3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Bloody hell, Grum - it took you three hours to build an engine? That's usually the part I do quickest, if only because it's so damn boring. Granted, though, I've never done anything bigger than a V6. :laugh: 

Good to see you're progressing, and well done for finding Bully! :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind comments.

Yep, 3hrs. I’m not sure if that makes means I’m just stubborn or insane :wink:. Gilly would’ve done it, she asked numerous times bless her, but where’s the satisfaction in somebody else doing it?

Bully is safe & well and on the table in my shed awaiting its turn to be built.

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

Wow! Great progress! It looks like you will be done long before me. I hope to get back to it tomorrow.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. I’m pleased with progress but any more days like yesterday building the engine and you’ll be finished your 8258 and be half way through your next build before I’m finished this :classic:.

Jeez, I have a shed load to do (no pun intended) first a lot of sorting,  then 10240 ( BrickLinked for full set) and finally 8258. To many nice evenings in the garden and BBQs

I would not feel to bad grum I had finished building a engine only to find two bolts left! So I stripped it down and rebuild it again only to have the same two bolts sitting there only to suddenly realise a mate and is two yearold son had stopped by a quick phone call solved the problem 

10 hours ago, grum64 said:

Thank you Andy. I’m pleased with progress but any more days like yesterday building the engine and you’ll be finished your 8258 and be half way through your next build before I’m finished this :classic:.

You are making a big assumption here, thinking I am going to get any build time. At best I may get some time Saturday.

Andy D

7 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I would not feel to bad grum I had finished building a engine only to find two bolts left! So I stripped it down and rebuild it again only to have the same two bolts sitting there only to suddenly realise a mate and is two yearold son had stopped by a quick phone call solved the problem 

I had that years ago while rebuilding one of my bikes. Engine done, bits left over. Stripped it down, rebuilt it & still bits left over. Turned out my mate had dropped the bits into the oil bath a couple of days before for a laugh. Oh how I laughed :damn:

3 hours ago, Andy D said:

You are making a big assumption here, thinking I am going to get any build time. At best I may get some time Saturday.

Andy D

Something to look forward too. Enjoy.

I am now "almost up to your day 4 build" now. I had forgotten what a joy the outriggers were. Front outrigger built. I still say that the outriggers from the 8258 using discrete parts are much better (at least more fun to build) than the new outriggers.

Maybe I will get a little more done tomorrow. Fun to build together.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Build Day 8 - Building time 3hrs 25mins - Total build time 29hrs 30mins

I'm pleased to say that there was enough room between the tops of the seats and structures above to fit the lower cab assembly through meaning my building out of sequence didn't come back to bite me on the proverbial as it did with the BWE.

With some parts to be fitted being in hard to reach places some of today's building has been a bit tricky at times but on the whole, it's been problem free.

As you can see, the cab's now complete. Actually that's not entirely correct. You can see in the pictures that the front 'grill' has yet to fitted. The 8x4 plate that forms the back of it was warped to the point it wouldn't fit in place properly :sad:. I don't know why this was and don't have a spare but young George has a few so he's going to let me have one, bless him. We've agreed that a bag of Haribos will be a fair swap :classic:.

I was hoping to fill the holes in the cab roof but with my spare parts elsewhere it'll have to wait. At least it's something that can easily be done with the very minimum of dismantling.

The crane arm's next but I'm in two minds whether to build it on or off the truck, off would make it easier for me to build. I'll decide after I've had a good look though the instuctions.

I haven't had the old stickers removed yet. I know it would've been better to remove them prior to building but my eagerness to start got the better of me. A few are OK but you can see some are pretty far gone and don't look very nice so they've got to go. I've got a bottle of Goo Gone coming so they're days are numbered.

Thankfully we've seen the last of searingly hot weather (by UK standards) of late and that should mean I can get back in my shed. However, it would seem the sheds' position beside our carport make it a convenient place to store the chairs, tables etc used while employing said carport to escape the heat of the sun. With hot weather returning this week it looks like I'll be building in the carport or kitchen for a while yet :sceptic:.

