12 hours ago, grum64 said:

I've not contacted LEGO about the problems with the PwPH. It's probably just me and the way I'm trying to fit them. 

Actually, they are difficult to get in, also in my opinion.They seem more stubborn than regular pins; not sure why.

I've been following this topic silently, but I sure do enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your efforts Grum, especially the 8880, that was a lot of memories coming back.

2 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

Actually, they are difficult to get in, also in my opinion.They seem more stubborn than regular pins; not sure why.

I've been following this topic silently, but I sure do enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your efforts Grum, especially the 8880, that was a lot of memories coming back.

It's good to know it's not just me. Like you I've no idea why they're as difficulty to get in as they are. I think I will do as LucyCol suggests and contact LEGO for their thoughts about it.

Thank you for your kind comments. The only thing I wish is that I could take better photos. Smaller assemblies are are OK to photograph as I can do them on my lap tray (which now has an all white surface that I hope will help) but as build's get too big for it they have to go on my table. With Windows almost behind it pictures come out quite dark. Having to use the camera on my mobile doesn't help.

You'll no doubt be pleased to know I've kept the 8880 - at least until I see just how much of a dust magnet it is.

The pin with pin hole is harder to fit because of the type of plastic.  Most pins and axles are made from a softer plastic making them more deformable and easier to fit.  Structural parts like liftarms are made from a much more rigid polymer.  Since this particular part serves both functions, they needed to use the stronger, harder plastic.  So it is not just you, it legitimately requires much more force to fit this part in a hole.

17 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

The pin with pin hole is harder to fit because of the type of plastic.  Most pins and axles are made from a softer plastic making them more deformable and easier to fit.  Structural parts like liftarms are made from a much more rigid polymer.  Since this particular part serves both functions, they needed to use the stronger, harder plastic.  So it is not just you, it legitimately requires much more force to fit this part in a hole.

I am pretty sure TLG only uses ABS for all its plastic pieces regardless of use.  Pieces which are difficult to insert are because of dimensions and or features making them more rigid.

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

Now it makes sense. Thank you Blakbird for your explanation.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

I am pretty sure TLG only uses ABS for all its plastic pieces regardless of use.  Pieces which are difficult to insert are because of dimensions and or features making them more rigid.

There are many different grades of ABS, with varying properties. 

13 minutes ago, Boulderer said:

There are many different grades of ABS, with varying properties. 

Yes, there are different grades.  There are also additives which can be added to the pellets.  Neither of these is the reason why the pin is more difficult to insert.

50 minutes ago, technic_addict said:

Yes, there are different grades.  There are also additives which can be added to the pellets.  Neither of these is the reason why the pin is more difficult to insert.

I just checked all the pin styles and the hardest to click in by far is the single eyelet connector,  it also has a slightly different sheen than the others making sense that it goes along the lines of what Blackbird and Grum64 are talking about.  The pins despite use and style seem to be of a softer grade of ABS that the liftarms.  I also used a michrometer to check the width and circumference and they're all the same. So from what I've concluded whether the grade of ABS,  shape or style they all play a part in how that piece clicks with other Lego technic pieces.  

Edited by DugaldIC

Build Day 16 - Todays build time 6hrs 25mins / Total build time 55hrs 40mins

Another marathon 6hrs+ building session today during which I feel I've gotten a good bit of the rear attachment done.

A few frustrations presented themselves along the way, all of which involved PwPH's. The most difficult was fitting a pair of them on the inside a 5x7 frame. I thought fitting them to liftarms etc., was difficult, but this was something else. It took an agonising 1hr 20 minutes to get them in place :angry:

Thankfully, other than the PwPH's the rest of todays building was mostly difficulty free.

Todays Pics

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1370.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

IMG_1397.JPG

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

FullSizeRender-5.jpg

38 minutes ago, DugaldIC said:

I just checked all the pin styles and the hardest to click in by far is the single eyelet connector,  it also has a slightly different sheen than the others making sense that it goes along the lines of what Blackbird and Grum64 are talking about.  The pins despite use and style seem to be of a softer grade of ABS that the liftarms.  I also used a michrometer to check the width and circumference and they're all the same. So from what I've concluded whether the grade of ABS,  shape or style they all play a part in how that piece clicks with other Lego technic pieces.  

It is the same material.  The thickness of the pin is different which make one more flexible than the other.  Use a micrometer.

Bottom line.  Some pins are more difficult to insert.  I don't want to detract the purpose of this thread.

8 hours ago, technic_addict said:

It is the same material.  The thickness of the pin is different which make one more flexible than the other.  Use a micrometer.

Bottom line.  Some pins are more difficult to insert.  I don't want to detract the purpose of this thread.

One final point, then no more, TLG do actually use Polycarbonate for many elements, not just ABS. All the Trans colours for example are PC. I believe they also use PC where they require additional strength so the PwPH may well be PC or a blend thereof. 

On 10/14/2016 at 11:31 AM, grum64 said:

You'll no doubt be pleased to know I've kept the 8880 - at least until I see just how much of a dust magnet it is.

:thumbup: Mine is now more a dark grey colour, as opposed to black :classic:

Actually I hope the PwPH stay as they are. They are a nightmare to put in in many scenarios (sometimes I had to disassemble a model party, even if the place to insert was not hard to get to), but I relied on the strength of this contact in my latest models...

On 14-10-2016 at 0:31 PM, grum64 said:

I saw it in the background of one of your photo's. It is pretty to look at; if only I had a shelf to put it on, I'd rebuild it as well... :classic: 

1 hour ago, LucyCol said:

:thumbup: Mine is now more a dark grey colour, as opposed to black :classic:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

2 hours ago, Ludo Visser said:

I saw it in the background of one of your photo's. It is pretty to look at; if only I had a shelf to put it on, I'd rebuild it as well... :classic: 

Mine sits on a shelf. I must say it does look very good.

14 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Mine sits on a shelf. I must say it does look very good.

You just need to get a second copy and build the B-model to sit next to it.  One of the better B-models IMHO.

2 hours ago, Boulderer said:

You just need to get a second copy and build the B-model to sit next to it.  One of the better B-models IMHO.

I do like the 8880 B model and am on the look out for a bargain priced set.

Build Day 17 - Todays build time 2hrs 10mins / Total build time 57hrs 50mins

With the last few building sessions having been 6hours+ they've been very tiring so I limited myself too just a couple of hours today.

Although there's not too much progress those parts that have been attached today weren't easy to get on but I'm pleased with what I've gotten done.

The finish line is clearly in sight. One more session should have it completed.

Todays Build Pics

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Edited by grum64

2 minutes ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Great work Clive and your pictures very are sharp.:thumbup:

Thank you Edwin. I wish all my pictures were 'good' as my closeups. I use the camera on my Galaxy Note 3 with the timer at 2 seconds which helps eliminate any shudder but I think I need to try & build an adjustable holder or some such thing and have a dedicated area to take photos.

26 minutes ago, AkiyamaWataru said:

grum I'm sad :/ I can't see any of your current pictures.

10 minutes ago, ctx1769 said:

I can't see any pictures either

Sorry about that. I've no idea why this happens every so often but the pictures seem to be back now.

Unfortunately missed a lot... 

But the set innards look beautiful, I think I finally understood how the steering is fitted inside :)