1 minute ago, grum64 said:

Hi Igor I hope you’re OK.

The faulty receiver has been replaced albeit the hard way. Finding one wasn’t a problem as I have plenty. Believe it or not I read the post through before submitting but didn’t notice the larger text.

Good evening Clive,

I'm OK, just worrying a bit on speculating by sellers who does not understand bases of economy but they are worshipping Juno Moneta. I'm just brainstorming on another Fastrac; sometimes browsers are playing nuts indeed...

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

I'm just brainstorming on another Fastrac

That’s great to hear. I look forward to seeing it progress

34 minutes ago, grum64 said:

That’s great to hear. I look forward to seeing it progress

You can see here 

Last update was posted yesterday, but today I made small changes to the rear. Pity that Lego doesn't produce defender rims in yellow and 94mm tractor tires. There is rechargible battery box from Lego which could enable sturdier construction, but my wallet says to much :laugh:

Kind regards my friend and greetings to all your family members.

Edited by 1gor

Just an update on 42070’s non working hook raise/lower function.

May I suggest you find a comfortable seat because herein lies a tale.

I’d suspected the reason for the problem was my less than delicate handling of the build during construction dislodging the 3L axle/8T gear that engages with the diff going through the turntable.

I’d had a quick look with the model propped up and could see that the yellow connector was turning but couldn’t see much else. The next day, with torch in mouth, I could see what the problem was and it wasn’t the dislodged gear/axle. I knew this because there was no 8T gear/3L axle. I’m clever like that.

After much head scratching and gnashing of teeth…

Way back when I first started building this set I remember getting to step 193, putting gear on axle and putting it in place. I gave it a test and it rotated as as it should but when it came to a stop I noticed the 8T gear was split so needed replacing. I removed said gear & axle. But this I'd been building for several hours and was tired so left it to sort out the next day. I'm sure you can work out the rest.

Anyway, fast forward a few months.

Making use of a lull in the hot weather and a much cooler shed I started removing a ‘few’ parts…

D84-DB0-F2-D59-F-48-CD-B54-E-D6-DCB79-AC

… but couldn't remove the final axle holding the turntable assembly in place as the outriggers, retracted or extendend, didn't allow room for my hands and a another axle to push it out. Not wanting to remove the outriggers I’d have to make do with pivoting the assembly up to put the 3L axle/8T gear in place.

47368646-C024-4967-B7-F5-C6-A1-FA3-C6-F5

This seemed like a good idea at the time but when pivoting up the assembly, the vertical 5.5L axle that serves as the cranes rotation stop flipped out of the axle & pin connector securing it and the diff, along with connector and axle, flew out. Bugger.

7-D49-C6-B4-CDD2-4-A85-9823-AC41115-C95-

So, to summarise. What we have here is a self made cock up on a scale not seen since Thomas Farriner decided to 'give them another 10 minutes' that’s going to take me almost as long to put right as it took to build the whole thing.

Oh well, it’ll keep me busy and if nothing else it gives me an escape from the endless wokedom plaguing the UK. Every cloud…

Edited by grum64
Spelling. Grammar.

Clive, the way you turn every misadventure into a funny, compelling story is just priceless :laugh: I hope you take up writing eventually.

5 hours ago, suffocation said:

Clive, the way you turn every misadventure into a funny, compelling story is just priceless :laugh: I hope you take up writing eventually.

Thank you. That really is very kind. My whole life’s been one enjoyable misadventure after another for which I neither have the time or talent to write about. To be honest I’m not sure it’d be printable if I did 😇.

Hello My Friends

I’m very pleased to say that the odyssey that the 42070 build has turned out to be is, at long last, over. It’s finished.

I started building quite some time ago but our local hospital decided to have me go live with them for a couple of months before I got chance to finish it. I’d have taken it with me but building while laying flat on my back would have hampered things somewhat. I’ve tried. Didn’t end well. 

Building has had a few frustrations. Besides the hook raise/lower problem (oh, the embarrassment 🫣), the size of the build did make it a tad tricky at times when moving it about & when trying to fit parts/assemblies. The outriggers, especially the rear ones, kept ‘snagging’ on the surface of my table and with so much still to be built after their fitting, the chassis (not the strongest I’ve ever seen) kept flexing when fitting the parts so I spent lot of time putting opened joints back together.

