May 615, Arlinsport, Tiberia

(Flashback: This takes place approximately a year ago, at the very beginnings of the rush to the new world.)

25695930565_5fa3a01f26_c.jpg

Montoya was preparing himself, and, uncharacteristically, he was nervous. He was about to appear before the Society of Natural Philosophy. He had been personally encouraged by esteemed members he highly respected, and had now received the official invitation to become a full member. By any logic, he should feel confident.

However, his acceptance meant he had to give an introductory speech on a scientific subject of his choice. The audience would be the members, some of the most prominent natural philosophers in the world, and Montoya was somewhat awed. His subject was one with which he was intimately familiar, and for which he had already achieved widespread acclaim, the Great Tiberian Sea Otter. His field studies were the first to fully describe the species and its behaviours. Yet, he was nervous.

25603234071_b6943c6dd4_c.jpg

The society is a college of some of the finest zoologists, botanists, biologists, medicoes, and entomologists, as well as a multitude of other natural philosophers, many of them from the finer families of Corrington, and most of them affluent.

As such, sizeable donations are frequently made by members and non-members alike, giving the society control over significant funds. These funds are mainly used to fund expeditions or experiments, or for other such measures the Society finds relevant for furthering the cause of Natural Philosophy.

Having recently decided himself to purchase a ship… Vessel, he should say - His friend Cooke, a Captain of the Royal Navy, had often reproached him with the ridiculous notion that some ships were not ships at all! Sailors and their jargon! He was funding an expedition into the new world rumoured to hold such wealth, both to the natural philosopher, and to those of more worldly concerns. As such, he had every reason to stand tall before the Society.

Yet still, he was nervous.

25577235882_dc43f58ae4_c.jpg

He had taken refuge on the balcony of his residence in Arlinsport, and was now waiting for Cooke to arrive to follow him to the conference. Perhaps his friend's unwavering confidence on his worth as a scientist (if not a sailor) would keep his nerves in check…

The house was built by a wealthy merchant in Arlinsport's early beginnings, and was now situated in the midst of the city's finest quarters, conveniently only a few minutes from the Society's Tiberian Chambers. Incidently, this rich merchant was Montoya's Godfather, so apart from spending much of this childhood and youth here, amongst the interesting flora and fauna of Tiberia, he had recently inherited the house, as well as considerable wealth.

Thus, this charming townhouse was now his home, and the home to many of his collections. The top floor had been converted to a study, and the warehouse at the ground floor now housed a multitude of specimens, most of them waiting to be described, catalogued, and dissected.

25695930815_cd821d7e2c_z.jpg

25695930685_6b1541d6a7_z.jpg

25065416474_a7f9d8cbc3_z.jpg

C&C is, as always welcome. In this and my next few builds, the story will be more elaborate than usual, so I hope it makes sense. Here, my purpose was mainly to introduce the Society of Natural Philosophy, which I hope in time will be one of the scientific fraternities recognised by the Crown of Corrington. (And then adding Royal as a prefix to the name! :pir-sweet: ) I intent to build for this Society in the Future, and hope to see it grow with more members (And donors... :pir-wink: )

The building has been sitting around for a long time, in several iterations. First as a modular building for my city layout, then as a townhouse for GoH. However, it seemed to modern there and was thus discarded. Luckily, it fits perfectly here, I think, and will be registered as a small residence.

Thanks for reading!

Whoa, a complete modular, interior and all. Good to see a use of basic colored bricks. They are hard to incorporate. It looks good with light grey, although I wonder if it could not be even better with some details or accents with dark grey. Lovely story. I am intrigued.

Watch out, you have a runaway spider specimen in the attic...

Edited by Sir Stig

Very nice build! I like the use of the slopes for the roof (I need to steal borrow that idea), and the stairs! The façade is a great mixture of details and plain wall.

Great building Bregir, the light grey and yellow go together really nicely! The hedge of plants is good too and way to go with adding an interior! :thumbup:

I like it (the build AND the story). I wouldn't have thought yellow and gray would work together but they do. I like the roof, the hedge, and the interior details. Well done!

Very nicely modular and shows off your wealth perfectly.

I think it should at least be a medium residence, though I understand with your level of affluence, this is but a mere pigeonhole :p

Great work Bregir! The yellow turns out surprisingly well, and I really like it you've included interiors

A great house fit for your hard? earned gold!!! Hehehe! Seriously now really nice architecture, fitting for that era. I would prefer a different colour for the roof though :-)

A beautiful residence, well suited for one of Corrington's leading figures in science!

At first I too questioned it being a 'small' residence. But CelesAurivern makes a good point, for a man of your substance this is probably more accurate as small!! pir_laugh2.gif

The shape of the roof instantly reminded me of the Parisian Restaurant, which I have been eyeing off on my shelf for the last couple of weeks thinking "that would look great modified in Arlinsport"!!!! I too like the use of 'classic' yellow, not a colour I would have thought of trying but you make it work really well.

