I'm curious to know if I need parts from bags 2, 3 or 4 before I'd need them if building as per the original instructions.

Hope that makes sense. I just don't want to have masses of parts out if I don't need to.

Any help would be appriciated.

Build Day 5 - Building time 4hrs 15mins - Total build time 16hrs 45mins

This morning while building all went well with the exception of my mangling a 18651 Axle Pin 3L with 2L Axle when trying to push it through the two 6632 1 x 3 Thin Liftarms above the steering column. I find the plastic used for the 18651 to be much softer than that used for pins and axles. It’s always the pin end that I damage usually rendering it oval or worse still I spread the ends of the pin apart so it ends up looking something akin to a happy cod! I know it’s bad but I must ruin 2 out of 3 I try to fit. Good job I’ve plenty of them.

This afternoons building session also wasn’t with out a problem or two, again of my own making.

The most annoying was when fitting the paddleshift unit. I hadn’t noticed that when I had it in place the 11L Liftarm fitted to it’s right side had missed one of the pins, notably the one to the left of the gear indicator.

After making sure the liftarm was fitted to the paddleshift unit correctly my thoughts turned to only other thing I thought it could be, the position of the shifter unit itself. I checked but could see no reason why the hole in liftarm wasn’t aligned with the pin. Perplexed and somewhat annoyed I went in the house and had a coffee.

The caffeine must have had some effect on my observation because as soon as I was back at my building table I could see that the paddleshift unit wasn’t sitting quite square, it was tilted slightly towards the back of the car, just enough for the liftarm to miss the pin. A bit of leverage with my clamps had it aligned and a quick push had it in place. I felt like such an idiot not noticing earlier but that aside the mistake was easily fixed.

That’s the end of today’s ramblings, I hope it all makes sense.

Here’s today’s pictures:

IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5848.jpg

IMG_5903.jpg

IMG_5919.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5980.jpg

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Build Day 6/7 - Combined building time 7hrs 30mins - Total build time 23hrs 15mins

Just time to post pictures of the last 2 days building sessions.

Sorry I've no time to write much other that to say I had no problems other that a few of my own making that were quickly resolved so  progess has been good.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures.

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

IMG_6029.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6033.jpg

IMG_6035.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

IMG_6041.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg
IMG_6102.jpg

IMG_6117.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6066.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg
IMG_6106.jpg

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6125.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

Edited by grum64

It looks like you have very stiff solution with double pin connector with rear shocks. :thumbup:

It's taking shape. But I guess the 'technical part' is nearly done now (just the engine is missing)? It is just bodywork from here on? Does this MOD also have the separate self-supported bodywork?

13 hours ago, I_Igor said:

It looks like you have very stiff solution with double pin connector with rear shocks. :thumbup:

Yes and that's entirely down to those who put so much time into making the GT3 what it should have been from the start. 

8 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

It's taking shape. But I guess the 'technical part' is nearly done now (just the engine is missing)? It is just bodywork from here on? Does this MOD also have the separate self-supported bodywork?

It's coming along but very slowly. I've not had much building time due to Family commitments. 

The body is separate & self supporting and can be easily removed to show the good stuff underneath. Again, this is how the original should have been.

Edited by grum64

Just one additional question; did you consider to make modifications (in future) to front axle to look like original?

208106716-w988-h659.jpg

Kind regards

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

...did you consider to make modifications (in future) to front axle to look like original?

No, I’ve not got that level of competence but I like that you think I know what I’m doing  :sweet:

16 minutes ago, grum64 said:

No, I’ve not got that level of competence but I like that you think I know what I’m doing  :sweet:

Who knows, maybe I'll try to make it after I finish project which causes me stiffness issues :laugh:

Regards

46 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Who knows, maybe I'll try to make it after I finish project which causes me stiffness issues :laugh:

Regards

I don’t quite know how to answer that :blush:

Let's say that I have some experience with that kind of suspension as you can see here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=365696

Only you have to enlarge images, it could be visible...I have Eleanor somewhere stored (if axles are not taken apart since it have been more than 10 years ago) so when I find it I could take some photos of front suspension... Problem is only that it uses this shocks

48912c01.jpg

Building time 6hrs 20mins - Total build time 29hrs 35mins

Knowing my days building would be starting with the GT3’s engine didn’t fill my heart with much joy as every time I’ve built an engine (particularly V8’s) it’s added considerably to the days building time. If I recall correctly the last one took 3hrs or so. This one though was quick by comparison taking just over 1hr 30mins. Being a flat 6 and not the usual and much more difficult V8 helped as I could lay the blocks and completed crankshaft assembly flat and, using my clamps, tease the pistons more easily into place.

