@grum64 I stand by it! I'm one of those people who take a build apart almost as soon as it's completed. It's usually so quick that there's no time to document the process. 

2 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

@grum64 I stand by it! I'm one of those people who take a build apart almost as soon as it's completed. It's usually so quick that there's no time to document the process. 

Where as I find building quite easy I find taking models apart extremely difficult. The only models I've taken completely apart were the 8674 Ferrari F1 and the 8110 UniMog. Each took me longer to dismantle than too build.

7 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

@grum64 You'd have to come up with a while new set of tools and methods to speed it up - something like the Grum Yank instead of the Grum Knock. 

:sweet:.

7 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

@grum64 You'd have to come up with a while new set of tools and methods to speed it up - something like the Grum Yank instead of the Grum Knock. 

I rarely use the Lego separator tool as its not very useful for studless lego parts.

To separate parts when dismantling a build I use:-

A old screwdriver with a 2mm diam. shaft with the end ground down to a point to push axles out and ease sections apart.

A small craft knife using the sharp edge to open up the gap between parts, a slight twist then opens the gap further.

Taking your time and with care parts are not damaged.

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, grum64 said:

I bought this set used and the previous owner had very carefully disassembled everything but the tracks so yesterday I spent 25 minutes taking them apart, had a quick coffee and spent another 55 minutes putting them back together. Yes, I could have saved myself a lot of time and would likely have finished the build today had I used them as I found them but everytime I looked at the finished model sitting on the shelf I'd have thought 'I built that... with the exception of the tracks'. I just couldn't do it. If I'm going to build something I'm going to build it all.

I wish track changes in the real world were this easy, mind you once its time to change tracks and final drives it more than time to sell the machine.. mind you my two are high hours but low impact use and certainly don't do the amount of track walking.. family photo for ya Grum..

800x459.jpg

11 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I wish track changes in the real world were this easy, mind you once its time to change tracks and final drives it more than time to sell the machine.. mind you my two are high hours but low impact use and certainly don't do the amount of track walking.. family photo for ya Grum..

800x459.jpg

As my 'chair's propelled by wheels I don't have much call for the changing of tracks etc. There are a few 'chairs with tracks. (Google Tankchair) Good for the wide open spaces of the US or suchlike but not really suited to the streets of Cambridge.

My Dad worked in a lime quarry for several years driving a D8 loading his truck and then taking the load to a cement works a few miles away. He never spoke well of the track changing process.

Thanks for the picture.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 9 - Building time 1hrs 50mins - Total build time 27hrs 40mins

It’s that time again when I have to say goodbye to another build. It’s been a really enjoyable building experience helped by it being one of my top 5 sets.

As BusterHaus pointed out a few posts back, the artwork on the box gives little idea of the finished models size. It’s much bigger than you expect it to be, it has real presence and an air of solidity about it. It looks quite imposing sitting on the table.

As for the functions, the blade and ripper work well as does the drive but because the XL motors are connected straight to the drive spocket it has a turn of speed that comes as a surprise. Having built this before you’d have thought I’d have remembered this and to be fair I did, just as it sped towards the edge of the table! I managed to stop & catch it in time but not before all but the ripper was in mid air. I only just caught & held on to it in my less than vice like grip (there's a reason my Daughter in Law calls me noodle arms). The ripper catching on the edge of the table was the only thing that stopped it heading for the floor. I was so relieved, I didn't want a repeat of the BWE digging arm incident.

On the subject of functions. I've added a second controller so diffferent functions can be operated together. It makes Bully so much simpler to control. With just one it's drive, stop, switch channel, blade down, stop, switch channel, drive, stop, switch channel, blade up etc etc etc. For the life of me I don't understand why LEGO didn't include an extra controller. It wouldn't have added much to the overall price. 

Speed aside, the 8275 has got a bit of grunt. On the carpet in my shed it pushed a plastic box across the floor with two 500ml water bottles in it. Pushing the same on the wooden floors in our house it just resulted in the tracks spinning. I have load of 24375 rubber studs that I meant to fit on the tracks before fitting them but I clean forgot. The set's far more playable with them on as they really improve its grip. I'll fit them soon.

Not sure what my next build will be yet. We're spending the next week or so rearranging my shed so I'll have plenty of time to decide.

As always, a big thank you for you kind comments and support. 

