I love the UCS Slave 1, it has been my favourite OT ship since I owned the Kenner 3.75" version back in the early 80s. Unfortunately, my wallet doesn't love the price and with the amount of other Star Wars sets being released, it's not on the horizon. I'm not sure if the UCS is genuine minifigure scale or not (I'm sure someone's done the measurements), but I decided I actually wanted something that might fit more easily into a diorama, so I decided on a MOD of 8097. I was lucky enough to pick up a set without minifigures for less than £50 on eBay, and only needed one Bricks & Pieces and one Bricklink order to get what I needed (mostly bricks from the UCS).

Without further ado, I give you the Not-really-Ultimate, Not-really-Collectors Series Slave 1!

25583966892_a93565bb32_z.jpg

The main job was re-shaping the dark red bottom 'skirt' which was far too blocky in the original. This made the top/rounded end 2 studs wider, so a bit of fiddling was needed. I lost the flick fire mechanism, but kept the compartment play features as I felt the fit with the aesthetic and purpose of the craft.

25676513596_7a9ecc4007_z.jpg

A bit of greebling on the fin arms made a world of difference. The 4x6 dark red tile with studs on 3 edges (I'm sure it has a name) actually lies a lot flatter and smoother than it looks here.

25075959113_188b159cb1_z.jpg

25401843300_d0b1a007da_z.jpg

25676533026_34167a4715_z.jpg

The outline is not perfect, but I'm pretty happy at this scale. The nose guns are pretty much a copied/scaled down version of the UCS.

25676550666_b1aa34a087_z.jpg

Flight mode, with Boba Fett at the controls.

25401841970_e9465ff3b7_z.jpg

The underside is pretty much as-was. The removal of the flick-fire rack means the interior is actually pretty empty. I've covered the opening with a small 4x6 hatch for now that may become some sort of removable holding cell.

25609995811_86af43ed89_z.jpg

One final shot with Boba Fett scouting for his latest prey. No arm printing? Well, that's for UCS only!

25676514406_0119e5d28d_z.jpg

All comments and suggestions for improvements gratefully received and acted upon!

Ace! A huge improvement over the original set. My only gripe would have to be the transition between the wide and thin sections of the trunk (?). It's a little rough.

This is an amazing improvement! It looks very similar to the UCS version, however it is no where near the same size :hmpf_bad:. I like the use of the 1x3 slope bricks on the front of the model! Fantastic use of snot on the top of the model! I also like the red 1x1 studs on the rear of the model situated around the edge. Great job,

Ellis.

This is ironic, as I was wanting to build my own Slave 1 (Jango's version). I was experimenting to use the large semi-disc slopes as you did, but I would have trouble getting the 6x6 semi-disc slope, does not come in dark blue, to my knowledge. The surrounding slope area came out really smooth, its a great alternative method than to LEGOs original.

Also, I would think using 1x3 slopes, instead 1x2 would look better. i think it looks too flat and might have a better transition from the windscreen and the rest of the trunk.

Nicely done! My only objection would go towards that LBG trunk section right beneath the cockpit - that one seems far to rectangular. If you used 1x3x1 curved slopes instead of 1x2x2/3 on the sides, iz could help a little. Still there is that nasty pointy step on the transition between this and the narrower part of the trunk. I'd suggest using some snot technique to create some more roundish outline for that part.

Nicely done! My only objection would go towards that LBG trunk section right beneath the cockpit - that one seems far to rectangular.

i think it looks too flat and might have a better transition from the windscreen and the rest of the trunk.

For the main trunk, have you thought of using the 2x2 curved slope (15068) to minimise the lines?

Thanks for all the feedback! I totally agree with the suggestions, so I've had a play about today. After a long time SNOTting around, I finally settled on this. Much to my horror however, I discovered I did not have any 1x3 slopes w/bow in LBG - hence the temporary dark blue section (maybe it's just the Jango version without a coat of paint!). It's still not perfect (mainly due to the slight ridges along the cockpit end of the trunk, but it's improving.

25703445136_d519f59464_z.jpg

25703456556_6213d48569_z.jpg

25608499052_b5f962951e_z.jpg

Perfect :)

I don't know about that! I'm pretty pleased with it though - especially since I discovered there were 8 1x3 LBG slope w/bow that could be "borrowed" from the republic AV-7 cannon!

^ I mean it. I know how difficult is to shape out this ship. Working on mine for... huh almost a year now :D

This is looking nice, I've been trying to mod my own 8097 for a while now. Did you have to alter the structure itself to accommodate the new 'skirt' ? Any chance of a parts list ?

This is looking nice, I've been trying to mod my own 8097 for a while now. Did you have to alter the structure itself to accommodate the new 'skirt' ? Any chance of a parts list ?

Sorry - no parts list as it was pretty much experimenting all the way. Most of the parts I ordered were from bricks and pieces from the UCS set - the dark red bits and some sand green. There's no major change to the structure at the round end of the skirt, the plates are the same and it's just a matter of filling in with bricks and plates to give it the strength. On the other side of the fins, the structure is pretty much all new as the base is 2 studs narrower than the original - there are a couple of hinges to get the angles.

The main body is much the same, but the trunk is new to allow for the angles at the cockpit end. Sorry not to be more help!

Sorry - no parts list as it was pretty much experimenting all the way. Most of the parts I ordered were from bricks and pieces from the UCS set - the dark red bits and some sand green. There's no major change to the structure at the round end of the skirt, the plates are the same and it's just a matter of filling in with bricks and plates to give it the strength. On the other side of the fins, the structure is pretty much all new as the base is 2 studs narrower than the original - there are a couple of hinges to get the angles.

The main body is much the same, but the trunk is new to allow for the angles at the cockpit end. Sorry not to be more help!

No worries : ) I'm going to have to order some of those dark red parts I think. And some extra lbg sloped pieces too as I've used all mine on my Falcon and Tie mods ! Looks like you've modded the pylons similar to how I did mine, and I also stripped out the flick fire rubbish : ) I had to leave the technic framework inside though, as it seems to give the hull it's rigidity. Ace mod again

Hi All,

I modified the 20th anniversary set to be more like the UCS. Check out the photos on Flickr and let me know thoughts. I integrated the carry handle and kept in the stud shooters (just covered up) added in a couple of tiles in cockpit, added clips to hold blasters in cockpit, added in tiles to smooth out underside of tail section, added in missiles, ion cannon and seismic charges, customized winglet section 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmSGB6Fg