I normally download the instructions (.pdf) before I start building and, using Goodreader, make notes, changes to the build order etc to make things easier for myself. If I’d have done this I’d have left building the outrigger legs until later in the build and saved myself a great deal of aggravation but…. Stupid 🙄.

Frustrations aside, building this set has an been an enjoyable experience, particularly the gearbox which I found, like all Lego gearboxes, very interesting. I like to spend a while trying to trace the ‘route’ through the gearbox each function will take. 

It’s only been round the garden and up & down the ramp to my shed a few times but it seems to drive well, if a little slowly but the turning circle’s hardly reminiscent of my Dads’ Triumph Heralds from childhood, more like the oil tankers I once worked on.

The other functions work well. My only gripe is the switches, they’re extremely stiff to operate but that might just be me. Mr Universe I am not. My Daughter in Law calls me Noodle Arms (amongst other things). You work it out 🤨.

I’ll be coming back to the 42070 sometime in the future to fill in load bay, the gaps around the cabin, add a hinged roof section to cover the battery box and do something about the flimsy look of the jib.

Here’s a few pics.

A7441-AEC-416-A-4047-83-CD-015-BBCD1-DAC

1-A6-EF334-850-E-4456-A4-E5-BA726813-B65

C466-B5-E3-A315-4-B75-9-C08-D33625-D8-D4

01-F64-E6-A-E8-C1-4-C55-AF47-61650-D26-E

F2-F8-A5-C9-9-B41-4120-AB37-B88-B4-B9-AA

F3-A6-EFF1-4208-4872-8-E88-53965-D21-D69

Edited by grum64

Well done Grum! This is a pretty tough build in places - I always struggle with fitting the wheels on this 🐕 and the less said about mounting those frickin' outriggers, the better, so props to you for getting there in the end. Nice to hear you praising the gearbox as well - this set is really quite cool and gets way more flak than it deserves. As for the stiff switches, it's not just you.

Great work!

Impressive achievement as always Grum. Seeing this is a pretty old set by now I can imagine your backlog runs the risk now of toppling over... What will be your next project?

21 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Well done Grum! This is a pretty tough build in places - I always struggle with fitting the wheels on this 🐕 and the less said about mounting those frickin' outriggers, the better, so props to you for getting there in the end. Nice to hear you praising the gearbox as well - this set is really quite cool and gets way more flak than it deserves. As for the stiff switches, it's not just you.

Great work!

Thank you. I agree it is little tricky in places but I like that, it makes it more of a challenge and so something to learn from.

I used to struggle getting the wheels on builds but now I put it on appropriately/approximately sized plastic tubs which makes it much easier. One problem I do have is putting the tyres on the wheels. They taste horrible.

Pleased to hear it’s not just me who finds the switches stiff to operate, I’m not such a weakling after all. Ego restored. At least until I see the Daughter in Law again 🫤.

11 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Impressive achievement as always Grum. Seeing this is a pretty old set by now I can imagine your backlog runs the risk now of toppling over... What will be your next project?

Thank you Jeroen. You’re right about the backlog. I’ve got 6 new sets to build and about the same number of older sets I want to build again, particularly the 8043 excavator and 8110 Unimog. I’ve also been thinking of building the 8675 Outdoor Challenger, 8366 Supersonic RC, 8369 Dirt Crusher and 8475 Race Buggy as I’m not sure there’s been a build topic on them. I know they’re simple builds with their own unique parts and some are essentially the same vehicle but I thought it might be interesting to see these often forgotten sets all in one place.

My next project will be the 42110 Landrover Defender. I hope to start building once the weather cools down.

Edited by grum64

2 minutes ago, 1gor said:

I look forward when project 8043 will start. :sweet:

29 minutes ago, grum64 said:

particularly the 8043 excavator

Yes, that's a nice one, also the 8043 B-model is really worth the effort!