20180728_101638.jpg

20180728_104629.jpg

20180728_105509.jpg

20180728_113052.jpg

20180728_114850.jpg

20180728_115517.jpg

20180728_122838.jpg

20180729_123243.jpg

20180729_145230.jpg

20180729_165513.jpg

Still too hot in the shed I suppose? That might have something relation to that warped plate BTW...

Looking at the last photo I just love the way the panel of the door comes together with the front-corner panel. I always felt this truck was inspired by the Scania trucks of that year. And I wondered why Uwe didn't invert the 3x7 panels at the front, because they would then give the natural curved line downwards (which is now done with stickers). But seeing how the two panels come together I finally understand his design decision.

It is really a joy to watch this build coming together. Together with the 8043 this build ranks among the highest ones I know. In fact, I think these models are at an optimum in terms of parts vs functions vs size (this one even more so than the 8043). I'll be getting the 42082 later (when the price is dropped), but I am somewhat daunted by the prospect of building (and disassembling and sorting) it. The latest massive models (Chiron, BWE, maybe even the Mercedes truck) are for me beyond the pleasure point.

So, back to this build, forgive me for my rant on the ever increasing sizes of the models, I hope you will continue to take pictures and photos while you are progressing glacially through this build.

Wow! It is starting to look like a truck. Only one problem, he staring wheel is on the "wrong" side. (VBG). At this rate I will not catch up to you.

Andy

6 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Still too hot in the shed I suppose? That might have something relation to that warped plate BTW...

Looking at the last photo I just love the way the panel of the door comes together with the front-corner panel. I always felt this truck was inspired by the Scania trucks of that year. And I wondered why Uwe didn't invert the 3x7 panels at the front, because they would then give the natural curved line downwards (which is now done with stickers). But seeing how the two panels come together I finally understand his design decision.

It is really a joy to watch this build coming together. Together with the 8043 this build ranks among the highest ones I know. In fact, I think these models are at an optimum in terms of parts vs functions vs size (this one even more so than the 8043). I'll be getting the 42082 later (when the price is dropped), but I am somewhat daunted by the prospect of building (and disassembling and sorting) it. The latest massive models (Chiron, BWE, maybe even the Mercedes truck) are for me beyond the pleasure point.

So, back to this build, forgive me for my rant on the ever increasing sizes of the models, I hope you will continue to take pictures and photos while you are progressing glacially through this build.

The high heat has gone for now meaning the shed’s a good deal cooler but until it’s been cleared of garden furniture it’s the carport for me. Temperatures are set to rise again this week so it’s not a bad thing.

I completely agree with what you say about the 8258 and the 8043. They’re amazing designs that have stood the test of time. I built the 8043 shortly after I built the 8258 and it’s functions, especially the motorised switchover of functions, blew me away. My Sister in Law has it at the moment but I’ll be building it again as soon as I get it back.

As for your (non) rant. Correct me if I’m wrong but it seems to me that the ever increasing size & part count of sets is an argument that’s been going since soon after Technic came out and looks set to go on for years to come. I guess it’s the ever evolving nature of our beloved Technic.

You can be sure that I’ll keep building & posting. I’m slow but being so means I get to enjoy the build far more than perhaps I would if I built quicker. It's taking a while but I might, just might get this one done by the time you’re back from your walk in the countryside. Hope all’s going well.

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

Wow! It is starting to look like a truck. Only one problem, he staring wheel is on the "wrong" side. (VBG). At this rate I will not catch up to you.

Andy

Thank you Andy. Yes, I have moved the steering wheel, it seemed wrong not too. Reading your comment I think you meant to say it’s now on the correct side. Don’t worry, we all make the odd typo  :wink:

Edited by grum64
Typo ☺

18 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Thank you Andy. Yes, I have moved the steering wheel, it seemed wrong not too. Reading your comment I think you meant to say it’s now on the correct side. Don’t worry, we all make the odd typo  :wink:

Ha ha, even after 20+ years abroad, the steering wheel on the right side still feels... right.

