After what seems like an eternity away I’m back building. It’s taken much longer than anticipated due to the complications with the broken leg needing an op.

I'm still confined to bed for much of the time and when I am up it's only for a limited time so the amount of building I can get done is a lot less than I'd like. Hopefully normal service will be resumed in a few months. Until then, any building is better than none.

I'd like to say a big thank you for all the emails, texts and messages. I very much appreciate your good wishes and kindness.

Finally, to the member who thought I'd died. I'm sorry my 'passing' caused you so much upset. Gilly thanks you for your very heartfelt condolences but I assure you I'm still very much alive, a state of being I aim to maintain until the good Lord or Beelzibub himself assures me that their respective domains of the afterlife have no steps.

Build Days 7/8/9/10/11 - Total Days build time 7hrs 15mins / Total build time 33hrs 55mins

With me not having done any building for around 6 months I thought it might take a little while to get back into the swing of things but I've found myself having to 'relearn' many of my building techniques so progress has been painfully slow.

Other than my goldfish like inability to remember anything, these last few days building only really threw up one problem.

Attaching the bottom of the superstructure to the carrier was an real exercise in patience. It's connected by 4 x 32054 pins, 2 at the front & 2 at the rear. Once the assemblies are placed on top of eachother the rear pins were no trouble at all to push in. However, the same cannot be said of the front. They were nowhere to be seen covered as they were by the top assembly and buried in the build. Once I did locate them it took over an hour to push them in but with the aid of a long screwdriver held in my mouth (Note to self. Ensure screwdriver is free of grease etc before placing in mouth) they surrendered to my will.  I’ve just realised that the above problem could’ve been avoided had I turned to the next page :cry_sad:.

I forsee much more 'fun' ahead due to the ever increasing size of this build. Already it's almost outgrown my laptray and there's a very long way to go yet. Boy it's good to be back building.

Apologies for having no photo of the superstructure bottom prior to attachment of the actuator assembly. No excuses, I forgot. It's that goldfish thing again.

20180210_154740.jpg

20180210_163311.jpg

20180210_165258.jpg

Edited by grum64
Obvious correction, too embarrassing to point out

Hi Grum, good to hear from you again! The other week you crossed my mind and I wondered about a next update.

Sorry to hear about the limitations you have at the moment, but I know you just won't give up. Have you considered building digitally to complement the real world building? Lego Digital Designer (LDD) is relatively easy to learn and might keep you building while real bricks are out of reach. You could add to our archive of digital models of official Lego sets, or even venture in the world of MOCs.

All the best and happy building.

Well it certainly is good to see you back in action again! I actually wondered where you were a few times over the past months. I should've known that if anyone was bound to return to action at some point, it'd be you! 

I'm glad you still find joy in building, and admire your everlasting positivity when it comes to taking challenges (even when you had conquered them once already...).

Wish you all the best, both in recovering and with the build of course! This forum feels better with you around again.

YAAAAAAAY he's back!!! Very much looking forward to your continued general awesomeness! 

Goldfish... I'll remember that :laugh:

Good to see you back into action. I hope you will recover even further so that you can give us regular updates of your intrepid adventures. It has been a while since I built this one, but in my memory the base was the most difficult part to assemble. But I am a bit of a goldfish myself so don't get upset with me if more tricky parts emerge.:wink: And of course the size of the thing can become an issue as well.

Have fun

Hi Clive! Great to see you back again! I am looking forward to your BWE updates. Mine is still in the box, l just have not had the courage to approach it yet as I know how long it will take for  me to build. In the meantime I will follow your build. The gearbox looks interesting.

I wonder if "goldfish memory" would work when explaining myself to my wife? I think we all have goldfish memory when we get to a certain age.

i hope you recover more fully soon!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Hi Clive! Great to see you are back in the business! Too bad you can only build a little at the time, but, like you've said, it's better than nothing! I genuinely hope you get back to your best soon so that we can enjoy your wonderful reviews again.Take your time but remember: have fun! :wink:

9 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

Hi Grum, good to hear from you again! The other week you crossed my mind and I wondered about a next update.

Sorry to hear about the limitations you have at the moment, but I know you just won't give up. Have you considered building digitally to complement the real world building? Lego Digital Designer (LDD) is relatively easy to learn and might keep you building while real bricks are out of reach. You could add to our archive of digital models of official Lego sets, or even venture in the world of MOCs.

All the best and happy building.

I often tinker about with LDD or stud.io when I can't get out to my shed. My PAW Patrol LEGO Ideas project was built digitally while I was laid up last year.

9 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Well it certainly is good to see you back in action again! I actually wondered where you were a few times over the past months. I should've known that if anyone was bound to return to action at some point, it'd be you! 

I'm glad you still find joy in building, and admire your everlasting positivity when it comes to taking challenges (even when you had conquered them once already...).

Wish you all the best, both in recovering and with the build of course! This forum feels better with you around again.

Thank you for your kind comments. It's great to be back.

6 hours ago, allanp said:

YAAAAAAAY he's back!!! Very much looking forward to your continued general awesomeness! 