20181021_152525.jpg

20181021_154934.JPG

20181021_160832.jpg

20181021_164705.jpg

IMG_4983.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5118.jpg

1540230586437_IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5246.jpg

IMG_5279.jpg

Congratulations on finishing it and for sharing the progress once again. Your choice to revisit these older sets gets a huge thumbs up from me - I never built these sets, and in all likelihood never will. Watching your progress and updates is a close substitute. 

16 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Congratulations on finishing it and for sharing the progress once again. Your choice to revisit these older sets gets a huge thumbs up from me - I never built these sets, and in all likelihood never will. Watching your progress and updates is a close substitute. 

That’s very kind, thank you Bart. It’s encouragement like yours that keeps me revisiting sets from years gone by.

Those older sets I have were all bought when used LEGO sets were being sold very cheap. I was lucky to find many sets at bargain basement prices increasing my collection rapidly within just a few years. I don’t spend the hours scouring the ‘net like I used to but on the odd occasion I have had a look bargains appear to be very few and far between.

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Bully's an impressive beast! Top notch job, Grum! Something to be really proud of right there.

Thank you my Friend.

Wow! That is great! Bully looks great and very functional. Great job.

Andy D

8 hours ago, Andy D said:

Wow! That is great! Bully looks great and very functional. Great job.

Andy D

Thanks Andy. I’m really pleased with it. Being one of my favourites it’s good to have it built and on the shelf.

Build Day 1 - Building time 3hrs 40mins - Total build time 3hrs 40mins

Having spent the last few weeks sorting through boxes of spare parts to get them into some semblence of order there's been no time for building but with four 50L boxes done and another nine 80L boxes of assorted parts sold, the job was done so I can get back to builing.

All this time I've been trying to decide what to build next. The list was long but after much deliberation the choice came down to the 42056 GT3, 42083 Chiron, 42043 Actros, 42078 Mack and 42069 Extreme Adventure. Not being able to decide it came down to which set was easier to get to and that was the GT3. 

Having been through the pages of this forum, reading just about everything there is about the set, it's obvious it's a terrific set but flawed. With that in mind I'm going to have a go at jb70's Pimped version as it addresses most of the critcisms. A big thank you to jb70 for making the instructions and to all those whose ideas he incorporated.

With the big sort out completed it was quick & easy to collect together all the necessary extra parts and today I was able make a start so, although there's not much progress, here are todays pictures.

IMG_5444.jpg

IMG_5461.JPG

IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

Edited by grum64

I'm really happy that you're doing the "pimp up my porsche". I've always wanted to see the changes close up and now you've allowed me to so thank you!

Can't wait for more progress :laugh:

Nothing beats building with LEGO after a long sorting session, doesn't it?

Seeing these 'older' models being built up again is an added charm to this thread I find. It makes me relive those sets again.:thumbup:

On 12/10/2018 at 11:06 PM, allanp said:

YAAAAAAY another build has begun :moar:

Yes. Sorry about that :ugh:

On 12/12/2018 at 11:19 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I'm really happy that you're doing the "pimp up my porsche". I've always wanted to see the changes close up and now you've allowed me to so thank you!

Can't wait for more progress :laugh:

Although I’m not a big Porsche fan I bought the 42056 shortly after it was released. After reading the reports of it’s ‘flaws’ and then seeing the Pimped version coming together I decided to hold off building it until the MODs were complete.

I’m using my iPad to take the photos as it seems to take brighter, clearer pictures than my mobile so the differences between original and Pimped build should be easier to see. I say should.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:35 PM, Jeroen Ottens said:

Nothing beats building with LEGO after a long sorting session, doesn't it?

Seeing these 'older' models being built up again is an added charm to this thread I find. It makes me relive those sets again.:thumbup:

It is good to be back building as the sort out took much longer than I thought but selling a few boxes did speed up the process. The thing I’m really enjoying about the Pimped build is the ‘old style’ instructions where you have to observe and think rather than there being four pages showing how to assemble 6 pieces as seems to be the modern way.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Build Day 2 - Building time 4hrs 15mins - Total build time 7hrs 55mins

Despite having over 4hrs to build today I’ve not made anywhere near the progress I had in my mind to make. The reason for the lack of progress can be summed up in just two words. Rubber bands!

Trying to get those two innocuous little white bands over both of the 2L liftarms with half pins that make up the gear block took nigh on 3hrs! Using my clamps I’d get one side on, gently turn the assembly over and stretch the band up and over that sides part. I’d turn the the assembly back over to do the next one only to find the first had come off and that’s how it continued. That and, while stretching the bands, catapulting the whole assembly every which way.