Great progress, Grum - thank you for sharing. Your photo report and commentary really show what an epic, no-frills model this is.

Thank you for your very kind words.

As for the steering, yes the right side's the right side :classic:

Just now, grum64 said:

Thank you for your very kind words.

As for the steering, yes the right side's the right side :classic:

It all depends on which side of the road you drive on... If you drive on the "wrong" side of the road, then the right side is the right side. (VBG). Really weird driving a RHD over here, I did it once and got some very confused looks.

Andy

4 minutes ago, Andy D said:

...Really weird driving a RHD over here, I did it once and got some very confused looks.

I don't have that problem. My wheelchair, much like the Mclaren F1, has a central driving position :wink:

2 minutes ago, grum64 said:

I don't have that problem. My wheelchair, much like the Mclaren F1, has a central driving position :wink:

:laugh::laugh:.

With much cooler weather forecast towards the end of the week it’s time to start preparing for building to restart.

Whilst looking ahead through the instructions I came to a stage that when I built this last time took almost two days (it’s that stubbornness thing again :cry_happy:). Not wanting history to repeat itself I thought I’d ask for a little advice.

This may stupid question but does the angle of the 2853 Crankshaft (arrowed) and black assembly have to be at the exact angles shown? I had the devils own job last time trying to get it as shown but kept getting it 45° out. If I do the same this time is it going to cause problems later on? I don’t want to get the build completed only to find out that the range of movement is restricted.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. You just might help me keep my sanity.

Thank you.

20180807_163547.jpg

Edited by grum64

Just now, grum64 said:

I had the devils own job last time trying to get it as shown but kept getting it 45° out.

Don't ask me, man. I had trouble getting the angle of those bloody knob wheels in the Claas silage plough correct.

2 minutes ago, grum64 said:

This may stupid question but does the angle of the 2853 Crankshaft (arrowed) and black assembly have to be at the exact angles shown?

Yes the angle has to be like that. Otherwise when the LA is fully retracted the second part wont tuck completely next to the first part. 

I have a 8258 nearby. If you want I can put the crankshaft at different angles for you to see the effect.

5 minutes ago, grum64 said:

kept getting it 45° out.

I think you meant 90° out?

26 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Don't ask me, man. I had trouble getting the angle of those bloody knob wheels in the Claas silage plough correct.

It seems we’ve gotta get those pesky angles right.

24 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes the angle has to be like that. Otherwise when the LA is fully retracted the second part wont tuck completely next to the first part. 

I have a 8258 nearby. If you want I can put the crankshaft at different angles for you to see the effect.

I think you meant 90° out?

I had an idea that might be the case but thought it best to ask anyway.

Thank you for your very kind offer to show the results of fitting the part at the incorrect angle but really, there’s no need to go all that trouble. I’ve got it now.

Yes, I did mean 90°. My bad.

Thank you for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Yes, that crankshaft piece is part of a really ingenious linkage meant to let the crane fold exactly right when the LA retracts. The brilliancy lies in the fact that the final crane section has to rotate 180 degrees, which requires a linkage. I rebuilt just the crane of this set for my Delta carrier a few months back (but in another color scheme), and I copied this linkage to appreciate its elegance again.

10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Yes, that crankshaft piece is part of a really ingenious linkage meant to let the crane fold exactly right when the LA retracts. The brilliancy lies in the fact that the final crane section has to rotate 180 degrees, which requires a linkage. I rebuilt just the crane of this set for my Delta carrier a few months back (but in another color scheme), and I copied this linkage to appreciate its elegance again.

