Looking good, Clive. This is a set I refuse to get, not because it's not great, but because I don't want to get hooked on an expensive collection (I also have the same policy on the Architecture, Creator buildings and Train collections). I'm really enjoying your updates and had a good laugh at the flying ABS - maybe you'll be the first to figure out how to make Lego fly.

I understand what you mean about not getting hooked on expensive collections but if do you ever get chance to buy this set cheaply I recommend you get it. It's a great build and a good looking model.

As for the flying Lego. I think it's best we don't open that debate again :classic:

Nice building on the Mini Clive and i liked the set also, but the VW Camper T1 is a better set and design :wink: .

Build Day 4 - Today's building time 2hrs 50mins - Total build time - 11hrs 50mins

I'm pleased to say that today was free of low flying parts. Today was also a really good build day being completely frustration free. I can ask no more.

Those of you who've built this set and so are familiar with the build stages will notice that the rear wheelarches aren't fixed in place. This is because after fixing them on and knocking them off six times within the space of 30 minutes (due to my 'man(mis)handling' during building) I thought it better to reaffix them nearer the end of the build.

You'll also notice that the slots on the metallic connectors making up the bumpers are showing their unsightly selves. I had got them so they didn't show but during the build they turn back into sight so they'll also be sorted out at the end of the build.

Today's progress.

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0251.JPG

Edited by grum64

Nice building on the Mini Clive and i liked the set also, but the VW Camper T1 is a better set and design :wink: .

Thank you Edwin.

Yes, the Mini is a really great set, but yes, I think the VW is a step up in terms of it's level of detail. I love the Mini though for sentimental reasons as much for the set itself.

Good progress. Will you be aligning the splits on the rear bumper?

Thank you Bart. I'm happy with progress, it's slow going though.

Assuming that by splits you mean the slots in each of the metallic connectors that make up the bumper then yes, I'll be aligning them so they can't be seen.

Edited by grum64

Yes, that's the slots I was talking about. I was wondering if you (like many of us) had developed slight OCD while building, I think we now know the answer. :laugh:

...I was wondering if you (like many of us) had developed slight OCD while building, I think we now know the answer. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Build Day 5 - Today's building time 5hrs 40mins - Total build time - 17hrs 30mins

After a few very busy days and no building I'm really pleased to be back at it. I'm pleased also with how the build is coming on. As you can see from the photos, I've made pretty good progress.

The only real 'flies in the ointment' today were fitting the two 10x2 plates that form what I guess is the parcel shelf behind the back seat. As the ends of the plates needed fixing onto the end studs of 2x2 and 1x2 Inverted Slopes it was a job to press them down to get them to connect properly without making the sloped bricks dislodge and fall inwards. It took the best part of 55 minutes to fit those 2 pesky plates and then it was more by luck than anything else, but whatever, they were done. Also, fitting the 'claws' that represent either HT leads or the manifold (I can't make my mind up which) were a pain but like the above, they're done.

One last thing, I like the 4L Bar being held in place by a black mini figure arm. I don't know about you but I think that's a very clever use of parts.

Todays Pics

IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0266.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0258.JPG

Your almost there Clive :thumbup:

Yes, it's coming along nicely. It's a really enjoyable build.

Yes, nearly there. Edwin's right about the VW being an even better model, but we Brits do love our Minis :classic:

Thank you Nick.yes, the VW is a nice set with some really nice details.

As for us Brits and our love for Minis, you're right but for me it has to be the original Mini. The BMW one whilst undoubtedly a good car is Mini in name only. In fact, calling it Mini is a contradiction in terms as it gets bigger with every new version.

Thank you Nick.yes, the VW is a nice set with some really nice details.

As for us Brits and our love for Minis, you're right but for me it has to be the original Mini. The BMW one whilst undoubtedly a good car is Mini in name only. In fact, calling it Mini is a contradiction in terms as it gets bigger with every new version.

Completely agree there. That BMW thing is more of a Maxi.... with less room inside, ironically!

Once you're done the next project should be to pimp it out with giant chrome rims, a slammed suspension, a subwoofer in the trunk and a massive coffee can as the exhaust tip. To impress the grand kids!

Once you're done the next project should be to pimp it out with giant chrome rims, a slammed suspension, a subwoofer in the trunk and a massive coffee can as the exhaust tip. To impress the grand kids!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've got Gandalf, after that I can guarantee in Jake & George's eyes not even a tricked out Mini will impress them :classic:

Once you're done the next project should be...

The next project's going to be the VW Camper.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 6 - Today's building time 3hrs 30mins - Total build time 21hrs

Not much to say really other than building today has been problem and frustration free. I think I'm on the homeward straight now, one more session should have it finished which is a shame. It really has been that enjoyable to build.

Todays Pics

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0276.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

Hey Grum great progress. You may want to review the steps involved for the head rests on the seats. I think they are positioned wrong. I did the same thing on mine.

Hey Grum great progress. You may want to review the steps involved for the head rests on the seats. I think they are positioned wrong. I did the same thing on mine.

You're right, they are wrong. Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention :thumbup:

Edit: Having repositioned the headrests I'm inclined to think they looked better where they were but I'll leave them in their new position for now though.

Edited by grum64

Build Day 7 - Today's building time 2hrs 5mins - Final total build time - 23hrs 5mins

Well, it had to happen. Yes, the 10242 Mini Cooper is finished and to be honest, I'm cuffed to bits with it but also a little sad.

I love the original Mini for both sentimental reasons and because I've owned & loved one so this build has been a bit special for me and I've enjoyed greatly.

It's been difficult on a few occasions and frustrating on many more but all that's taken nothing away from the satisfaction I've gotten whilst building it, it incorporates some interesting techniques a few of which I may use in future builds.

I think it's a great looking model considering the confines if the Lego building system I think the designer's done a brilliant job. The person who did the instruction book however needs to double check his work. I'm talking about the front and rear screens.

In my instructions it shows completely different screens, the front being a better one in my opinion, than those in the box. I have to admit to being flummoxed for a little but after checking online to see which was correct my mind was settled, I had the right ones. I'd have preferred the front screen shown in the book so as to have avoided the dreaded front screen 'wrap round' when you open the doors. This of course isn't possible as according to my research the screen shown in the instructions doesn't exist. If you know different please let me know so I can change it.

I've just realised that I've forgotten to turn the slots on the metallic connectors that make up the bumpers out of view. Rest assured, I'll do it tomorrow.

Anyway, here's the final photos. Sorry about the quality of a couple of them.

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

Thank you all for your very kind comments.

Now for a something a little different.

For some reason (best known to yourselves :classic:) some of you seem to like my WIPs. Up until now the choice of which set I build for these has been mine but little Jake had an idea. Why don't I let you choose what I build next.

Below is a list of sets that Jake and I have compiled one of which I'll build. Take a look and if there's one that you'd like me to build please let me know. I'll keep this open until I've finished my next build and then will build which ever gets the most 'votes'.

8285 Tow Truck

8258 Crane Truck

8110 UniMog

8275 Bulldozer

8274 Combine Harvester

8416 Forklift

8109 Flatbed Truck

8292 Cherry Picker

8466 4x4

9398 Rock Crawler

8063 Tractor & Trailer

8880 Supercar

42030 Volvo Front Loader

42029 Customised Pickup Truck

42043 Mercedes Actros

42042 Crawler Crane

42040 Fire Plane

42039 24 Hour Racer

Edit: New set added

Edited by grum64

I really like to read your WIP of the building progress.

So I would vote for the 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs because it is the largest set and therefore we all could enjoy your building process the longest time. :wink:

Dave

That is an impressive backlog you have with some of the finest models of the last years...

I would vote for the black cat. That is such a beast, you will enjoy every minute of building it.

I really like to read your WIP of the building progress.

So I would vote for the 42043 Mercedes Benz Arocs because it is the largest set and therefore we all could enjoy your building process the longest time. :wink:

Dave

Thank you Dave.

The Actros is a great set one I know I'd enjoy building. We'll see how things go.

That is an impressive backlog you have with some of the finest models of the last years...

I would vote for the black cat. That is such a beast, you will enjoy every minute of building it.

Thank you. I've still got a pretty good collection left after selling nearly 50 sets to pay for my shed. I've been wanting to build the Black Cat for a while now but as it's BNISB I've resisted the temptation.

I love this set. It was the first Technic set I ever built but as I had nowhere to display it it was dismantled, put in the box and foolishly I sold it. Yes, I know. Luckily I got the chance to buy another at a stupidly low price.

Edited by grum64

8880 supercar. One day I will have one of these. Until then... pictures will have to do.

Edited by Beard