Now, I’m not one for bad language, don’t get me wrong I’m no Mr Righteous, I just don’t like it and very, very rarely use it but today, with three quarters of my building time spent trying to stretch those bands into place (and with my clamps somehow cutting though 5 along the way), there were a few times when the air was turned a very dark shade of blue indeed.

Today’s Pictures.

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5517.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5606.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Build Day 3 - Building time 4hrs 35mins - Total build time 12hrs 30mins

None of those pesky rubber bands to hold things up today so I’ve made decent progress.

As you can see, the gearbox is together. Bear in mind that I’m not particularly aufait with these things but looking at it against the original instructions the Pimped gearbox does look less ‘fussy’. That’s about as technical as you’re going to get from me. Yes, no rambling. Call it an early Christmas present.

One thing I’ve been careful to ensure is that all axles, gears etc have a some slack, just a little, to allow as friction free rotation as possible. The last thing I want is to complete the build and find something not working as it should just because something’s been fitted too tight.

The next major assembly to build is the improved paddle shift unit by Didumos69 which I’m really looking forward to. All being well it should be tomorrow.

Here’s today’s pictures.

IMG_5687.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg

IMG_5760.jpg

IMG_5776.jpg

Looking really good! I bought the Porsche quite early on myself and built it from original instructions, with only Crowkillers' fix for the gear sequence. Got it to run pretty smooth by taking the same precaution as you, triplechecking every axle and gearmesh before moving further. But looking at your build, I feel I have to do an attempt at the pimped version as well. Especially the gearbox area looks way different and more interesting compared to the original. Keep up the good work, once finished you will have an excellent display piece, and one that is working flawless as well! It was a magnet to my kids, your grandchildren will love it as well I'm sure:classic:

Edited by Rudivdk

12 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Looking really good! I bought the Porsche quite early on myself and built it from original instructions, with only Crowkillers' fix for the gear sequence. Got it to run pretty smooth by taking the same precaution as you, triplechecking every axle and gearmesh before moving further. But looking at your build, I feel I have to do an attempt at the pimped version as well. Especially the gearbox area looks way different and more interesting compared to the original. Keep up the good work, once finished you will have an excellent display piece, and one that is working flawless as well! It was a magnet to my kids, your grandchildren will love it as well I'm sure:classic:

Thank you. It's getting there, slowly, but I'm quite pleased with progress so far. 

It's been interesting to compare the stages of this build with the original instructions and see the differences between the two versions and how the improvements have been made. In doing so I came across something unusual (to me anyway).

In the screenshots below the parts indicated by the red arrows aren't fixed onto anything from below but rather 'float' and are secured by the pieces above as indicated by the blue arrows. Other than steering racks & Outriggers I'm pretty sure this is something I've not come across this before.

Porsche%2B911%2BGT3%2BRS%2B-%2BPimped%2B

I'm pleased I chose to build this version. If I'd have built the set in its original form I think I'd have regretted it. A lot of people put a great deal of time and effort into coming up with the various Mods so I reckon the least I can do is build it. Between them they've made the GT3 what it should have been in the first place, not just a display piece but as you say, a more playable set that our Grandchildren can have a great deal of fun with (especially when the Chiron gets built).

Apologises for my pictures not really showing the changes very well. It's a tad difficult to take pictures as I'm back to building on my laptray while my shed is being used by Santa as a temporary place to store presents.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:36 PM, grum64 said:

Trying to get those two innocuous little white bands over both of the 2L liftarms with half pins that make up the gear block took nigh on 3hrs! Using my clamps I’d get one side on, gently turn the assembly over and stretch the band up and over that sides part. I’d turn the the assembly back over to do the next one only to find the first had come off and that’s how it continued. That and, while stretching the bands, catapulting the whole assembly every which way.

Now, I’m not one for bad language, don’t get me wrong I’m no Mr Righteous, I just don’t like it and very, very rarely use it but today, with three quarters of my building time spent trying to stretch those bands into place (and with my clamps somehow cutting though 5 along the way), there were a few times when the air was turned a very dark shade of blue indeed.

I am so sorry ?. I hope the end result compensates a little for this demoralization.

I enjoy your writings ?. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I am so sorry ?. I hope the end result compensates a little for this demoralization.

I enjoy your writings ?. Thanks!

I’ve never been one to get demoralised about anything but those bands, now they came close :sceptic:.

As for enjoying my ramblings. You’re very kind. Thank you :classic:

Edited by grum64