Sign in to follow this  
Capt Wolf

[ESL-FB] A young lawyer moves to the islands

Aaron van der Meede is a young lawyer, recently graduated from the University of Terreli. Working for an established attorney, Aaron was tasked with finding a suitable plot of land in the islands for a plantation for a wealthy client. Aaron did some research and then sailed to An Holli. There the young lawyer fell in love with a world he had never imagined. The lush countryside intoxicated him with an enthusiasm for life.

Aaron quickly completed his task, finding a suitable plot for the client’s future plantation and sent word back on a fast ship. But Aaron did not return to Terreli to deliver his findings in person. Aaron could not imagine ever going back. The islands were where he belonged.

He scouted the town of Weelond for a suitable place to set up shop. In the warehouse district he found what he was looking for. He found a small private warehouse with available space on the second floor. The building was a bit older than others around -- the stone walls were no longer whitewashed, and the roof was made of wooden planks, not the red tiles seen almost everywhere – but the building was sound, and the location was good.

01.jpg

The second-floor space was really nothing more than a small apartment, but he could make it into an office. Aaron quickly found the proprietor and they came to an agreement for the young lawyer to rent the space.

02.jpg

Aaron borrowed a ladder and literally put out his shingle.

03.jpg04.jpg

And the fates clearly approved of the young lawyer’s decision. Before Aaron even had a chance to furnish his office or send for his books, a prospective client saw his sign and came up the stairs. Aaron had his first client, surely the first of many.

05.jpg

06.jpg

One of the things I wanted to do with this build was play with the roof technique. I think I'd adjust how I did it next time; feedback on it is appreciated.

I planned on doing an interior, but I wasn't particularly happy with how the wall panels looked from the inside, and I wound up stealing the tiles I used on the floors for another build.

Great use of the prefab-pueces, and wI really like the roof

This is a great use of those old wallpieces - I really like the look of this house. The stone sides, the tudor front and that roof is all very nice, and I really enjoyed the story too. The cobblestone might look a wee bit too regular, but otherwise, I have no comments! pirate_blush.gif

One wonders when we will see the first need of a lawyer. Of course, the Naval Licensing and Prize Court was just introduced... We will soon have a fully fledged judiciary system! pirate_wink.gif

Edited by Bregir

Really cool house, it's rare to see those "big" pieces of Lego integrated so nicely in a MOC. I really like the big gate on the ground and the stairs up to the maindoor, this house has some very nice flair. The roof worked out really well!

Only suggestion would be to add bricks behind the windows (e.g. orange for candle-light, white for curtains, black for dark rooms, ...). Seeing right through it makes the pictures look a bit weird, the house would look a lot more complete if that wasn't the case.

That's a nice house.

Good use of those old wall panels !

The best, IMO, is the roof, you did it very well. So, a very good job !

What town wouldn't be enhanced by a property like this one? Great build and an intriguing new story developing here...I look forward to seeing the next instalment.

Very nice house Captain Wolf, those large panels look fantastic here, and the roof turned out quite good as well! pirate_satisfied.gif Lawyers could be in demand in the new colonies any time, so its good to see Eslandola on top of the game! pirate_laugh_new.gif It does kind of look like that costumer is the exact same guy who just rented him the house though... pirate_look.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

Neat little house. The panels look pretty good and the roof is nice, although the angling of some of the tiles is pretty sharp. The overall design is good but the light showing through the upper windows is distracting. But it's a fine little residence and looks great for the time period.

the roof technique is good! I like the street as well - and those tudor panels fit in nicely!
Great use of the prefab-pieces, and I really like the roof
This is a great use of those old wallpieces - I really like the look of this house. The stone sides, the tudor front and that roof is all very nice.

Thanks for all the kind comments about the roof and the use of the large wall panels. I was looking for a way to use the tudor wall pieces, and then I just started using lots of wall panels.

Really cool house, it's rare to see those "big" pieces of Lego integrated so nicely in a MOC. I really like the big gate on the ground and the stairs up to the maindoor, this house has some very nice flair.

Thanks. I often struggle with making things asymmetrical. The large warehouse doors on the ground floor and the stairs up the side were features that defined this build for me.

It does kind of look like that costumer is the exact same guy who just rented him the house though... pirate_look.gifpirate_laugh2.gif

It's not, but I see what you mean. It's not even the same torso, but from the angle I used, you can't tell. I'll have to watch that in the future.

Neat little house. The panels look pretty good and the roof is nice, although the angling of some of the tiles is pretty sharp. The overall design is good but the light showing through the upper windows is distracting. But it's a fine little residence and looks great for the time period.

The angle of some of the tiles on the roof concerned me, too. That's likely what I'll address if I try this again. And the light showing through the windows was just sloppy work on my part. I should have put something in back to block the light. I think t was a side effect of starting to do an interior and then deciding not to.

Again, thanks to everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated!