It's very good to read you're planning to resume the fun! :thumbup:

Edited by allanp

@grum64 the most important thing is that you and your family are ok and nothing else matters 

Thank you all. I’m truly humbled by your very kind words.

I’ll be back very soon.

Great to see you returned! I love reading your "lego-blogs" here, with your sometimes unusual thoughts on sets and technics used in them :thumbup:

Warning. Contains waffling. Those who expected anything else go to the back of the class!

Today I went out to my shed to check everything was OK as I’d not been out there for far more months than I want to think about, I was confronted by a white sheet covering my build table. Turns out Jake, bless him, had been over and covered it while I was in hospital. When the sheet was removed I was surprised to find a mostly built 42070. I’d clean forgotten I’d started it and decided to have an hour or so buildIng.

While trying to push an axle into a bush (no, that’s not a euphemism) something happened resulting in the build ending up on it’s side.

Sitting there trying to fathom what the heck just happened I noticed that there was something different about the two liftarms (32009] that support the front bulbar. There looked to be ‘indentations’ on the middle section of each one. It’s said a picture saves a thousand words and because by the time I’ve explained things there’ll certainly be far more than that, I took a couple photos.

20220624-153742.jpg

20220624-153850.jpg

I’m pretty sure the part will turn out to be one that’s completely passed me by and every man and his dog is aware of but I’ve been through all of mine and looked, albeit quickly, on Bricklink etc, reviews & numerous other places and I can’t find this liftarm with these ‘indents’ anywhere. So I’m left wondering, is this a mould fault or something that’s somehow eluded my attention?

This is going to drive me nuts so any help would be much appreciated.
Edited by grum64
Spelling

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be straight. Might be manufacturing, might have happened afterwards?

Certainly looks like a reject, I recently encountered some poorly molded tires, requiring replacement as well.

Not sure how that could happen so perfectly though, looks like the mold pulled apart before the plastic could properly set.

Edited by Johnny1360

18 hours ago, pleegwat said:

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be straight. Might be manufacturing, might have happened afterwards?

18 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Looks like a moulding error.

17 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Certainly looks like a reject, I recently encountered some poorly molded tires, requiring replacement as well.

Not sure how that could happen so perfectly though, looks like the mold pulled apart before the plastic could properly set.

I thought it might be something like that but having two parts with identically perfect ‘imperfections’ made me wonder otherwise so thought I’d ask just to be sure.

Thank you very much for taking the time to satisfy my curiosity.

Edited by grum64
Grammar

You are toooooooo strong Clive and bend it with your mind:wink:.

Great to see your back building again buddy.

I know it's been hot in the UK recently... :tongue:

It is interesting to have two mould errors in a single set. Wonder if it was a single moulding issue or if there are bucket load of parts out there with this error.

Ian...

On 6/27/2022 at 10:51 AM, Pvdb said:

Great to see you are back Grum.  

Thank you Paul. I’ll drop you a WA in the next few days.

On 6/27/2022 at 8:54 PM, Fuzzock said:

.. It is interesting to have two mould errors in a single set. Wonder if it was a single moulding issue or if there are bucket load of parts out there with this error.

Ian...

I couldn’t find any reports of this anywhere which is why I thought it might have been a new part that I’d missed being introduced.
It’s obviously a moulding error but as far as I’m aware, when the parts have been moulded they drop into ‘crates’ of individual colours and are stored until needed. There has to be more out here somewhere because if not what are the odds that these two ‘imperfect’ parts end up in the one box.

I think I’ll buy a lottery ticket. You know, just in case.

3 hours ago, grum64 said:

I think I’ll buy a lottery ticket. You know, just in case.

lol!

After my recent Lego shopping I feel that I should do the same!! :blush:

Ian...

4 hours ago, Fuzzock said:

lol!

After my recent Lego shopping I feel that I should do the same!! :blush:

Ian...

What did you buy..  spill the beans...

Hello My Friends

I was hoping to start building the Land Rover Defender (out of box build with the Pimped build to follow later) this week but finishing the 42070 has derailed things somewhat.

A (reasonably) quick explanation.

As is good practice when building, I checked all functions etc as I went along and happily all worked as they should. However, once the build was finished and I turned the model on, nothing at all worked. Turned out the receiver was faulty which was annoying because changing it meant getting it’s cable out from the rear of the cab etc and the new receiver’s cable back through to the battery box which embarrassingly took a whole afternoon. Yes, I could have just removed the side of the cab and made things a whole lot easier for myself but I didn’t because, well… stupid.

Once the receiver was changed I tried again. Steering and drive, fine. Outriggers, fine. Crane rotation and jib raise & lower, fine. Hook raise & lower, not fine. All that happened was the motor whirred. Hmmm…

Using Power Puller tyres to prop the right side of the truck at an angle so I could see what was going on within the chassis. I could see the vertical yellow connector below the turntable assembly was turning but there was no movement above it. In my ‘manhandling’ during building I must somehow have managed to dislodge the axle that goes from the top of the connector. Oh dear, says I.

As things are at the moment, I’ve removed the crane and am hoping to just remove the diff that sits in the turntable to get at the axle but I don’t think it’ll come out (if any of you know different please do let me know) so may have to remove the turntable etc. With this to do & getting everything back together and with the furnace like weather making my shed far too hot to be in it’s likely to be at least a week before I can start the Defender. I’m really gutted but these things happen.

My apologies but normal, and I use normal in its loosest sense, services will resume as soon as is possible.

Edited by grum64
Text size. Punctuation.

@grum64 important is that you find the reason for faulty behavior. Question is how do you plan to replace faulty receiver? Buy one over bricklink? About bigger letters; you know it could be worse when autocorrect (that can't be disabled on mobile phone) invents new words :laugh:

The most important is that you are healthy and have fun in this difficult times

23 minutes ago, 1gor said:

@grum64 important is that you find the reason for faulty behavior. Question is how do you plan to replace faulty receiver? Buy one over bricklink? About bigger letters; you know it could be worse when autocorrect (that can't be disabled on mobile phone) invents new words :laugh:

The most important is that you are healthy and have fun in this difficult times

Hi Igor I hope you’re OK.

The faulty receiver has been replaced albeit the hard way. Finding one wasn’t a problem as I have plenty. Believe it or not I read the post through before submitting but didn’t notice the larger text.