I'm a bit late to the party, but you dont have to be a Lego fan to see how much you and your family are really bonded. As I said before you have a real will-power and patience to build, something that many of us take for granted may take you a long time. But in the end, I imagine the satisfaction of seeing a finished model meks it all worthwhile.

I will be following this thread with great interest.

This will never do. You left out a vital component in that first pic thats gonna ruin the whole build Clive.

As often is the case Glen, I can't say I'm entirely sure what you mean :classic: I think something's got lost in translation and unfortunately I can't find my Australian-English / English-Australian Dictionary :classic:

Edited by grum64

I'm a bit late to the party, but you dont have to be a Lego fan to see how much you and your family are really bonded. As I said before you have a real will-power and patience to build, something that many of us take for granted may take you a long time. But in the end, I imagine the satisfaction of seeing a finished model meks it all worthwhile.

I will be following this thread with great interest.

Thank you for your kind words.

I'm blessed to have such a close and supportive family.

You're right, I do get an enormous amount of satisfaction when I look at a finished model and much more so when I see Jake & George having fun playing with something I've made.

Build Day 7 - Days build time 4hrs / Total build time 26hrs 40mins

A good mornings building today with a just couple of pretty minor frustrations. Because of their shape fitting the panels was a pain, they're really difficult to push into place. Other than that all went well.

Another couple of days building should have this finished.

Todays Pics

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0190.JPG

Great pictures today, the colors are well saturated and details are very sharp. Did you upgrade cameras? Or get a stand for the old one?

Great pictures today, the colors are well saturated and details are very sharp. Did you upgrade cameras? Or get a stand for the old one?

Thank you Bart. The pictures were taken using my phone. I've used it to take all the 9398 build pics. through the build. My Son upgraded to an iPhone 6+ a while ago so I've 'inherited' his old Samsung Galaxy Note 3. No, I don't use a stand, although I've been thinking about getting one, the pics are just taken in the same way as always.

Glad you think my photography is getting 'better'.

Edited by grum64

Here is Clive entering his shed. :laugh:

_64013668_64013621.jpg

You are making good progress with the build. :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

You have also made very great Progress today Clive :thumbup:

Thanks Edwin. Today's been a really good building day

Here is Clive entering his shed. :laugh:

_64013668_64013621.jpg

You are making good progress with the build. :classic:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks Alasdair :thumbup:

As often is the case Glen, I can't say I'm entirely sure what you mean :classic: I think something's got lost in translation and unfortunately I can't find my Australian-English / English-Australian Dictionary :classic:

Dust my boy. How, praise be to Dog, is the contraption going to either function or even appear correct when you've skipped lego's virtual DNA/building blocks? Sure, you can sprinkle some on after the fact, but lego knows man, and it'll never fall for such a ruse.

Do you ned me to post you some? I'll see if i can get a postcard fullblown smudgy and hoik it off in your general direction once cocoabunnychicken fest is done with. Don't bother stripping it down just yet but i can't guarantee it'll spread homogenously.

Dust my boy. How, praise be to Dog, is the contraption going to either function or even appear correct when you've skipped lego's virtual DNA/building blocks? Sure, you can sprinkle some on after the fact, but lego knows man, and it'll never fall for such a ruse.

Do you ned me to post you some? I'll see if i can get a postcard fullblown smudgy and hoik it off in your general direction once cocoabunnychicken fest is done with. Don't bother stripping it down just yet but i can't guarantee it'll spread homogenously.

Dust. Dust you say? No, no, no, no, no... You'll not find any of that on my builds, dust's not allowed in my shed :classic:

No wonder I could not find the thread ... as it changed name. Though I'm pleasantly surprized with the progress. We all (most) try to finish the build in one session only. However, watching your progress, I wonder if we all got it wrong. My next set, I'll try to do one sub-system a day and see how long I can make it last.

As for the english-to-english dictionary, reminds me of a while back I stayed in Canada, and the saying there goes along:

1- What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? ... Trilingual

2- What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? ... Bilingual

3- What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? ... Canadian of British descent ... ;)

Edited by DrJB

Great new thread Grum. And good progress.

I thought I was making pretty good progress until I see a picture of a certain 8yr old with the 42052 he built in just a few hours :wacko:

Thanks Paul :classic:

...As for the english-to-english dictionary, reminds me of a while back I stayed in Canada, and the saying there goes along:

1- What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages? ... Trilingual

2- What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages? ... Bilingual

3- What do you call someone who speaks 1 language? ... Canadian of British descent ... ;)

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by grum64

Build Day 8 - Days build time 7hrs / Total build time 33hrs 40mins

After a fun filled Easter Weekend it was back to building today and after having an appointment cancelled at the last minute I had more time to build.

Looking at the pics I think I made pretty good use of the extra time, getting far more done than I anticipated. Thankfully there were no real problems to speak off.

The eagle eyed amongst you will have noticed from the photos that the gear with the rear rotor attachment points and the tail are missing. I have made the assemblies but didn't fit them as I've had need to lay the model on it's side several times to fit other parts and didn't want them getting in the way or breaking apart. I'll fit them when I've done everything else. Also, the stickers on the panels of the 'engine' are the wrong places. This will be rectified tomorrow.

One more day should, I repeat should, have this finished.

Today's progress.

IMG_0206.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

Edited by grum64

Hey Grum nice progress so far. Just a small note the 7L beams on top of the helicopter should be black like in this picture

http://www.brickshel...6_detail_3.jpeg

Edit by Hinckley: Your image is too large. Please resize before posting. Thank you.