With the engine and last few bits and pieces fitted the chassis is complete but like others I’m disappointed that the engine’s covered up so you can’t see the pistons moving. I like to see them popping up & down (or in the GT3’s case, moving side to side) when ‘driving’ and so do Jake and George. The first time they saw the pistons moving on a model they were playing with they wanted to know what they were & why they were doing what they were doing and they now know how an engine works so leaving them visible can be educational.

I know plastic covers etc., hide the real cars engine so the model having the same is realistic but I really don’t think any builder would complain had the designer left the pistons operation visible. 

This sessions pics.

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6142.jpg

IMG_6153.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG_6202.jpg

IMG_6205.JPG

IMG_6211.JPG

I must say that flat 6 has some nice details :thumbup:

Trust me @grum64, I know, that you know what are you doing :wink:

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Trust me @grum64, I know, that you know what are you doing 

Funny111.jpg

Edited by grum64

Building Time 5hrs 40mins - Total Build Time 35hrs 15mins

With the completed chassis sitting to one side work on the body continues at what, for me anyways, has been a reasonably good pace.

I’ve always found fitting pins, parts etc., inside frames difficult mainly because I can’t get a tooth in far enough to get purchase to push them into place and using a finger ends with bits going off in all directions. Today I’ve had two to do.

Warning: This next bit may (OK, will) go on a bit. Sorry.

Over the years I’ve tried all sort of ways to make this easier but nothing worked particularly well. Today though I had an idea.

I took a piece of a bamboo kebab stick, broken so it was about 3 studs in length, and pushed it snugly into the end of the pin. From the inside of the frame I then pushed the bamboo through the hole so a short bit of the kebab stick stuck out.

After joining 5 x Technic Plate Rotor 6 Blade with Clip Ends (64566) one on top of the other I raised the frame and lowered it so that the kebab stick went into centre hole of the joined plates. This held the frame upright and the pin in place over the hole.

I’ve tried many ways of pushing the pin down and into place but found a 2 x 8 Plate with Waffle Bottom (3034old) is best as it has square indents underneath that the top of the pin can sit in. So, with the plate carefully passed through the frame and held above the pin it was just a case of wedging the plate between my palms, locating the top of the pin in as close to the centre most square under the plate as possible and gently pushing down and bingo, pin in place. All that remained was to remove the kebab stick.

I know this sounds a convoluted way of doing things (made worse by my less than clear explanation) but it’s quicker than struggling to do it other ways.

The rest of build went well.

Enough of my rambling, here’s today’s pictures.

IMG_6216.jpg

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6255.jpg

IMG_6290.jpg

20190115_161516.jpg

IMG_6326.jpg

IMG_6351.jpg

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Looks promising; you know that I prefer framework :wink:

Regards

22 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Looks promising.

Thank you Igor. It’s coming along nicely.

22 hours ago, I_Igor said:

... you know that I prefer framework :wink:

I do indeed. Sturdy framework. Very sturdy framework :sweet:

16 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Thank you Igor. It’s coming along nicely.

I do indeed. Sturdy framework. Very sturdy framework :sweet:

Yes, sturdy and light - best combination :thumbup:

@grum64 Wow! I have missed a lot this last month. I must go back and catch up, some of the sub-assemblies look really, really interesting. Before I saw your build I had no interest in the GT3, even Sariel or Jim could not convince me that I "need" the GT3, but now, well, now it looks like an interesting build and a lot of fun to build. @grum64 you are a tempter! But maybe I'll just wait for your Bugatti build and see if that one looks more interesting. The only thing is I am not too interested in the super cars, but the GT3 does look like a fun build. What to do? What to do?

I will be interested to see if you can leave the body off of the car, so you can get to and activate the mechanical goodies that are hidden there.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. It's a build I'm enjoying very much.

With it being the Pimped version the body can be removed in one piece so the good stuff underneath can be seen.

Today’s Building time 5hrs 15mins - Total build time 40hrs 30mins

Not much to say about today’s building. It’s been a tad fiddly at times but I feel I’ve gotten a good bit done nonetheless. A long way to go yet though.

Today’s pics.

70903237-BB42-431-F-87-F7-F86-AAEE8-A40-

95-E57707-6921-4679-94-A9-7-FBC258-D91-A

9-DA06403-2310-4614-8487-15-D06901-C940.

825-E7-E42-27-EC-4-B6-A-818-E-C51-DEA8-F

845-E609-D-E363-4440-8-CE6-06-A7-A5-CFEE

8495-D736-511-E-4852-BBE3-A763-B60-E603-

11 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Keep up the hard work Grum...

Thank you my Friend, that’s the plan.

11 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

It is interesting certainly

To be honest, the really interesting part of the build was the chassis etc., but the body is more of a challenge as there are many parts fitted in difficult to access places but to me that’s the fun of building.

Usually when we are done with "backbone" of our creation, bodywork can be annoying, but after a while you will find enjoyment in that. I usually leave bodywork start for one if next days...

Regards Clive