2 minutes ago, Ludo Visser said:

I'll be following this with interest! I never had this set, or built it, so I'm curious to see what all the excitement is about :wink:

Interesting to see how the LA brackets are used here. I guess 4558692 didn't exist yet... 

It didn't. It was introduced with 8043 in 2010.

@grum64Wow! Good progress already. I hope the build is easier for you his time. Looking forward to the build and your comments.

Andy D

The 8258 is something of a holy grail set that I would like to add to the collection, I do have enough spare parts to build it from, may be not quite the same.

14 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

I'll be following this with interest! I never had this set, or built it, so I'm curious to see what all the excitement is about :wink:

Interesting to see how the LA brackets are used here. I guess 4558692 didn't exist yet... 

It's a set well worth tracking down. Many have just become part packs which although the set can be built if needed I doubt most ever will be which is a shame. It's an engaging and enjoyable build and the finished model is, to me anyway, one of the very best Technic display pieces.

12 hours ago, Andy D said:

@grum64Wow! Good progress already. I hope the build is easier for you his time. Looking forward to the build and your comments.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. To be honest I didn't think I'd made much progress but what what I have done has been really enjoyable. As for it being easier. Oh good Lord yes :sweet:

2 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

The 8258 is something of a holy grail set that I would like to add to the collection, I do have enough spare parts to build it from, may be not quite the same.

If you have the parts you're only really a box, sticker set and a set of instructions away from it being the same as any set bought boxed & complete. And probably cheaper :sweet:

Edited by grum64

Oh this will be a joy to follow again. I am really looking forward to this one. It is the set that finally convinced me that studless building was the way to go. That gearselector mechanism is so wonderfully complex with great part usages, that is just brilliant. Keep those updates coming:thumbup:

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Oh this will be a joy to follow again. I am really looking forward to this one. It is the set that finally convinced me that studless building was the way to go. That gearselector mechanism is so wonderfully complex with great part usages, that is just brilliant. Keep those updates coming:thumbup:

Thank you Jeroen, as always you’re very kind. If for nothing else I guess we owe this set a debt of gratitude for helping coax you out of the darkness and onto the path to where you are today.

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'm stoked for this build as well. 8258 is apparently one of the greatest Technic sets ever.

For myself and those far more knowledgable than I the 8258 is certainly up there with the Technic greats of years gone by. Yes, you could say it has its faults, a gaping hole in cab roof, no dual rear wheels and a crane that although brilliant in design and operation couldn’t lift much more than a chocolate mouse but who cares. In terms of technicality, operation and overall design it’s a winner every time.

Edited by grum64
Punctuation

@brickless_kiwiI totally agree with @grum64here. If you have the parts, or can easily obtain them you should build the 8258. Last May/June! After 4 years I combed through my POH (parts on hand), bought $20 parts from Bricklink and built this set. 

The only thing you will be missing is a box and stickers. See here 

for my build of the 8258... Totally worth it, even without all the correct colors. If you are a true fan of the 8258 you won't regret it. The build is a great experience. In fact I am tempted to build it again now.

Andy D 

Edited by Andy D

5 hours ago, Andy D said:

@brickless_kiwiI totally agree with @grum64here. If you have the parts, or can easily obtain them you should build the 8258.

If you are a true fan of the 8258 you won't regret it. The build is a great experience. In fact I am tempted to build it again now.

Andy D 

20180701_222818.jpg

Great to see you building one of the most best set ever and hope you will have fun the hole build of here.

5 minutes ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Great to see you building one of the most best set ever and hope you will have fun the hole build of here.

Thank you Edwin. I'll certainly have fun building this most excellent set.

I'm surprised to see this topic has never seen a reply from me for 27 pages I've been following it. Must be not the only one! Just want to say I'm happy to see this topic progressing from one build to another.

By the way, you have quite nice LEGO collection :wink:

1 hour ago, zux said:

I'm surprised to see this topic has never seen a reply from me for 27 pages I've been following it. Must be not the only one! Just want to say I'm happy to see this topic progressing from one build to another.

By the way, you have quite nice LEGO collection :wink:

That’s very kind. Thank you.

As for my collection. Yes, it’s a good collection although the photo shows only about 20% of it. I did keep the whole collection in my shed but since our wonderful Grandchildren now have their own build table and keep some of their LEGO in there I’ve moved the majority of my collection into our loft and our Sons.

Build Day 2 - Days build time 2hrs 50mins / Total build time 6hrs 10 mins

After a few days away by the sea it's back to the scorching temperatures of home. While we were away our Son made shutters to go over the windows on my shed to block out the sun so with  help from 2 fans, it was bearable being out there today.

Building's been pretty good today with no real difficulties.

I have to say I've really enjoyed building this changeover mechanism. I've made a point as I build of really looking at where things go and why and it just amazes me, it's so intricate. It's very clever, I wouldn't have a clue how to go come up with something like it but I guess that's why Uwe etc., do the designing and aren't knocking on my door for me to join them.

As you can see, the stickers haven't faired well over time. I've got some unused original sticker sheets somewhere and once I remember where I'll replace the peeling ones.

20180706_102645.jpg

20180706_104025.jpg

20180706_120121.jpg

20180706_120827.jpg

20180706_121620.jpg

20180706_124821.jpg

20180706_124941.jpg

20180706_142720.jpg

20180706_142448.jpg

20180706_163142.jpg

Like many others, I'm also looking forward to this one. It came out during my dark ages, and was off the store shelves by the time I started buying sets again. I like its look, it will be good to see the insides in pictures instead of grainy instructions. 

