2 hours ago, LXF said:

Unfortunately missed a lot... 

But the set innards look beautiful, I think I finally understood how the steering is fitted inside :)

The steering certainly is well designed & very clever.

Edited by grum64

25 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

They're back! Thank you!

You're very welcome.

Build Days 18, 19 & 20 - Combined build time 5hrs 10mins / Total build time 63hrs

The final 3 days build pics

IMG_1442.JPG

In the pic below the red 9L lift arms connected to the vertical grey 13L lift arm have been moved to their correct position leaving one clear hole between it and the grey 1/4 Pin.

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Before you ask, yes, they are teeth marks on the parts in the pic below.

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

Finally, the completed model

After a total of 63 hours building spread across 20 days the 42054 is now complete.

Building this has been a joy it really has and with it being less than symmetrical, hasn't felt particularly repetitive. Of course there have been difficulties along the way, with me that's a given, but with the exception of those well documented (a total of 23 PwPH were damaged beyond use), the whole build has been relatively problem free. 

The finished model is much bigger than I thought it would be. It has real presence and when viewed from the front, quarter ways on, is very imposing. It looks far better in the brick than in any photos I've seen (sorry Jim :classic:). I like this model immensely, this helped by it being a pretty faithful representation of it's real life counterpart. The Claas Company colours of lime green and red make it really stand out.

As for its functionality, Jake & George have spent several hours playing with it and they give it a big thumbs up. Unfortunately, I can't use it very well so to give it better playability for all, I plan to one day get the set dismantled and rebuild it as effermans brilliant RC version which, looking back, I guess I should have done in the first place. Also, I'd like to build effermans Saddle Trac so will lookout for a bargain priced set.

Although this model has several functions that grab the limelight, there's one in particular I like although, thinking about it, maybe it's not a function as such. Anyway, it's the top switch on the 'control panel' on the right hand side of the model. It's connected to a linkage that connects to the battery box on/off switch. Up for on, down for off. No more sliding back & forth past the off position. Brilliantly simple and brilliantly effective.

In my opinion the 42054 is right up there with the best Technic sets and is certainly one of my favourites.

A few days break from building while I get a few other things attended to and then I'll be back building. It'll be one of my older sets. Which one? Hmmm...that'd be telling 

Please Note:

The stickers are yet to be affixed and batteries inserted as I we're very busy at the moment. I'll post a few pics with them in place and cab/crane in operation in a few days.

Cab control switch position has been corrected.

IMG_1552.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1567.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

Thank you for your very kind comments and encouragement during the build. All very much appreciated.

Edited by grum64
Rearranged Text/Photos. Spelling.

Yeah, agree with Jeroen.  Well done!. Definitely" a must" set

I suggest the 8258 for,your next project :wink:. Though if you have a 8043, would be better :tongue:

35 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Job well done!

Total agree with Jeroen.:thumbup:

You make a great building review of it Clive and love every progress of your building progress and gives me a big smile in this sad times for me.:wink::thumbup:

11 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Job well done!

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

Yeah, agree with Jeroen.  Well done!. Definitely" a must" set

I suggest the 8258 for,your next project :wink:. Though if you have a 8043, would be better :tongue:

Thank you.

This is one set that should be on every Technic fans wish list.

As for the 8258 & 8043. The 8043 is on loan at the moment but the 8258 will be rebuilt. Will that be sooner rather than later? We'll see :classic:.

10 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Total agree with Jeroen.:thumbup:

You make a great building review of it Clive and love every progress of your building progress and gives me a big smile in this sad times for me.:wink::thumbup:

Thank you Edwin for your kind words.

I don't know that I'd call it a review though. I leave that to those who are better qualified, more eloquent & better photographers than I. I think we know they are :classic:.

Always happy to bring a smile to someones face, more so for you at this very difficult time.

Edited by grum64
Spelling. Again.

Well done Clive, as Jeroen says "Job well done" even with teeth marks :wink:

Looking forward to your next build, maybe something studded to get you away from the dreaded PwPH

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

Well done Clive, as Jeroen says "Job well done" even with teeth marks :wink:

Looking forward to your next build, maybe something studded to get you away from the dreaded PwPH

Thank you LucyCol. Sadly the odd few teeth marks are something of an occupational hazard :classic:

As for my next build. All I'll say is it won't be studded and thankfully doesn't have any PwPH :sweet:

6 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Thank you LucyCol. Sadly the odd few teeth marks are something of an occupational hazard :classic:

As for my next build. All I'll say is it won't be studded and thankfully doesn't have any PwPH :sweet:

Have you thought about maybe making a temporary structure around the PwPH so it is more stable when trying to insert in?  Perhaps a 3L pin through it with connectors on both ends and joined together by an axle?