1 hour ago, 1gor said:

I look forward when project 8043 will start. :sweet:

1 hour ago, GerritvdG said:

Yes, that's a nice one, also the 8043 B-model is really worth the effort!

I'm really looking forward to reaquainting myself with the 8043. It was the only the second Technic set I'd ever built and have fond memories of the struggle. I didn't build the B model then but will do this time around.

Great work, Clive!

I think a lot of the vitriol directed at 42070 comes from the model falling short of what it could have been - and for marking the beginning of Lego's overpricing policy.

I've shamelessly pinched quite a few ideas from the model :laugh:

Edited by suffocation

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Great work, Clive!

I think a lot of the vitriol directed at 42070 comes from the model falling short of what it could have been - and for marking the beginning of Lego's overpricing policy.

I've shamelessly pinched quite a few ideas from the model :laugh:

Thank you. like you, I understand the disappointment with this set. It’s price was a shock to say the least and selling it as an all terrain vehicle was setting it up to fail. 

Great to see you back and doing well! I always looked forward to you updates and build progress.

18 hours ago, weavil said:

Great to see you back and doing well! I always looked forward to you updates and build progress.

Thank you for your kind comments 😊

Building Days 1 ,2  & 3 / Combined Days Building Time - 9.5hrs

Hello My Friends

It’s been quite sometime since I last posted a WiP so as it’s said ‘God loves a trier’ I’m back to give it another go.

With last weekend offering a welcome respite from the recent very hot weather I took the chance to make a start on the 42110 Landrover Defender.

Mrs Grum, being the Wonderful Wife she is, bought this set for me for Christmas so it’s been on the shelf for quite a while. I’d only put off building it because I was waiting for the final iteration of the Pimped version but last week it dawned on me that I should build it ‘out of the box’ before progressing to the Pimped version so as to fully understand and appreciate the changes made by the many clever people who’ve contributed to the project. Shame I hadn’t had this realisation when I built the GT3 and Chiron. Sharp tools and boxes come to mind.

The build starts with the rear axle which I’d like to say was straight forward but that would be to ignore the Grum factor.

For reasons I still can’t understand (or come up with a plausible excuse for), instead of fitting the four 3x3 T pieces (as shown on Pic 1) I used four 1x3 Liftarms (pics accidentally deleted 🤥). I only noticed when I came to fit the four red Pins with Towball and couldn’t understand where the holes had gone. After around 5 minutes spent looking back & forth between the assembly and the instructions I noticed my error. Thankfully it was a quick fix. A repeat of the 42070 hook raise/lower debarkle I do not need. 

When building the gearbox I put a 4L Axle with Stop where a 5L Axle with Stop should have resided and vice versa which came to light when about to fit the yellow Axle and Pin Connector I found nothing to connect it to. The gearbox proved to be pretty much problem free. Other than that and becoming almost obsessional about keeping the orange Wave Selector in the correct orientation, the gearbox was pretty much problem free.

The forecast here is for more very hot weather for several days yet which means that despite Mrs Grum opening my shed doors at 6am it'll still be like a furnace in there by 9:30-10am so as I have no yearning to know how a chicken (vegetarian/vegan alternatives are available) feels shortly before Sunday lunch is served I'll get back to building when conditions allow.

Some Pics. There are quite a few so if you think there are too many please do let me know.

DA36-C461-7-EFB-4-A82-95-B7-912119835718

F4-C967-F3-02-DA-4-EC8-B3-BF-5-BC2-DB9-F

48606-F4-B-B73-A-40-A5-982-B-89-D60239-B

66666-AC8-D987-4-DEE-972-D-428129914215.

F81-D5-C77-8377-4-DA8-93-C1-CF010-F6-D4-

159282-F7-52-A3-442-E-918-D-E0-A8-E334-E

86-A50-F24-002-E-4-F39-A253-16-EE4-DB2-B

E384-C3-DB-1693-4-E98-8530-EDF0-E4536-F1

005-C22-B5-B04-E-48-EE-A46-F-41-F3-AADD8

DB1566-A9-89-B0-424-D-A117-1-AA556-ADD99

598-FC167-E11-B-47-C3-8241-C2-C831-DEE0-

C6-ABE3-DE-ADEF-4979-96-FC-B63-AC2109-ED

2-E07-B13-C-195-F-452-F-B2-BD-8-E1044730

Edited by grum64
Corrected photo order.