Good progress, this is a great set, epic but not quite as iconic as 8880.  I wasn’t that hopeful that I would ever find one for at least an average price used, but I was lucky to find an AFOL who was getting rid of this set. including box and instructions for the going average price on BL.  He even had all the extra pieces and had bagged all the parts by color.  So naturally this set sits on my shelf, never to be disassembled (well at least until I get the need to build it again, but I might use surrogate parts from the bins and change the color... maybe orange, dark azure, or dark blue?):grin:

15 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Like many others, I'm also looking forward to this one. It came out during my dark ages, and was off the store shelves by the time I started buying sets again. I like its look, it will be good to see the insides in pictures instead of grainy instructions. 

Thank you Bart. I have to apologise for the quality of the pictures. I’m not sure what’s going on with my mobiles camera. I’ll fish out my old S3 and see if that’s any better. I don’t think having shutters has helped as it just leaves the fluorescent lights as the only light source.

14 hours ago, Bublehead said:

Good progress, this is a great set, epic but not quite as iconic as 8880.  I wasn’t that hopeful that I would ever find one for at least an average price used, but I was lucky to find an AFOL who was getting rid of this set. including box and instructions for the going average price on BL.  He even had all the extra pieces and had bagged all the parts by color.  So naturally this set sits on my shelf, never to be disassembled (well at least until I get the need to build it again, but I might use surrogate parts from the bins and change the color... maybe orange, dark azure, or dark blue?):grin:

Thank you. I think I’d look great in blue.

I got myself a 8258 with about 150 USD or something. I had disassembled the dreaded 42009 and never intended to put it back together again, and was looking for ways to recycle the parts. 8258 uses 7 13L gear racks, and 42009 has 12 of them, so I settled on the 8258. I bricklink-ed the remaining parts. I didn't order the XL motor because the L motor from 42009 sufficed already. And the 10 wheels from 42009 allowed me to build 8258 with proper twin duallies.

Wow! That gearbox is really taking shape. 

You are correct... just examining the little things as you go along can be very instructive.

Looking forward to more.

Andy D

BTW: I decided to build the 42054 (CLAAS) again instead of the 8258.

Edited by Andy D
Corrections

Build Day 3 - Days build time 5hrs 30mins / Total build time 11hrs 40 mins

Building has been pretty straightforward today with a decent amount of progress. The only exception being the parts arrowed in pic 1. As you can see (from the instruction screenshot) the red 3 x 5 L is held in place by a single pin that locates into the 5 x 11 frame. Manouvering and fixing this assembly into position looked easy but proved not to be so.

Due to where the pin had to be fitted I couldn't get any purchase on it to press it into place. After numerous tries and a bit of thought, turning the whole build on its side and trying from underneath seemed the obvious answer. Fine in theory but the assembly kept falling out of place. After around 30 minutes and more by luck than judgement, I had the pin lined up with the hole and it was squeezed into place with the help of my trusty clamps.

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that the upper assembly in picture 16 isn't positioned correctly. That's because in pic 13 & 14 there are supposed to be 2 black pins fitted in the middle two 2 x 4 L but I'd fitted them on the underside by mistake. Because of this the upper assembly wasn't located properly resulting in it being 1 stud too far back. I corrected this before fitting the complete sub assembly to the main build.

Surprisingly, everything else went really well.

Shortly after building the 8258 the first time around I came across Designer Hans excellent mods and promised myself that if I built it again I'd incorporate them. Unfortunately as all but one of my boxes of spares are sitting in our Sons loft (I know, it's a daft place to keep them) I'll have to continue building as per the original and maybe mod it another time. It's a shame as I do love those duallies.

20180707_220353.jpg

8258%2BScreenshot.jpg

20180709_090932.jpg

20180709_101355.jpg

20180709_103318.jpg

20180709_110959.jpg

20180709_120703.jpg

20180709_121304.jpg

20180709_121616.jpg

20180709_124456.jpg

20180709_125500.jpg

20180709_130139.jpg

20180709_133140.jpg

20180709_133246.jpg

20180709_135919.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1782.jpg

20180709_163746.jpg

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Good progress!

Seeing the photos I remember that the new 16T gears had a really low clutching power at the time. I think there are even parts in the construction where an axle was protruding solely for the reason to put an extra bush on it to prevent the gear from sliding of the axle. However when I look at your photos there seems to be a 16T gear that is attached to the end of an axle (at the rear of the outrigger assy) ready to fall off. Do my memories fail me, will this gear be fixed in another way or where only a few 16T gears secured with an extra bush?

56 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Good progress!

Seeing the photos I remember that the new 16T gears had a really low clutching power at the time. I think there are even parts in the construction where an axle was protruding solely for the reason to put an extra bush on it to prevent the gear from sliding of the axle. However when I look at your photos there seems to be a 16T gear that is attached to the end of an axle (at the rear of the outrigger assy) ready to fall off. Do my memories fail me, will this gear be fixed in another way or where only a few 16T gears secured with an extra bush?

Thank you Jeroen.

Hmmmm... I can see what you mean. Thank you for pointing it out. I'll take a proper look in the morning.

Edited by grum64

Really coming together! Looks like the steering and one of the outriggers. Good progress!

Andy D

19 minutes ago, Andy D said:

Really coming together! Looks like the steering and one of the outriggers. Good progress!

Andy D

Thank you Andy. It's coming along nicely. You're correct about it being the steering and outrigger assembly with the latter being a great design. It's very solid, braced as it is by numerous 2 x 4 L liftarms. All in all it's been a pretty productive day.

Edited by grum64