Thank you Andy. I often worry I post too many pictures but they say a picture is worth a thousand words and as I’m no good with words I’m better letting the pictures say what I can’t.

The old axle in the gear trick.  I sometimes do similar to help in assembly.  Getting there and looking good, Grum.

It's something I've always done whether it be with axles or kebab sticks (unused :classic:) but on this occasion I didn't think to do it until I'd struggled for some considerable time. It's that goldfish thing again.

Build Days 27/28 - Total days build time 4hrs 15mins / Total build time 65hrs 15mins

Just a quick update which will no doubt come as good news to those of you wanting to stay awake.

Building had been going really well for a good while now but knowing there were 66 track links to join I knew this situation wasn't going to last. Today proved me right.

After almost 2hrs, 64 links were joined. With my frustration levels in the red trying to join link 65, a well aimed Grum knock resulted in what must surely be a speed & distance record for a LEGO track link. Honestly, one minute it was on my laptray the next it shot past my ear at a considerable rate of knots, hit the far wall of my shed covered the same distace back again and landed on the floor next to my wheel. By my reckoning it had covered over 30ft!

It was while pondering the significance of this achievement I remembered (better late than never) that our good freind Bart had suggested a technique to join links that he's used to good effect. I gave it a go and hey presto, the last 2 links were in place. It was quick and much easier so thank you very much Bart. I just wish I'd remembered it sooner. Carassius auratus retinentia.

With the eleven 5L liftarms attached and all 66 links joined I had a conveyor in place.

20180407_144658.jpg

20180407_145353.jpg

20180410_144705.jpg

20180410_150319.jpg

20180410_153451.jpg

20180410_154434.jpg

Even I am currently building this set. I am a slow builder and take my time to understand the way things work. I usually spend 2-3 hours over the weekend. I was working on it last weekend and I have only finished with bag 1 that builds the truck. 

11 hours ago, grum64 said:

With my frustration levels in the red trying to join link 65, a well aimed Grum knock resulted in what must surely be a speed & distance record for a LEGO track link. Honestly, one minute it was on my laptray the next it shot past my ear at a considerable rate of knots, hit the far wall of my shed covered the same distace back again and landed on the floor next to my wheel. By my reckoning it had covered over 30ft!

Let this be a warning to any errant Lego pieces out there - defying The Will of Grum is a gross error that will be punished severely.

Glad to hear of the progress as always. What exactly did BusterHaus suggest that made connecting the links easier?

18 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

I can't still belive it , all that efford you put into your builds buddy.:wub:

Thank you Edwin.

12 hours ago, arijitdas said:

Even I am currently building this set. I am a slow builder and take my time to understand the way things work. I usually spend 2-3 hours over the weekend. I was working on it last weekend and I have only finished with bag 1 that builds the truck. 

Slowly’s the way to go with all building. I think you enjoy the process more.

6 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

Let this be a warning to any errant Lego pieces out there - defying The Will of Grum is a gross error that will be punished severely.

:iamded_lol::iamded_lol::iamded_lol:

4 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Clive your builds are always an inspiration, and this one is no exception.

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Jay Psi said:

What exactly did BusterHaus suggest that made connecting the links easier?

This...

On 20/03/2018 at 4:21 PM, BusterHaus said:

As a kid I used to struggle with the tiny chain links used on 1L-wide gears (8/24/40 teeth).  I eventually figured out that snapping them together on the gear was much easier than doing it in the air.  It also helped if the gear on which the snapping was done was immobilized.  You could try the same technique on the big links if you're not happy with your current one.

...and it worked a treat. Thank you Bart.

Edited by grum64
Correction

I'm glad to hear that my method was useful!  It's crazy how much it stuck with me over the years. I had a job many years ago where I used it when installing chains on industrial machines.  But enough reminiscing - your build is going great, you should be quite proud. I'm still curious as to how you'll lift the arm to install it. 

18 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

I'm still curious as to how you'll lift the arm to install it. 

You and me both :classic:

11 hours ago, allanp said:

A technic crane?!

:laugh_hard:

Build Days 27/28/29 - Total days build time 6hrs 50mins / Total build time 72hrs 5mins

After a little bit of work on the digging arm I've now gotten to a stage of the build where, for a little while at least, I have some respite from the frustrations of fighting with it and move on to the gearbox/counter weight. 

Building the gearbox was progressing really well right up until the moment I noticed a bit of a problem. 

Stage 501 requires that a 4L with stop be used and stage 505 a 5L with stop but while building I'd used the 5L instead of the 4L and vice versa. I only realised when I was about to fit the second clutch onto the axle and found nothing for it to fit to :damn:. Thankfully it didn't take too much to put right but it took well over an hour. Lesson learnt.