Thank you for the explanation Erik. After I read your post I watched a few 8258 videos on YouTube and can see what you mean. Watching the linkage doing its thing, it seems it’s brilliance lies in it’s simplicity. So, with cooler weather building can now resume. With angles correct of course.

Edited by grum64

Build Days 9 / 10 - Building time 7hrs 40mins - Total build time 37hrs 5mins

Just as the weather cooled down enough for me to get back in my shed I developed a chest infection which knocked me of my wheels and put paid to me doing any building for much of the last 7 (very frustrating) weeks or so. Happily the antibiotics have chased away the little buggers that trespassed into my system so I've been able to have the last two days in my shed to get the 8258 finished.

As you know, I was in two minds whether to build the crane on or off the truck. You can see from the pictures that I chose the latter and I'm happy I did. Building it this way made it much easier to work on. 

In case you’ve not read my previous post, when last I built this I found trying to fit the 2853 Crankshaft & 32449 1x4 Thin Liftarm to the LA at the angle shown in the instructions (stage 166) particularly difficult. This time I thought if I couldn’t get it exact I’d just get it as close as possible, my thinking being that I may have been overthinking the angle's importance. I convinced myself this was the best thing to do but a little voice told me to double check before going ahead so I posted the question and before long had the answer. Thanks to Ngoc Nguyen and Erik Leppen I now know that the angle of fitting is indeed important and why. I’m very grateful to them both for taking the time to help and for saving me from myself.

Knowing the correct angle's importance is all fair & well but it didn’t make fitting the parts at that angle any easier. To save you from more of my prattling I’ll just say that after an hour and 20 minutes it was done.

With the crane complete and mounted on the chassis it was time to extend the outriggers to enable the fitting of the last section of each. Switching on the battery box and flipping the pole reverser into position but the motor stayed silent. My heart sank, please don't let it be a dud motor!

I turned the battery box off & back on and flipped the pole reverser back & forth but there was still nothing. After testing each PF component in turn I found the problem was a faulty pole reverser which took an hour or so to swap out but once done all worked as it should. Phew!

With the exception of me cannibalising a nearby 9390 for a needed but absent 6L axle before realising I'd used it in place of an 8L in a previous step the rest of the build has been pretty much problem free.

Last time round I didn't get to enjoy, I mean really enjoy, the build process. It was my first Technic after repairing little Police & Star Wars sets for Jake and I was so determined to do it, obsessesed with proving to myself and the doubters that I could, that I didn't give any thought to or leave room for proper enjoyment. This time though there were no such pressures & I've loved the build, every last minute of it. And yes, that includes the 3hrs it took to assemble that pesky engine.

In my opinion the 8258 is a magnificent set and is up there with the greats. As with any set there a few niggles. The hole in the cab roof, no duallies, manual operation of the final section of the otherwise excellent outriggers, poor lifting capacity of the brillianly designed crane and cab doors that don't open but really these are all trivialities and are quickly forgotten when you gaze at the (very big) finshed model. Personally I think it has everything. It's a great design, is a fun & educational build and has enough functions to give it great playability. What more could any self respecting Technic fan want.

Thank you for the kind comments, continued support & encouragement.

My next build will be the excellent 8275.

20180807_084207.jpg

20180807_084959.jpg

20180807_093357.jpg

20180807_082754.jpg

20180807_100223.jpg

20180807_103825.jpg

20180823_135000.jpg

20180826_133216.jpg

20180826_135104.jpg

20180826_143212.jpg

20180926_150357.jpg

20180926_152015.jpg

20180926_154400.jpg

20180926_155329.jpg

@grum64, I was glad to hear this time round your experience was savored and not gulped down.  I was lucky to find a copy of this beauty used and in great shape and it is a great set.  Classic flagship. What’s not to like? :classic:

Congratulations with finally reaching the finish line.:thumbup: I sincerely hope that the dozer will not be interupted by any physical mishaps, it is another classic you are aiming here for and a bit of a trip down memorylane for me as well. So I very much look forward to your progressupdates.