5 hours ago, technic_addict said:

Have you thought about maybe making a temporary structure around the PwPH so it is more stable when trying to insert in?  Perhaps a 3L pin through it with connectors on both ends and joined together by an axle?

I've tried most things but next time I come across the PwPH I'll try what you suggest.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your idea.

Thanks Grum for all the pics and thoughtful thoughts, very helpful and convicing.  Amazon has the Claas on sale, early X-mas present for our Man Cave!

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

Thanks Grum for all the pics and thoughtful thoughts, very helpful and convicing.  Amazon has the Claas on sale, early X-mas present for our Man Cave!

Thank you for your kind comment.

In my most humble opinion it's no exaggeration to say that the Claas really is a must have set. It's that good.

Happy Christmas to you :wink:

Build Day 1 - Days build time 5hrs 30mins / Total build time 5hrs 30mins

After what seems like a long time away due to ill health and latterly working on other projects I'm back with another WIP build.

I've spent a week or so trying to make my mind up what to build but with no decision  made I left it to Jake to choose. So the 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator it is then. The 'reward' for making the decision for me? I'm letting him build the dump truck.

Now, I know this is a big set but the scale of the task in hand wasn't really apparent until the contents were tipped out of the box(es). All those bags!

So, decision made, bags 2 & 3 emptied into the sorting tray it was time to get started and so far so good.

As always I went through the instructions the night before commencing the build to flag up any stages that might be problematic. I saw that the pins in stages 34 & 35 (pages 64 & 65) would be difficult to insert if I stuck to the build order so I built all four 'corner' assemblies, inserted the pins and then attached them. Job done.

I don't think these will be the last difficulties I'll come up against during this build but going through the instructions prior to each day's building and a little luck should see the level of difficulty minimised.

Today's pics. Sorry about the quality. I didn't realise until a short time ago I'd gotten fingerprints on the lens.

IMG_3387.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3388.JPGIMG_3390.JPG

Grum, it is good to see you back, I was worried :classic:

This is going to be a huge build, epic. I'm looking forward to see it, since I didn't get the set myself. Your build reviews always add something that other reviews never capture, namely the building experience from an unique viewpoint. And of course, your preparation also gives good insights in the difficulty of the build.

Again, looking forward :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, Oliver 79 said:

Welcome back @grum64! I like reading about your build experiences. It always puts a smile on my face. Keep up the good work! :classic: :thumbup: 

Thank you. 

36 minutes ago, Ludo Visser said:

Grum, it is good to see you back, I was worried :classic:

This is going to be a huge build, epic. I'm looking forward to see it, since I didn't get the set myself. Your build reviews always add something that other reviews never capture, namely the building experience from an unique viewpoint. And of course, your preparation also gives good insights in the difficulty of the build.

Again, looking forward :thumbup:

It's really good to be back. No need to worry though, like a cat I've got 9 lives. Thinking about it, best make that 6 :wink:.

14 minutes ago, JGW3000 said:

Grum, great start - but, are you going to need a bigger shed for this monster?

Thank you. The size of the shed isn't going to be the problem however, still having to build on a laptray.........

Edited by grum64

Wow you certainly have not lost any ambition during your absence here *huh* From experience I can say that this is a monster to build... Not too many pin with pinjoiners though :laugh:

1 hour ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Wow you certainly have not lost any ambition during your absence here *huh* From experience I can say that this is a monster to build... Not too many pin with pinjoiners though :laugh:

Thank you Jeroen.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of building this behemoth of a set.

Pleased that there aren't too many of those parts that I now refer to as nemesis.

Edited by grum64
Spelling

4 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Welcome back!

Funny you start on this one, I just finished it yesterday. It's a great building experience.

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed building yours. Think I'm going to enjoy it just as much.

Wow, this will keep you busy for a while. Isn't the whole upper arm built off the model?  Have you started planning how to attach it? 

Welcome back Clive (@grum64 ) this is quite an ambitious project! My BWE is still in the box (after 6 months or so). I am looking forward to your progress. Maybe it will inspire me to start mine... Though I have other projects so I may not be be able to start until after the first of next year. In the meantime I will live vicariously through your assembly process.

Thank you or sharing your builds with us! I for one have missed them.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D