20180413_162804.jpg

20180413_164622.jpg

20180414_153104.jpg

20180416_164924.jpg

20180416_145053.jpg

20180416_161258.jpg

20180417_162428.jpg

20180417_162904.jpg

20180418_150459.jpg

20180418_161440.jpg

20180418_162434.jpg

Edited by grum64
Punctuation / Build time correction

Getting close now to be able to turn it on and see if the functions all work :wink: 

On 18/04/2018 at 9:44 PM, Pvdb said:

Getting close now to be able to turn it on and see if the functions all work :wink: 

After fitting each gear I checked that it turned freely to minimise friction. Also, I ensured that the bucket wheel rotated freely and ran straight & true.

All this should, I repeat, should ensure that there are no problems. It won't be long until I find out.

16 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

And getting close to the mounting the arm on the carrier...:devil: Good progress and witty as always

Ah yes, mounting the arm. Unusually for me I've not put too much thought into fitting it as I don't thunk it would help very much. It's something I'll work out when I get to it  :wacko:.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 30 - Days build time 3hrs 50mins / Total build time 75hrs 55mins

Today was a day that started really well...

20180421_140547.jpg

... but ended otherwise. More of that later.

With the gearbox/counterweight complete it was time to attach it to the digging arm. Due to the combined size of two assemblies there was no way they'd both fit on my laptray so it was time to try a different approach.

I flipped the digging arm onto it's side and slid it so that the end to receive to gearbox was  overhanging the edge of the table. With the gearbox on my laptray I manouvered my wheelchair so I was facing the table with the edge of the tray almost against it.

With the digging arm now overhanging my laptray it was time for what Jake, George & Penny say is my 'chairs party trick. With a press of a button and a pull back on the joystick the seat raised up until my laptray was at the same level as the table with the end of the digging arm resting upon it. All I had to do was line up the axles with their respected orifices and press the two assemblies together until they were connected. It took a while but eventually it was done. All that remained was to fit the liftarms and panels that tie and brace the joint.

I'm not very good at written explanations so I hope the above makes sense.

Now for the aforementioned 'otherwise'.

With this part of the build done I wanted to take some photos so I slid the now complete digging arm into roughly the right place, lowered my 'chair and moved alongside the table to adjust the arm into a better position. As I was doing this the 'chair's controller brushed gently against the arm. Gently it may have been but it was enough to... Well, it's said that a picture's worth a thousand words so I'll let it tell the rest of the story.

Spoiler

20180421_152641.jpg

Gutted would be a big, a very big understatement but there was no point crying over spilt LEGO so after my Son picked it up for me it was time to set about repairing it.

It's a testament to the strength of the build that other than the digger ring coming apart the only other 'damage' was one half bush that came off and a few joints that needed tightening. Remarkable.

Edited by grum64
Spelling / Other Corrections

Holy cow, Grum, you lucked out with so little damage.  I'm sorry it happened, but I'm pretty sure you're more determined than before to get it done.  Stay strong buddy!

By the way, when you were writing about chairs I had an idea of using two chairs a few feet apart, laying a smooth metal rod across them, then using a string or two to raise and lower the arm.  It would make for a quick, primitive crane, although your current method seems to be working fairly well - as long as you don't have brushes with the controller.

Thank you Bart. I'm very lucky that there wasn't more damage as it hit the floor with quite a wallop. It's back together now but I'm going to recheck that all the joints are nice & tight then 'power it up' to double check the wheel alignment before going any further. Best do it now than get it all done and find problems.

One good thing to come out of this mishap was using my 'chairs raise/lower function in fitting the gearbox to the arm. I can raise the seat height by 18" which by my reckoning would put my laptray about 15" above tabletop level. This started me thinking that it might be the way to go to mount the digging arm. If I can get the chassis positioned at the edge of the table and (safely) overhang the arm from my laptray I might be able to lower one onto the other. 

It's souds crazy but it's just a thought at the moment. As I said to Jake, nothing ventured, nothing gained. His reply? Fools go in...

I'll find out soon enough :classic:.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

Oouch, that must have hurt. It is an extremely durable structure indeed, that must have been your saving grace. I hope the mounting of the arm goes with less gravitional hickups.

I reckon a few mishaps were to be expected with such a cumbersome, unwieldy build.

What astounds me every time is that you always figure out a work-around. Keep it up, mate!

2 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Oouch, that must have hurt. It is an extremely durable structure indeed, that must have been your saving grace. I hope the mounting of the arm goes with less gravitional hickups.

I was more disappointed than anything else. It was something I thought might happen given its size but as the build progressed I think I just got a tad complacent. 

As for mounting the arm, that'll require a bit more thinking about and a lot more care.

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

What astounds me every time is that you always figure out a work-around. Keep it up, mate!

My whole life's a work-around :classic:

4 hours ago, grum64 said:

My whole life's a work-around :classic:

I can identify with this.  To some degree this really applies to most of us. To some of us more than others.

glad you are recovering from your LEGO mishap, I know the feeling.

looking forward to your posts.

Andy D

Thank you Andy. You’re right of course. We all find better ways to do things as we go through and learn from life.