Dirk Allcock would be honoured to participate in activities for the Society of Natural Philosophy. Although he missed your presentation on the Tiberian Sea Otter, he did obtain a copy of the paper which he read several times most enthusiastically!

Thanks, all - I am really happy you liked the build and the story. It is something that has been standing on my shelf unfinished for forever (We are talking years), and has been through several iterations, especially the ground floor.

It is actually a quite advanced build for the topfloor, which I found out when I had to put in the tiles and interior in and it fell apart for me... :pir-tongue:

Whoa, a complete modular, interior and all. Good to see a use of basic colored bricks. They are hard to incorporate. It looks good with light grey, although I wonder if it could not be even better with some details or accents with dark grey. Lovely story. I am intrigued. Watch out, you have a runaway spider specimen in the attic...

Thanks, sir. I have a feeling that the contrast would be to sharp with dark grey, but I will be looking forward to others experiment with these traditional colours and different accents! :pir-blush: And yes, and interior always improves a build a bit, right :pir-sweet:

And don't worry, that spider is mostly harmless, as long you don't provoke it... Mostly!

Well, it is actually a non-descript, so it could possibly be lethal, come to think of it... :pir-grin:

Very nice build! I like the use of the slopes for the roof (I need to steal borrow that idea), and the stairs! The façade is a great mixture of details and plain wall.

Steal away - just remember to transfer the licensing fee! :pir-laugh::pir-tongue:

And thanks - I like the way it turned out too!

Very nicely modular and shows off your wealth perfectly. I think it should at least be a medium residence, though I understand with your level of affluence, this is but a mere pigeonhole :p

Oh, do you find it flashy? I assure you, that was not the purpose! :pir-oh3:

And yes, it is a rather humble hovel for a man of my standing. However, as it isn't anything near 32x32 it doesn't really qualify for a medium license. :pir-blush:

Lovely! I've been thinking of doing some building using yellow (in combination with white and grey) - but now you were faster!

But now you have the advantage of having seen my version - so I'd encourage you still to try it out! I like seeing these traditional colours being put to use - reminds me of the old days. :pir-grin:

A beautiful residence, well suited for one of Corrington's leading figures in science! At first I too questioned it being a 'small' residence. But CelesAurivern makes a good point, for a man of your substance this is probably more accurate as small!! :pir_laugh2:

The shape of the roof instantly reminded me of the Parisian Restaurant, which I have been eyeing off on my shelf for the last couple of weeks thinking "that would look great modified in Arlinsport"!!!!

I too like the use of 'classic' yellow, not a colour I would have thought of trying but you make it work really well.

Dirk Allcock would be honoured to participate in activities for the Society of Natural Philosophy. Although he missed your presentation on the Tiberian Sea Otter, he did obtain a copy of the paper which he read several times most enthusiastically!

Thanks, Ayrlego - but as I said it isn't anything near 32x32 so it doesn't qualify as a medium. And in any case, Montoya has no need for a larger residence. (Apart from better study facilities and storage, perhaps.)

Now that you mention it, the roof actually does look a lot like the Parisian Restaurant - but I assure you, this predates the PR. :pir-wink:

The classic colours are actually perfectly useful. I used yellow as I was trying to build up a modular city of the bricks I had available. Since then, my wallet has been sacrificed, so I am not so limited in bricks anymore, but often, creativity thrives under restraint! :pir-tongue:

I am certain the Society will happily accept mr. Allcock. (I am thinking that joining the society will require a vignette of the scientist doing his introductory speech before the Society, but this isn't settled yet - more on this later :pir-blush: )

As to the presentation, some say it was a bit dull, and very hard to hear, and that Montoya seemed extraordinarily nervous. However, those who were close enough to hear agree with those who read the paper - it was a most interesting subject presented by an obvious expert. :pir_laugh2:

I think this could be licenced as a medium. You have three floors. They would easily cover 32x32 if they were a 1 floor building. I think we should take that into account. But you could underlicence it as a small if you want.

I am only on the Court for Naval Licensing, so I have actually no clue. pirate_tong.gif

However, somewhere else, the general position was, that we shouldn't start bending the rules, as that would be hard to control.

If I wanted or needed to license it as a medium residence, I could simply have built a larger base with more of the road, and the problem would have dissapeared! pirate_wink.gif

The architecture and overall stately appearance give this the look of "old money." It's a fine house, and while the unconventional colors aren't really my thing, they work well enough. The modular design is nice and the interior details are good. The story is pretty good too; I look forward to seeing where it goes from here. Keep it up.