Thank you. As for any awesomeness, my Daughter in Law disagrees :classic:.

5 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Goldfish... I'll remember that :laugh:

Good to see you back into action. I hope you will recover even further so that you can give us regular updates of your intrepid adventures. It has been a while since I built this one, but in my memory the base was the most difficult part to assemble. But I am a bit of a goldfish myself so don't get upset with me if more tricky parts emerge.:wink: And of course the size of the thing can become an issue as well.

Have fun

Thank you Jeroen. I hope to be able to post fairly regular updates. For the forseeable future each post will cover a few days building as I can't be up long enough each day to make enough progress to be worth posting.

As for it being getting tricky, I've been looking through the instructions and watching build videos to see what's to come.

I'm not sure it was a good idea!

1 hour ago, Andy D said:

Hi Clive! Great to see you back again! I am looking forward to your BWE updates. Mine is still in the box, l just have not had the courage to approach it yet as I know how long it will take for  me to build. In the meantime I will follow your build. The gearbox looks interesting.

I wonder if "goldfish memory" would work when explaining myself to my wife? I think we all have goldfish memory when we get to a certain age.

i hope you recover more fully soon!

Andy D

Thank you Andy. I think you should build your BWE. It's a difficult build but it's very good fun.

12 minutes ago, kieran said:

Nice to see you back at it

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

Hi Clive! Great to see you are back in the business! Too bad you can only build a little at the time, but, like you've said, it's better than nothing! I genuinely hope you get back to your best soon so that we can enjoy your wonderful reviews again.Take your time but remember: have fun! :wink:

Thank you. i'll get back to longer building hours in a couple of months. Whatever the hours I'll definately have fun.

On 11/02/2018 at 11:04 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Great to see you back! The BWE is an amazing build!

Thank you. The BWE is a pretty amazing build. It's nice that there's very little repetition, so far anyway.

12 hours ago, Andy D said:

@grum64 well, it is definitely in e queue, I am just not sure where.

Andy D

How on earth do you lose track of a box that size? :sweet:

Edited by grum64
Spelling

1 hour ago, grum64 said:

Thank you. The BWE is a pretty amazing build. It's nice that there's vert little repetition, so far anyway.

How on earth do you lose track of a box that size? :sweet:

Well... it was not easy. ;) I didn't really lose the box, it is just sitting under my build desk mocking me, every day, I just lost the time. I have so many projects and I just need to define a queue (yeah, right), then decide where the BWE is in that queue.

Right now I am in the middle of a big disassembly, sort and store project. Some of the sets have been waiting a couple of years to be disassembled, some piles of bricks have been waiting almost as long. But I do have a plan, sort of, kind of.

i just got a 42053 and I want to assemble that and do some other projects, so maybe June for the BWE??

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

4 hours ago, grum64 said:

June eh? I'll set a reminder, just in case you forget :wink:

That was ... maybe June ...

Andy D

14 hours ago, Andy D said:

That was ... maybe June ...

Andy D

JuneISH :wink:

4 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Nice to see you back and building Clive. :classic:

Thank you. It’s good to be back with my EB friends.

3 hours ago, Edwin Korstanje said:

Great to have you back here buddy and that you buidling again. Hope that your leg problems are over soon.

Thank you Edwin. The legs are healed, I’m just dealing with the complications but hopefully all will be well in the next couple of months.

40 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Welcome back, we missed you!  It's nice to see that you haven't stopped building.

Thank you Bart. Being back building is great but for a while it’ll be sporadic.

Build Days 12/13/14/15 - Total build time 7hrs 10mins / Total build time 40hrs 50mins

It’s been a while since my last post so with a few days building done it’s time for a quick update but, as I’ve only had an hour or so each build day there’s not very much in the way of progress.

On the whole this part of the build has been pretty straightforward and with the exception of one ‘hiccup’, has been problem free.

That ‘hiccup’ was of my own making. I refer to the the two black pins indicated by the (badly drawn) red arrows on photo 7 below. Even though I’d been through the instructions the night before building I’d somehow managed to miss them. It’s no excuse but looking again at the instructions (stage 191/page 192) the pins are easy to miss and unlike other part placements they aren’t indicated.

I’d gotten as far as the final photo before, in the instructions, I caught a glimpse of a pin mocking me through a 15L liftarm. I was gutted! Thankfully it was just a case of removing the two 15L liftarms, the pins were then fairly easy to put in place. Disaster averted.

The most frustrating thing so far was attaching the turntable assembly to the main build. Getting all those pins to locate took over 40minutes. An exercise in patience to say the least. 

Apologies for some of the pictures. This is one big build and it's a job getting far enough away to fit the whole thing in. 

20180211_161724.jpg

20180211_162851.jpg

20180226_151658-1.jpg

20180226_154455.jpg

20180226_162755.jpg

20180304_145624.jpg

20180304_155837.jpg

20180304_164123.jpg

20180305_151027.jpg

20180305_160220.jpg

20180305_162705.jpg

Edited by grum64