Building Days 4 & 5 / Building Time - 7hrs / Total Building Time - 16.5hrs

The rear axle’s now done so that’s the contents all bags numbered 1 done with.

I’m happy to say that other than a shock absorber going flying while I was trying to fit it, sending it Exocet like through the cab of my Ultimate 42009 and knocking both driver (Jack Stone) and Gollum (don’t ask) out through the windscreen, these two build sessions have been free from mistakes.

Whilst on the subject of mistakes. As you may know I made a couple of really stupid ones during the previous build sessions for which I had no excuse for however, after a great deal of (creative) thought, I’ve decided that Bill Bryson is to blame. Bear with me with this one.

You see, I don’t like building in silence so I always have BBC Radio 2 on. With this on dear old Ken Bruce or Steve Wright can burble away, my concentration completely unaffected. But a few weeks ago with interference making the radio unlistenable I put on a Bill Bryson audio book, notably The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. I’ve always enjoyed Mr Bryson’s writings and this one particularly so. A brilliant and entertaining mix of fact, masterful exaggeration & humour that garnered my attention for much of the time I was building and it’s this that I’m using as an excuse for my errors and as it’s the only one I can come up that’s even remotely plausible it’s what I’m sticking with.

8-EBE1023-FD47-4416-AA68-4-F3219-FE7514.

10-AF7-CB4-4-F53-4195-A2-F6-672851-C3399

DB5-BDBB0-39-F6-40-C2-B457-AE767-F60-F48

1-BBBFD21-0810-48-C9-BC32-296558383-EEF.

3-C6-AF2-C9-A0-E6-48-D2-9420-98-AE6597-F

630-C1-BED-9-AD4-4-C10-9124-5-F501-C64-D

EBF44929-7-EC6-4-CBC-8627-22-ADEB46737-D

3-FAE2-DEA-5254-451-C-9-FE3-7767694-C299

777-B1692-B033-4-A9-D-9-A37-D185-EE703-C

929-D4310-079-F-47-D7-B17-B-6-F9304-EBEC

9-AE4-A43-F-312-E-42-F6-8898-F0-A2266432

2657-B444-1-D0-A-4-C4-F-A858-3-CDB8528-A
Edited by grum64
Spelling

45 minutes ago, grum64 said:
But a few weeks ago with interference making the radio unlistenable I put on a Bill Bryson audio book, notably The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

I have that book in print form! It's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

16 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I have that book in print form! It's one of the funniest things I've ever read.

It is.

I didn’t mean the post to be a book review but reading it back I realise that’s more or less what it turned out to be. When all goes well when building I struggle to write anything and as I just write down what comes into my head without planning, reading it through or editing it before posting I guess waffling happens. I need to try and change that and stick to writing about building however few or numerous the word count.

Building Days 6 & 7 / Building Time - 9hrs / Total Building Time - 26.5hrs

It’s been an interesting and enjoyable build so far and I think I’m making pretty good progress.

I’m not sure about the engine setup used in this set. I first came across this type of engine when building the 42123 McLaren Senna and while I wasn’t particularly keen on it I could understand it being used in a build of that size & scale. In a build of the Defenders size I’d have preferred the regular piston & block setup and in my opinion that’s what I think it should have. A V6 or V8 would look much better and I think that's what I'll put in it. I might be wrong but from what I can work out both should fit with no or at least minimal changes around it.

Here’s the pictures

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

img

IIRC, I put in a V6 using standard Lego pistons when building this without too much difficulty. 
There was a bit of shenanigans to get the input for the drivetrain to mesh well. 
My impression is that the standard Lego cylinders are a bit too large to be realistic at this scale. The 1 stud/axle scale used here may be close to the true cylinder scale, but exposed in the ‘fake engine’ used here it feels / looks too small to me. 
Using standard Lego cylinders fills up the engine compartment in a way that is aesthetically pleasing, to me at least.