From our Site Guidelines:

Images: Don't post images that are over 1,024 x 768 (or 768 x 1,024 for pictures with a portrait orientation) or are LEGO confidential. Images rarely need to be over 800 x 600, and any that are over 1MB (including GIFs) are not allowed unless there is admin approval. BMPs are never allowed. Avatar images should be 100 x 100 (and under 20k if hosted on EB), and may not be more than 400 x 400 (and 100k, even if hosted remotely). No animated GIFs are to be used as avatars. Before registering, please familiarize yourself with these tutorials to learn how to reduce your own images. Also, when quoting, don't quote images unless it is specifically needed. This just fills up posts with repeat images for no reason.

Hey Grum nice progress so far. Just a small note the 7L beams on top of the helicopter should be black...

Thank you.

Yes, I know the lift arms you talk about are meant to be black. There are 2 possible explanations for this. Either:

1. I've used the black 7L lift arms somewhere in the build when I should have used grey.

2. I bought the set used & the previous owner might have replaced the 2 blacks with the grey for some reason.

Now, I prefer to think it's the latter but between you and me, it's more like to be the former. Just don't tell anyone.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Much appreciated.

Edited by grum64

Great progress Clive and nice pictures :thumbup: I like very much new headline for this thread and the sign (1st picture) is just awesome!

Great progress Clive and nice pictures :thumbup: I like very much new headline for this thread and the sign (1st picture) is just awesome!

Thank you. Actually, I didn't give the topic it's new name, all credit for that must go to Jim :thumbup:

Build Day 9 - Days build time 2hrs 30mins / Total build time 36hrs 10mins

After 9 days and a total building time of 36hours 10minutes the 9396 is now complete.

I've really enjoyed this build. It's been difficult on occasions and frequently frustrating but even so it's never been anything less than fun.

Personally I think it's a good looking model, the red & yellow look good together and in my opinion make the 42052 Heavy Lift look quite bland.

The model has plenty of features, more than enough to keep Jake & George happy for a good while. I've added the PF's to it so that should add to their fun.

Thank you for all of your comments. Your continued support and encouragement mean a great deal.

If it's not going to seen as overkill and not pushing my luck too far, I'll post a WIP of my next build on these pages soon.

Thanks again.

Here's the final pics.

IMG_0222.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

You'll notice a sticker missing from the left side 'engine' cowl. I damaged it whilst swapping the panels over following yesterday's mistake. I've a couple of spare sticker sheets so will replace it when I can get one hunted out.

Also, I've just noticed from the pics that I've knocked the connector that guides the winch string off the axle that holds it. I'll put it back in place tomorrow.

Hey wow, nice to see that you have finished 9396 and even more that you enjoyed to build it :thumbup: I like that original color scheme (+ stickers) also very much, it's almost as nice as my red and black one :wink: Those functions in helicopter are very nicely done and working, and as you said PF makes them even better, I'm sure that Jake and George just love to play with it :classic: Now I wait what you'll build next, this is just pure fun to follow and comment your builds :sweet: Thanks for this one Clive and happy times with next one!

I know you said that this is not intended to be a review, but reading it is helpful in a same way, when I'm considering whether to buy this set or not. So thank you for taking the time to write this, and thank you for the great photos.

Edited by Beard

Hey wow, nice to see that you have finished 9396 and even more that you enjoyed to build it :thumbup: I like that original color scheme (+ stickers) also very much, it's almost as nice as my red and black one :wink: Those functions in helicopter are very nicely done and working, and as you said PF makes them even better, I'm sure that Jake and George just love to play with it :classic: Now I wait what you'll build next, this is just pure fun to follow and comment your builds :sweet: Thanks for this one Clive and happy times with next one!

Hi Jari

Thank you very much for your very kind comments.

As for my next build, it's a departure from the norm, for me anyway, as it's a brick build, something that I've avoided until recently. Up until a few weeks ago the only brick builds I'd done were the small Police sets that Jake had broken and begged me to fix. That was several years ago and repairing those few little sets led to me taking up Lego. Since then I've avoided brick builds as I found even those little sets so much more difficult than the Technic I build now.

About 6-8 weeks ago I bought a box of loose Lego and found an instruction book for a 8156 Ferrari FXX at the bottom of the box. After sorting through all the parts I found I had a complete set so I decided to try & build it. Cutting a long story short, once I'd built it I hunted down other Racers 1/17 sets and managed to buy very cheaply the 8652 Ferrai Enzo, 8671 Ferrari F430 Spider and 8214 Lamborghini Polizia. I also built the 8654 Scuderia Ferrari Race Truck (most of these sets I've now sold to go towards the BWE, Claas and possibly the Porche when they become available)

Seeing that I'd built these my family bought me a couple of sets for my birthday that I've wanted since I first saw them but never did buy partly due to them being brick and partly because Technic sets got in the way.

One of those two sets will be my next build.

I know you said that this is not intended to be a review, but reading it is helpful in a same way, when I'm considering whether to buy this set or not. So thank you for taking the time to write this, and thank you for the great photos.

I'm neither eloquent or knowledgable enough to write reviews. That I leave to those far more qualified than I to do.

I'm pleased that my often inane ramblings have helped you in your decision to buy this set or not. For what it's worth I think if do you have the chance to buy this set I'd recommend that you do. It's a really good build experience and when built, an impressive showpiece.

As for the photos, I've now taken to using a selfie stick held in my teeth and the model on the floor of my shed. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Thank you for your very kind comments.

Edited by grum64