Sign in to follow this  

Why aren't there more collabs between builders?

In other fields such as music, school, etc., collaboration is encouraged.

Why is collaboration so rare in Lego world? I can't think of the last time I saw 2+ builders collabing on the same model (not dioramas, but cars, etc.- individual MOC).

Something that small, it' typically not that easy. Just like in automotive, the outside (shell) is done by stylists, and then the car is 'filled' with components. Same thing with architectural buildings ... Unless I do the wheels and you do the tires :)

Probably mostly because we are scattered all over the world. Most of us have never met. On the other hand, projects like The Akiyuki Project or various other instruction projects can be highly collaborative.

Go check out the akiyuki gbc thread. There is at least 3 or 4 people working on recreating akiyuki's gbc machines.

As for the rest of the technic world, I couldn't tell you. I am the only person in my area that I know is in to technic. I think we as technic builders are tend to build alone so we have our own styles which make it hard to collaborate.

The highly collaborative themes, like trains, gbc, and town layouts, have specific guidelines to follow to make each unit fit together. Nathaniel Kuiper came up with some guidelines, but I've not really seen anyone else adopt them.

That would make a fun Technic Challenge. Design a vehicle so that it goes together like 8448 or 8244. Each person can design up to one of each module.

I think Blakbird nailed it with his answer. The only thing that I would add is the sharing of knowledge through instructions, photos and videos. In a way, this is collaboration as well: for example, if I want to include a sequential gearbox in my model, I can pick from many different models built by many different people. I don't need to reinvent the wheel, just offload (for lack of a better word) certain assemblies to other builders. And when I come up with a useful mechanism, I pay back by providing instructions or picture.

Blackbird and BusterHaus gives already the most of the answer, however here in the Netherlands we collaboration with a small group of(25 people) Modelteam and technic builders togehter.

I know we are lucky that the Netherlands is a very little country with many great builders and we works ore help each other in many ways. :thumbup:

There was a collaborative contest over in the Pirate Forum a couple of years ago. Contestants paired up and build half of the MOC. It was not easy to do over the Internet and different time zones.

Collaboration is easier if you're all in the same LUG and go the same events. We collab'ed on trains, GBCs, space stations, habitats for collectible minifigures, LEGO store windows, etc.

not being able everyday to work on the model, and see it in person by one another is the hardest part of collaboration, I cant think of any other people that live in Kentucky here in the US that are avid technic fans, and if there are they're probably a couple hours away, it would kinda be nice to have a map, thats anonyomus, of the entire world, each user could put up a pin on the map of they're location, just to see how were spread across the world.

What everyone else said; physical separation and time constraints. The need to consider multiple functional connection points probably also makes collaborating together on a single Technic/similar build particularly complex. That said, mahjqa and I worked together on this - it only took two days (spaced almost a year apart!):

not being able everyday to work on the model, and see it in person by one another is the hardest part of collaboration, I cant think of any other people that live in Kentucky here in the US that are avid technic fans, and if there are they're probably a couple hours away, it would kinda be nice to have a map, thats anonyomus, of the entire world, each user could put up a pin on the map of they're location, just to see how were spread across the world.

This is a great idea, we could pin it down to the city. would the mods have a problem with sharing this information?

What everyone else said; physical separation and time constraints. The need to consider multiple functional connection points probably also makes collaborating together on a single Technic/similar build particularly complex. That said, mahjqa and I worked together on this - it only took two days (spaced almost a year apart!):

that is hilarious

This is a great idea, we could pin it down to the city. would the mods have a problem with sharing this information?

There was a members on the map thread a couple of years ago. I don't think person making the map is active now. But the map still exists.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81006

The LEGO Ambassador Network has an active map of all the RLUGs in the work.

There was a members on the map thread a couple of years ago. I don't think person making the map is active now. But the map still exists.

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=81006

The LEGO Ambassador Network has an active map of all the RLUGs in the work.

I am a programmer, I have an idea for a social network about Lego, it will group people based on distance, it will be a separate thread (;

I want to add that, if you have any questions ask them at the right people. So has Edwin Korstanje help me with a vieuw things. And i just simpely ask him.