficult balancing act. Perhaps we could elongate the 'quiz' questions asked on registration, that might reduce the number of false accounts...

Good idea with the quiz-questions. I'm also thinking of capchas, and the blocking of URLs in the title (as proposed by Vaderfan a while ago - and maybe inside the first couple of posts too).

I don't know how good the security-systems of the site are. Maybe what we see is just a tiny fraction of what has been attempted to, but it is getting more and might upset regular readers at some point, who don't want to read about male enhancement all the time. :wink:

When I join a forum, I find waiting periods before I can post to be a big turn off for the forum, as are things like having your account approved, having your post reviewed, etc. (If there is a topic I want to talk about, I'd like to talk about it immediately and not wait for days on end before I can post it.) I don't know the inner workings of this particular forum software, but most forum software usually have developers who make plugins to stop spam accounts from signing up in the first place. I would install something like that before implementing features that will annoy people. People also like to make their accounts quickly, so I don't think bombarding them with questions on sign up is a good thing either - I like to take my time and fill in the profile properly after I've created an account, not as I create it, if that makes sense. Capchas are good, but make sure that they are easy to read and work properly. I've found a lot of capchas are unreadable, or if they are photo ones, they make me go through several layers of them before I can actually make an account.

We have security measures in place. Some spam will still get through. Such is life. We thank you for your patience.

I'm probably not the only member that's noticed, but we've had a massive lot of spam get posted in the Technic forum! :cry_sad:

I hope the moderators are quick, because more and more is being posted! (75 topics so far...)

Edit: I think it's finally stopped - the spam creator hasn't done anything for more than 10 minutes...

Edited by mocbuild101

Dear all, the recent spam attacks were already taken care of. Please bear with us in case any fall between the cracks. 

Oh no! It's happening again!!! :cry_sad: - another huge spam attack in the Technic forum!

Edit: It's been fixed...

Edited by mocbuild101

Bruh.

Something like 34 spam topics have been posted by one guy in the General Lego Discussion forum. *huh*

1 hour ago, LegoMonorailFan said:

Something like 34 spam topics have been posted by one guy in the General Lego Discussion forum. *huh*

Within only two minutes just as of now, I've gotten twenty-five plus notifications from this spammer. :angry:

31 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Within only two minutes just as of now, I've gotten twenty-five plus notifications from this spammer. :angry:

There are now 2 full pages of spam, looks like you have your work cut out today.

Keep calling it out in here and let us know.  I tend to find 2, maybe 3 as I check my phone before I pass out nightly, usually about 2am CST.  Most I have ever seen is 8 or 9?  So yeah, we try to keep up.  Thank you all.